San Pedro

Thamsey

It takes 1 hour 20 minutes to reach Ambergris Caye by Water Taxi.

You can catch the Water Taxi in Belize City about 1 block to the left of the cruise ship terminal.

Pay very very close attention to the return trips, and I and several others here would advise to never take the last possible return water taxi to get back to Belize City. Take the one before your latest possible return in case you run into any problems.

The possibility of a visit to Ambergris Caye/San Pedro will depend on the amount of time you have in port, and remember this is a tender port- so if you are there from say '7-5' you aren't walking off the ship at 7:00 am you are more likely catching a tender at 7:30-8:00 and then have the 20 minute tender ride + Water Taxi ride to contend with.

Pay special attention also to ship time/local time.

Belize does not have Daylight Savings Time, so I believe there is a 2 hour difference in the winter from Miami, unless your ship changes time.

For a slightly more managable island experience in Belize, you might look into Caye Caulker. It is a 45 minute water taxi ride each way, and is much smaller- so you can pretty much see the whole island in a couple of hours, and that includes lunch and popping in a few shops.

I like Caye Caulker, and so do several others who post here. Do a search and you will see some info, and also a great example of why to pay attention to the time and weather. :eek:

I think San Pedro/Ambergris Caye is better suited for a land visit to Belize.

Here is a timetable for the water taxi.

You can also get there by taking a short, frequent, inexpensive flight from the Belize City Municipal Airport.

My wife once took a ship's excursion that went snorkeling and had lunch in San Pedro.

On our first cruise with Royal Caribbean we took their ship excursion to Shark Ray Alley right off the coast of San Pedro to snorkel and had lunch and shopped around San Pedro. It was amazing!!! But I was very thankful we had booked through the ship and not attempted it on our own...the ship was pulling anchor when our tour boat brought us back!!! Whew!!

Archived