grand cayman scuba

wopper81

I am gonna be in grand cayman in june and i was wondering which dive shop to dive with? i begin scuba classes soon so this will be my first certified dive. also, i recieved a sea life dc800 camera w/ housing for christmas, anyone have one that can throw out any suggestions or tips? thanks

I have done shore dives out of the dive shops at port. If you have a dive buddy you can rent or bring your own equipment and go out. They are both to the right as you get of the tender. I like the first one because the entry is easier for me. If you don't have a dive buddy you can wait and go out with someone else. I have heard the boat dives that you book on board are also good. I enjoy a shore dive from time to time and this is reasonable and yu don't loose anything if the weather is bad.

First dive after certification? IMO, you're going to need a guide, especially if you are going to do the shore diving at Eden Rock where there are 2 nearby dive shops; http://www.Abanksdivers.com.ky and http://www.EdenRockdive.com

edenrockmap.jpg

I'd prefer going with http://www.neptunesdivers.com Make sure you tell whoever you dive with that you are a new diver.

First dive after certification? IMO, you're going to need a guide, especially if you are going to do the shore diving at Eden Rock where there are 2 nearby dive shops; www.Abanksdivers.com.ky and www.EdenRockdive.com

edenrockmap.jpg

I'd prefer going with www.neptunesdivers.com Make sure you tell whoever you dive with that you are a new diver.

Good advice Bruce, as always. I think you should also skip carrying the camera on your first few dives (know that will be disappointing). You don't want to overload yourself with too many things going on for your first dives.Simple little problems can lead to bigger problems, which can lead to really BIG problems.I remember my OW instructor taught me "It is never one thing that kills you".

I have found my underwater photography skills leave much to be desired.Many of the dive operations in the Caribbean will send someone down video taping your dives. Tell them you want to buy a video and please make sure they get lots of footage of you.

Congradulations on your certification and I hope you have a great trip.Grand Cayman is awesum.

I am gonna be in grand cayman in june and i was wondering which dive shop to dive with? i begin scuba classes soon so this will be my first certified dive. also, i recieved a sea life dc800 camera w/ housing for christmas, anyone have one that can throw out any suggestions or tips? thanks

We're going to be in Grand Cayman in February. It will be our first dives outside of the local quarries we've been in. We're using Nepune's Divers (which I believe we got the original recommendation from Bruce-r, but a lot of other people have recommended them too). Definitely tell anyone that you're very new. After we booked with Neptune's, we emailed back to Casey and told her about our dive experience (or lack thereof) and she was very appreciative that we let her know and she told us not to worry that they would be there to assist us as well as point out everything interesting so we don't miss out just because we are new to this. Check out their website at www.neptunesdivers.com (neptunes with an s). If you hit the "About Us" bubble, it tells a little about each of them and it sort of makes you feel comfortable seeing who you might be diving with. We were really nervous about our first saltwater dive which is also our first boat dive, etc., but after getting booked and communicating with Casey, we don't have any fears left. They take out a maximum of 8 divers on each boat which made us feel good too. We didn't want to do the "cattle boat" dive for our first. We felt having fewer divers would be better for us. However, less divers also means you should try to book as soon as possible. Hope this helps. Good luck whoever you go with and as always, Safe Diving!!!

Good advice Bruce, as always. I think you should also skip carrying the camera on your first few dives (know that will be disappointing). You don't want to overload yourself with too many things going on for your first dives. Simple little problems can lead to bigger problems, which can lead to really BIG problems. I remember my OW instructor taught me "It is never one thing that kills you".

Thanks, and I TOTALLY AGREE with the advice to leave the camera on the boat and not take it with you on your first 10 dives. You really want to avoid task loading until you are sure of your skills underwater.

Archived