New to Boards; help planning Oasis 3/6/10

Hi, I'm new to the boards, and am thrilled at the amount of information posted here. My 15 year old son and I are planning an Oasis cruise and had just a few more questions, and would be most grateful for comments or ideas.

First, we are looking at a D1 cabin, forward if possible and port side (ie. on the non-smoking deck side) How are these cabins, and what should we be aware of. (beds near bath vs. balcony, connecting room doors, larger balconies, location or deck)

Also, are skate rental available at the ice rink? Figure skate style, or can one find hockey style?

We're semi-experienced cruisers, having been on more than 10 cruises, but this will be our second RCL. This particular cruise, we have no interest in going ashore, as all the ports we have already visited and were not that impressed with, so we are really there for the ship itself and the timing since my son has school vacation. So we will be spending time in the cabin (hence the larger size and balcony). We are active -- my son will be in the pools, the gym and the video arcade, while I will be in the pool, the gym, and the spa when not exploring all the other things on the ship.

What should we not miss? Is the arade good, or lame? Shows, music, movies?

Thanks for any and all tips, ideas, help!

Hi, I'm new to the boards, and am thrilled at the amount of information posted here. My 15 year old son and I are planning an Oasis cruise and had just a few more questions, and would be most grateful for comments or ideas.

First, we are looking at a D1 cabin, forward if possible and port side (ie. on the non-smoking deck side) How are these cabins, and what should we be aware of. (beds near bath vs. balcony, connecting room doors, larger balconies, location or deck)

Also, are skate rental available at the ice rink? Figure skate style, or can one find hockey style?

We're semi-experienced cruisers, having been on more than 10 cruises, but this will be our second RCL. This particular cruise, we have no interest in going ashore, as all the ports we have already visited and were not that impressed with, so we are really there for the ship itself and the timing since my son has school vacation. So we will be spending time in the cabin (hence the larger size and balcony). We are active -- my son will be in the pools, the gym and the video arcade, while I will be in the pool, the gym, and the spa when not exploring all the other things on the ship.

What should we not miss? Is the arade good, or lame? Shows, music, movies?

Thanks for any and all tips, ideas, help!

You really can't go wrong on this ship, but to answer some of your questions:

The D1 balconies are deeper than the D2-D8 balconies and are really nice. They are large enough for a lounger even though I never asked for one. I was on the starboard side which is the side we docked on in St. Thomas and Nassau. We docked port side in St. Maarten. As for smoking, it is my understanding you may smoke on your balcony no matter what side you are on. The bed in my stateroom was next to the balcony. My best suggestion is for you to look at your stateroom category on the deckplan. For every two that are alike they will be grouped together on the ship. For example, rooms 598 and 600 were together and then there was a break between rooms and then you had the next two. For every two rooms, if you're facing them, the one on the right had the bed next to the balcony and the one on the left was next to the closet. I was on deck 9, room 600 and my bed was next to the balcony. This was my unscientific discovery by walking down halls and viewing the different rooms as they were being cleaned. Don't hold me to any of this, but this is what I noticed near my location. Also, the deck plans will show which rooms are connecting and which are not. Just follow the legend.

The parades are ok. I would go to at least say you saw it. If you've seen them on the Freedom class ships then you could probably miss them. 70's night was fun on the promenade. Again, nothing to write home about, but it was entertaining. Ken Rush, the cruise director leaves a lot to be desired IMHO, but he's ok. Richard Spacey is so much more interactive and a lot funnier.

Most of the shows were very good. Hairspray should not be missed. An abbreviated, but well put together show for a ship. The aqua theater show also was very good, although I only saw an abbreviated version as the seas were a little choppy the night I saw it.

I would say just go with an open mind and explore, explore, explore. Visit as many of the eateries as you can. JR was good, Seafood Shack was good. Again, nothing to write home about, but not bad either. I didn't get to Chops, Giovanni's Table or 150 Central Park, but I've been to Chops on Freedom and it was pretty good. I didn't make reservations beforehand and it was tough to get a reservation so I didn't bother. Donuts are a little dry, but edible. Cupcakes were tasty. I had the carrot cupcake and I liked it quite a bit. Sorrentos Pizza is also a very good alternative as is, oh, all of the restaurants.

Just go have fun and be prepared to walk a lot. There is a lot to see and do and I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it.

Dorcas, thank you for your insights! From what I can see, we will indeed be doing lots of walking, but that is going to be the fun of it, since the ship will be the destination in and of itself for us on this sailing. I will try your cabin theory (and won't hold you to it!)

Thanks, Dusty

Archived