First timers taking Carnival Valor march 29th - april 4th

tonppa

Hi

We are a couple (20y and 30y) from Finland heading for our first Caribbean cruise in March 29th with Valor (not booked yet thought). We are on a budget, so we would like to know how much extra-money we should prepare ourself for this cruise? The cruise itself costs 579$/person. We are looking for good time with nice people, beachlife/tanning and some partying ofcourse. We don't want to spend too much money. Is Carnival Valor the right choise for that purpose?

Do we get any non alcoholic drinks for free on the ship? how about water? beer? lemonade? if not, how much $ are they? Should we bring our own alcoholi to the ship the make some cocktails at our cabin :) ? We are not alcoholic - just on a tight budget!

What time should we be on the harbour at Miami, if the ship is embarking at 4pm? We don't want to stay on the customs queue for hours= we want to maximize our tanning time on the miami south beach on that departure day :) OR should we come to the ship very early and do some tanning on the sun deck?

What kind of program can we expect for our aged people (20-30y) ? Can we expect any partying/disco dancing 'till late hours or will it be more socializing and family-type of having fun?

What time are we expected to exit to ship on the last day in Miami? The Valor arrives 8 am to Miami. Is there any insider-tips how to escape these rush hours?

Are all ports we visit on the islands near nice beaches? We are really independent travellers who are not looking for organized tours. We want to explore the new places by ourself :)

The ship has a gym and spa. We want to work out too! Is the gym free of extra cost? How much are the spa-services, for example a typical massage? or facial? Any tips to save money with these?

I hope someone has time to help me with these:)

Many thanks and greetings from freezy Finland!

BR,

Tonppa

You are in for some fun in the sun! See my answers below in bold.

Hi

We are a couple (20y and 30y) from Finland heading for our first Caribbean cruise in March 29th with Valor (not booked yet thought). We are on a budget, so we would like to know how much extra-money we should prepare ourself for this cruise? The cruise itself costs 579$/person. We are looking for good time with nice people, beachlife/tanning and some partying ofcourse. We don't want to spend too much money. Is Carnival Valor the right choise for that purpose?

Do we get any non alcoholic drinks for free on the ship? how about water? beer? lemonade? if not, how much $ are they? Should we bring our own alcoholi to the ship the make some cocktails at our cabin :) ? We are not alcoholic - just on a tight budget! Tea, lemonade, water, coffee & juices in the morning are free. Not sure about milk... don't drink it. Soad/pop costs as does all alcohol. You can take your own reasonable amount of water and non-alcoholic beverages and one bottle of wine each. MANY also take their own alcohol, too... just make sure it is in your checked luggage and not carry on.

What time should we be on the harbour at Miami, if the ship is embarking at 4pm? We don't want to stay on the customs queue for hours= we want to maximize our tanning time on the miami south beach on that departure day :) OR should we come to the ship very early and do some tanning on the sun deck? We usually get to the port around 11 am and get onboard by noon-ish to get the party started. However there can always be delays, so that's not a for sure thing.

What kind of program can we expect for our aged people (20-30y) ? Can we expect any partying/disco dancing 'till late hours or will it be more socializing and family-type of having fun? There will be PLENTY of things to do and fun to be had for your ages, and partying/disco until late, for sure! Yeah, there's also socializing and family stuff... but there's something for everyone.

What time are we expected to exit to ship on the last day in Miami? The Valor arrives 8 am to Miami. Is there any insider-tips how to escape these rush hours? We do self-debarkation (carry our own luggage off) and were off the ship and to the airport in Miami by about 9am. It just depends on when the ship arrives and is cleared and debarkation starts.

Are all ports we visit on the islands near nice beaches? We are really independent travellers who are not looking for organized tours. We want to explore the new places by ourself :) Not sure where all you're going, but I'd have to just say YES on the nice beaches pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. Go to the Port of Call section here on the CC boards, and you can get TONS of great information for each port you are going to, especially independent tour information, which is usually what we do. You might also check out the Roll Call section to join others who will also be on your cruise.

The ship has a gym and spa. We want to work out too! Is the gym free of extra cost? How much are the spa-services, for example a typical massage? or facial? Any tips to save money with these? Gym is free, spa stuff costs, except you can use the sauna, steam room, & showers for free. Don't have any details on spa services.

I hope someone has time to help me with these:) The best thing to do is keep reading & reading these boards, and use the Search feature to find answers to your questions. Good luck!

BR,

Tonppa

My answers are in bold.

Hi

The Valor sounds like a great option for you. The Valor visits some beautiful ports plus has two pools and plenty of deck space for sunbathing. The disco is lots of fun in the evenings.

