Misty Fjords Float Plane Excursion

sgmburt

Ok...I must ask this question. We are going on this excursion in May. In the description it states it is approximately 2 hours with 60 minutes being in flight and a 10 minute landing. Where does the other hour go? Don't mean to sound ignorant but nothing I read explains it clearly. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

You need to head over to the Alaska board and ask this question. There are people there who have taken this excursion (I'm not one of them)....as well as some Alaska residents.

If you haven't been there yet, go back to the main menu, scroll down to "Ports of Call" and select Alaska. Lots of great information on that board.

In May of this year, I did the Misty Fjords flightseeing excursion with Island Wings (not the ship's excursion company). It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend them. We landed on a beautiful lake where we got to walk around on shore for about 20 - 30 minutes. I don't think the ship's excursion lets you do this...I think you only get to stand on the landing pontoon for a few minutes.

I'd recommend you do some research on the Alaska board then do some price comparisons. You'll probably be able to get a better price and longer ride from an independent operator.

You're going to love Misty Fjords !!

Diane

Just did this in August.

It is one of the most beautiful shore excursions I have ever done. Do NOT miss it.

Mine was booked privately and not through HAL.

The Price was much better, we had a beautiful plane, much more time at a very secluded spot with no other tours there.

We ended up not actually going ashore because the place our pilot found had a mother bear and two cubs!

In no way did we want to disturb them and were most content to stand on the (large and stable) pontoons of the plane and just admire. There were eagles and otters too.

I know my confirmation and voucher came through this company:

http://www.ShoreTrips.com/

I it is a bit long but here is the official description:

This will be my fourth cruise to Alaska and from personal experience, there is one excursion you do not want to miss, the flight seeing plane to the Misty Fjords. If you look on the Holland America excursions website this excursion has already sold out through the cruise line. We have chartered two private planes exclusively for our clients.

PRIVATE PLANE TO MISTY FJORDS...FOR UP TO 10 PASSENGERS

Misty Fjords National Monument is 2.3 million acres of rugged wilderness, awe inspiring geography and spectacular beauty. It has been called 'The Grand Canyon of the North'.

We have chartered a plane that can accommodate 10 passengers. , a DeHavilland Otter is perfect for flight seeing to the Misty Fjords. Each passenger will have a window with a panoramic view.

Upon arrival at our seaplane base, you will be greeted by your pilot who will personally assist you aboard your aircraft. After takeoff the flight will pass through Ketchikan airspace enroute to the Misty Fjords. Your trip to the Misty Fjords will take you away from crowds and will amaze you with its extreme beauty as well as its close proximity to the urban life of Ketchikan.

The flight path will take you over the vast expanse of Revillagegedo

Island and the Tongass National Forest. We cross the East Behm canal into the Misty Fjords Monument on the mainland panhandle of Alaska.

During the flight you'll have the opportunity to spot a variety of

wildlife in their natural environment. The highlight of this excursion will be landing on a remote wilderness lake in the heart of the monument. Although you land on the water, your pilot will assist everyone to shore where you'll have some time to breathe the fresh air and take in the awe inspiring scenery.

The incredible 17 million acre Tongass National Forest and the spectacular 2.3 million acre Misty Fjord National Monument - a wilderness of untouched landscape will take your breath away. You'll see massive rock formations and cliffs over 3,000 feet high adorned with ribbons of cascading waterfalls pouring into many beautiful lakes and saltwater fjords.

You will enjoy this luxury seaplane. An onboard audio entertainment system includes headsets that have noise-canceling to block out engine sounds and also feature voice activated microphones for verbal communications with the pilot and fellow passengers. Your pilot, rather than a recorded message, will provide full narration.

Our first plane has sold out at 7:40am and our second plane at 9:40am has 6 opening left. We have had many requests from cruisers who did not book through us to book this excursions but we are giving our clients one last chance before we open up to the public. The cost is between $200.00 and $250.00 per person depending on how many people book.

If you are interested in booking the excursion or have additional questions please give me a call 866 541-2187 or e-mail
ASAP!

I remember our Pilot had been doing this since he got his pilots license at 14 (or something equally amazing) and flying for his father's tours.

Hope this helps,

r.

We also used Island Wings and it was GREAT. Michelle (the owner and pilot) picked a landing spot where there was a bear. We got to go ashore and get some pics. The ship's excursions only stop in the middle of the lake for a few minutes (as someone has said).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord

Also while in Ketchickan, check out the Burger King not far from the docks for very fresh food. Not your normal burger king. It was closed the day we walked there, and saw someone washing a car. He said even the staff needs a day off, so we went to>>>>a place

Dutch by association mentioned. A fish house after his trip that mentioned a place where you could order, leave and go have a beverage close by. It starts with an S, I think... Sorry, but can't see my previous posts on this site. Ketchikan is not very large like most Alaskan towns, but try to get away from the dock area and go explore...

Happy Sailings..

In May of this year, I did the Misty Fjords flightseeing excursion with Island Wings (not the ship's excursion company). It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend them. We landed on a beautiful lake where we got to walk around on shore for about 20 - 30 minutes. I don't think the ship's excursion lets you do this...I think you only get to stand on the landing pontoon for a few minutes.

I'd recommend you do some research on the Alaska board then do some price comparisons. You'll probably be able to get a better price and longer ride from an independent operator.

You're going to love Misty Fjords !!

Diane

I didn't know there were other options available so I booked us through HAL just this week.

We used island wings last May and it was THE BEST shore excursion we've ever taken - the beauty defies description and we had great weather, too. Michelle flies a beaver so only 6 on the flight which is great - she's knowledgeable and her operation, though small, is first class - wouldn't miss it for the world!! (Just MHO):).

YaYa

Archived