Southampton

rge

I was in Southamptom for 3 days prior to joining the Nov 11 crossing, and stayed at the Jurys Inn - loved it. The place is only a year or two old and the staff are very helpful. I am not aware of a free shuttle, but I actually walked to the train station for a London day trip, and the cab back was less than 6 pounds. There is a delightful park in front of the hotel that leads to the shopping district and the waterfront is just a 20 minute walk. I look forward to spending more time in Southampton on my next trip. You'll have a great time.

The Novotel is ideal for the train station. This hotel caters to the cruise crowd and will quickly get you a taxi to the pier. The Mayflower pier is not a bad walk.

Note: the taxis in England are civilized and courteous, unlike USA.

The expensive Friday's, which also features very poor service, is the only restaurant other than the hotel restaurants close to the Novotel.

We found the huge buffet on the top floor of the John Lewis department store in the mall to be ideal for breakfast, and good training for the King's Court.

There is also a wonderful Italian restaurant a block on the other side of the train station, and most wonderful of all, is the Plymouth Theater, on the same street, with first-class West End shows, with stars such as Tommy Tune, and the most amazing thing that English live theater has: ice cream kids in the aisles during intermissions!

stop

David

Archived