Do we get any non alcoholic drinks for free on the ship? how about water? beer? lemonade? if not, how much $ are they? Should we bring our own alcoholi to the ship the make some cocktails at our cabin :) ? We are not alcoholic - just on a tight budget!

The ship has water (not bottled), iced tea, and fruit drinks for free all day long. Beer and cocktails range from around $5 to $8 plus tips, if I remember correctly. If you purchase a cocktail, tell your waiter not to put it in a souvenir cup. Otherwise, they will do so and will charge you extra for doing so. Carnival allows you to bring soda onboard but not alcohol, with the exception of a bottle of wine (I think). Some passengers have been known to check a suitcase with a case of beer or a bottle of vodka inside without problems. Of course, I am certainly not advocating breaking the rules.

What time should we be on the harbour at Miami, if the ship is embarking at 4pm? We don't want to stay on the customs queue for hours= we want to maximize our tanning time on the miami south beach on that departure day :) OR should we come to the ship very early and do some tanning on the sun deck?

You definitely do not want to wait until 4:00 to arrive or you will risk being denied boarding. I usually try to arrive around 10:30 or 11:00 and usually end up boarding around 12:00. Once onboard, you may not be able to go to your cabin right away but instead can proceed to the Lido deck to enjoy the buffet, explore the ship, or change into your swimsuit and enjoy the sun.

What kind of program can we expect for our aged people (20-30y) ? Can we expect any partying/disco dancing 'till late hours or will it be more socializing and family-type of having fun?

Carnival provides something for almost everyone. Really, I think they cater more to young people like yourselves. There is an awesome disco, stage shows, karaoke, comedy shows, game shows, etc.

What time are we expected to exit to ship on the last day in Miami? The Valor arrives 8 am to Miami. Is there any insider-tips how to escape these rush hours?

I haven't figured out yet how to escape the crowds on the last day. Debarking the Valor is time consuming and stressful, or at least that was the experience I had. You will save time, though, if you grab your own suitcases and do the self-disembark. I regretted not doing this as I watched the luggage carrousel go round and round for what seemed like eternity. You will need to be out of your cabin around 8 am at the very latest but should have just enough time for breakfast before you exit the ship.

Are all ports we visit on the islands near nice beaches? We are really independent travellers who are not looking for organized tours. We want to explore the new places by ourself :)

Definitely visit the port section of the boards to help you in making plans. It's so easy to get a taxi at the ports, although I would suggest arranging a tour in Belize in the interest of safety. There are no beaches near the port in Belize. You would have to book a tour to get to one, as far as I am aware. There is a public bus in Grand Cayman a couple of blocks from the port that will take you to Seven Mile Beach (beautiful) for just a couple of dollars each, or the taxis are about $4 to $5 per person but the taxis make you wait until they are full before taking off. I think I heard that Roatan offers a beach right at the new port. Otherwise, you can take a taxi to the beach at West Bay - it's gorgeous! In Cozumel, take a taxi to one of the beach clubs. There are plenty of reviews in the boards section. There are also some ideas in this article:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2292391/guide_to_cozumel_beach_resorts_plus.html

I really love the Valor's itinerary. These islands offer fabulous beaches, although I can't speak for the ones in Belize. You may want to consider river tubing in Belize - just a suggestion.

The ship has a gym and spa. We want to work out too! Is the gym free of extra cost? How much are the spa-services, for example a typical massage? or facial? Any tips to save money with these?

Sorry . . . I didn't visit the spa or the gym. However, I talked to a passenger who said they were offering a special price on some combination of treatments one day that she couldn't pass up. Check in the capers each day to find out what the specials are. I believe the gym is free to use. There is also basketball and an outdoor walking track. You may want to walk through the spa on your first day and talk to someone at the gym. Both the spa and the gym are in the same area.

I hope someone has time to help me with these:)

Here is a link that was posted in a different thread for a long and thorough Carnival Valor review:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2368288/carnival_valor_cruise_review_western.html?cat=16

It's cold where I am too. I wish I were going back on the Valor again soon. Have an enjoyable and safe trip!:)

BR,

Tonppa

Just sailed the Valor...we had to be on the ship by 2:30pm. That was their final boarding time. Of course, I was there by 11:00am and on the ship by 11:30 (I'm a Platinum, so board VIP). I loved the ship and am looking at doing it again next Christmas time. The itinerary is AWESOME and the Crew is FANTASTIC.

Never had a problem finding a lounger to layout on. Never felt crowded. Of course, I like the Conquest class ships.

Should we book through Carnival-site or expedia.com etc? We will book seaview-cabin first, but are hoping to get a good offer to upgrade it. We are hoping for a cabin with a balcony.

Should we do the upgrade right now or wait for a while after the booking?

We will travel from March 28th on.

Archived