Cuban Cigars

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

There is a shop in the back corner of the cruise terminal that has Cuban's. Decent prices it seemed. I got a 5 pack of Monte Christo's. I can't remember if they were 1's or 5's, but they were about 5" long & thickness of a finger. They were in the $35 range for the pack.

Mike

http://gallery.me.com/csealove/100277

There is also a factory which produces them that is a stones throw away from the cruise terminal. You may get a better price there. The name escapes me right now. When you exit the cruise terminal hang a left and walk about a minute...you will see directly in front of you a small cluster of brown buildings...you have to cross the street. The cigar factor is in that block of buildings

One must be cautious when purchasing “Cuban” cigars on the island, or any Caribbean island that isn't Cuba.

The fact is that most are counterfeit. There are only two places that I know on the island that actually sell a genuine Cuban cigar (ask to see their shipping manifest!).

The cigar factory in Pelican village sells a cigar with genuine Cuban tobacco and covering. They are the freshest even though they weren't 'rolled' in Cuba.

I think most (U.S.) folks don't realize that it is actually illegal not only to buy Cuban Cigars but to smoke them anywhere in the world.

Criminal penalties for corporations can go as high as $1,000,000US and $250,000US for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison.

Additionally

Additionally, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed!

JUST FOR SMOKING THEM! :eek:

I've never heard of any U.S. Citizen getting busted for smoking a Cuban cigar, but the way the world is today, I'd think it may be smarter to just sit downwind of your Canadian shipmate and inhale deeply. ;)

One must be cautious when purchasing “Cuban” cigars on the island, or any Caribbean island that isn't Cuba.

The fact is that most are counterfeit. There are only two places that I know on the island that actually sell a genuine Cuban cigar (ask to see their shipping manifest!).

The cigar factory in Pelican village sells a cigar with genuine Cuban tobacco and covering. They are the freshest even though they weren't 'rolled' in Cuba.

I think most (U.S.) folks don't realize that it is actually illegal not only to buy Cuban Cigars but to smoke them anywhere in the world.

Criminal penalties for corporations can go as high as $1,000,000US and $250,000US for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison.

Additionally

I've never heard of any U.S. Citizen getting busted for smoking a Cuban cigar, but the way the world is today, I'd think it may be smarter to just sit downwind of your Canadian shipmate and inhale deeply. ;)

The above post's information is basically accurate. The only place you can buy a cuban cigar and have a reasonable assumption of provenance is at an LCDH store. Anywhere else and you're almost guaranteed it's going to be fake. Don't bother asking for a "shipping manifest", if they are able to procure real looking boxes and bands, why would they not be able to produce a fake shipping manifest as well?

Good luck, please don't feed the counterfeiters!

Additionally

Wow! I knew it was illegal to bring them back but I didn't realize it was illegal to even smoke them:eek:!

I knew that the counterfeit market was alive and well on the islands, thats why I asked where to get one that wasn't. Though, in all honesty, as long as he enjoys the cigar, It really shouldn't matter where it came from.

Thanks for all the advice you have given me. I'm a worrier, so now I may try to talk him into just enjoying one that isn't cuban.

I have to take exception to the statement that it's illegal to smoke Cuban cigars anywhere in the world.

It is illegal to purchase and Cuban products under terms of the "Trading with the Enemy" act. However if someone gave you a Cuban cigar free of charge, I don't see how that would be in violation. I've heard it said that it's not technically illegal to go to Cuba, as an American. But once there, you can't legally buy anything, which would put quite a damper on your visit.

The only hazard you'd be likely to face, Cuban cigar wise, is if you were trying to import a large amount of them. I've brought them back with me every time and never a problem.

I think it may be a matter of interpretation.

The office of Foreign Asset Control uses the words: “dealing in or engaging in” is prohibited. Many interpret this to include smoking.

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2004/10/us_government_owns_you_and_you.html

I did miss a part of the law, however, in that it is illegal to buy or consume any product that contains Cuban tobacco, even if the tobacco is shipped from Cuba and then it is “rolled” in Barbados.

It can be grown from seed in Barbados, but not imported from Cuba and rolled into a cigar and sold to an American. So, those cigars sold at many places on the island that simply use Cuban tobacco are also illegal for Americans to purchase (consume).

Read the link and tell me what you think.

I have to take exception to the statement that it's illegal to smoke Cuban cigars anywhere in the world.

It is illegal to purchase and Cuban products under terms of the "Trading with the Enemy" act. However if someone gave you a Cuban cigar free of charge, I don't see how that would be in violation. I've heard it said that it's not technically illegal to go to Cuba, as an American. But once there, you can't legally buy anything, which would put quite a damper on your visit.

The only hazard you'd be likely to face, Cuban cigar wise, is if you were trying to import a large amount of them. I've brought them back with me every time and never a problem.

Actually, it is in fact illegal for you to have in your possession Cuban goods even if they were gifted to you. We've had this discussion ad nauseum on several of the cigar boards at which I'm a frequent contributor, and it's been shown and documented that you can't even be gifted Cuban cigars.

In reality there will be no black helicopters or secret agents that are hiding in the shadows waiting for you to purchase a Cuban cigar at a store in the Caribbean, or anyone who really cares at all. But you would be surprised how many people fail at customs and try to claim that the Cuban cigars they are carrying are "within the limits" or "were gifted" so they're OK.

While you are smuggling in your cigars I hope you contemplate that you are indirectly supporting a political regime which has denied its own people basic freedoms, nearly starved them to death (the people were eating tree leaves just to stay alive a few years ago), imprisoned its political opponents, refused to compensate foreign corporations for properties "nationalized" (ie seized and appropriated) 45 years ago, was party to an international nuclear confrontation, exported communist soldiers to Bolivia and Venezuela to forment unrest and continues in its activities to the present.

So thank you for supporting American principles and guidelines as any patriotic American should when in a foreign country, regardless of whether you agree with all of our government policies. and all for the sake of a good smoke.

If you don't agree with the above, spend a weekend in Little Havana in Miami or Union City in New Jersey and get the real stories from people with first hand experience.

Archived