looking to buy snorkel gear HELP!!!!

hlb76

we are looking to buy snorkel gear to take with us on vacation this year. We are novice snorkelers. We have done a few tours as well as some snorkeling from the beach. I dont want to spend a lot on gear but I dont want some cheapo leaking crap either. Please help if you have any suggestions on where or what to buy.

I am leaning towards this set anyone know anything about it. http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Cozumel-Seabreeze-Proflex/dp/B000EM2RZ0/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url The price is right and reviews look descent. I need 4 pairs if we each get a set. I know buying good gear is a investment but I just cant afford that type of investment right now.

any suggestions. We only snorkel on cruises and I would say just off the beach. If we where to do a tour again I would bring my own snorkel but could always use there mask and fins. We might use it while we are on the beach at HMC and Grand turk. I know off the beach neither has good snorkeling but the kids like to look for sand dollars and shells etc. In St Thomas we plan to go to Coki beach but we are only there for 2 hours. I have no issue upgrading over time. Just to spend $50 and up times 4 right now if not in the budget :( but I figure at $10 - $30 a port it would be easier to buy these for $30 a person.

The biggest problem with buying masks off the internet, is you can't confirm the fit. And if it does not fit correctly it can leak. Snorkels and fins won't matter as much.

If you plan to snorkel more over the next few years I would suggest investing more on good masks, I still have a mask I got over 20 years ago on it works fine. (Taken care of and stored properly of course).

You might want to go to your local Scuba shop to compare, they will be more expensive there, but you can at least get an idea.

ALOT OF POEPLE I SEE ON excursions use a set like that the biggest problem could be the fins. they might not be the best, or fit all that well. i spent 120 on my fins and they are like rockets for your feet. but on a limited budget thats not going to happen. if you plan on doing alot of snorkling definately upgrade in time. but that set should be fine a big big plus compared to my stuff your gear will be alot more easier to cart around trust me.

My first snorkel set was a US Diver set (about $50) It was great and lasted years. But it did have differant size masks. This set says ONE SIZE FITS ALL. In my family that wouldn't work. My wife is 5 feet and thin as a rail, I am 6 feet and wide as a whale. Keep shopping and try a sporting goods store or dive shop that will let you try the masks on.

You'll want to check out a place that sells masks (be it a dive shop or whatever) I was really surprised at how different masks fit. The mask I REALLLYYY wanted, turned out it didn't fit properly so I could buy it. I was bummed out about it, but knew better then to buy a mask that didn't fit. Remember it's NOT a good deal if you buy it and spend all your time emptying out all the water it'll collect if the fit isn't right. I'd rather be exploring underwater.

Oh and the best part was I checked leisurepro out online and the dive shop I bought our equipment from was just as good with their prices. So check around, we must have tried on about 10-15 masks each!

We went there and tried on several of their combo sets until we each found masks that fit - that's the big thing so you get no leaks. I think ours were like $40/set, and I think we had a $$ off coupon. I just checked online, and there were quite a few options for less than $40. I know, not the best quality, but you may find it's do-able for a start, and you can upgrade a little bit at a time if you find you're going to do more snorkeling.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought the US Divers sets from Costco and we have got more than our money's worth. We've taken them to Hawaii 3 times and our adult kids have used them also. They have a handy carrying case, I know they fit and how clean they are. It takes the worry of finding a snorkel shop, if they're going to run out, having the wrong size, etc.

We bought the US Divers sets from Costco and we have got more than our money's worth. We've taken them to Hawaii 3 times and our adult kids have used them also. They have a handy carrying case, I know they fit and how clean they are. It takes the worry of finding a snorkel shop, if they're going to run out, having the wrong size, etc.

we are looking to buy snorkel gear to take with us on vacation this year. We are novice snorkelers. We have done a few tours as well as some snorkeling from the beach. I dont want to spend a lot on gear but I dont want some cheapo leaking crap either. Please help if you have any suggestions on where or what to buy.

I am leaning towards this set anyone know anything about it. http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Cozumel-Seabreeze-Proflex/dp/B000EM2RZ0/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url The price is right and reviews look descent. I need 4 pairs if we each get a set. I know buying good gear is a investment but I just cant afford that type of investment right now.

Hi, we just got back . we had purchased new snorkels and masks at a dive shop instead of using our old cheap body glove set from sams club. gott tell youthe old cheap ones neverleaked but the new more expensive oe did. i tghtene it adjusted it but it stillleaked smetimes. so i wuldn't spend to much money becus the are usualy nt rturnbe. sorry kebard is on thee fritz.

We bought two of this exact set and have used it for three cruises. It fits me wonderfully. DH has trouble with the mask a tiny, tiny bit due to him having a mustache (I need to look for tips to deal with that). Otherwise, we really like them. Fins are ok-better than the rental ones, but you won't be moving "lightening fast". I can comfortably keep snorkeling for a long time in this set, so it's served us very well.

My first snorkel experience was using rental gear and the mask fit horribly. I think having a new mask and fitting it to you from the start is important. I marked my set, so we don't get them mixed up.

... DH has trouble with the mask a tiny, tiny bit due to him having a mustache (I need to look for tips to deal with that).

I dive and snorkel with a mustache. Before I go I shave a small area just below my nose (about a eighth or quarter of an inch) with a disposable razor. Have your DH try that.

• 2 weeks later...

These are pretty good for the money. The masks fit everyone in our family. The snorkels are very good at keeping out even big waves. The fins are small and light enough to pack easily. Not perfect but not bad.

We are going snorkling in March in the Caribbean. I wondered about purchasing the snorkle equipment while we were there. Is this a feasible possibility?

We have booked trips in Antigua (Eli Eco); Silverwind in Barbados and Woodwind in Bonaire. We are also visiting Grand Cayman where we have not booked anything definite yet.

My husband takes size 13 (UK) shoes, so flippers that size will take up all our luggage space and we probably will not be snorkling after this cruise so want something reasonably priced that we can probably leave behind. Time just not being on our side!

Can anybody help with this idea?

Thanks

jtsbusiness - my hubby is a scuba diver/avid snorkeler and wears size 13 shoe. We had to buy his fins online as the rentals usually only go to size 12. The scuba shops might handle size 13, but not all. You might shop online first for scuba shops where you plan to go and then see if they have the gear you need and pricing before you leave.

hlb - I think U.S. Divers is a good brand to start out with. I don't think you will be unhappy.

I wear prescription lenses and have had a Bodyglove generic RX mask for years. I just today found 2 sites online for a mask where I can nearly get my exact prescription for the same $$ as the generic. Times are changing with shopping online - I hope my new mask will fit as well as my old one, though... I really like my Bodyglove equipment and we have snorkeled several times.

I love love LOVE my bodyglove rx mask. It's generic, I guess, in that it's just labeled "strong lens", but being able to see underwater (and even above) for someone who doesn't wear contacts is invaluable. My daughter has a narrow face compared to my round one, but my mask was the only one that didn't leak on her, and once she was in the water the rx didn't bother her even while wearing contacts.

I also love the dry snorkels and think they're worth the money. Paid $30 for ours 6 yrs ago. We don't own fins so if not with a tour our feet do the kicking. I can't imgagine having to store two, much less 5 on our next family trip, sets of fins in luggage (and carrying around shopping after the snorkel excursion). :eek:

I have a Body Glove women's set that I got from Bart's Watersports several years ago, after several frustrating experiences with rented gear. I always use the rental fins, though, so I don't have to pack those. I love the mask, which is designed to fit a woman's narrower face. One size fits all is never as good or as comfortable, and I hate fussing with gear when I'd rather be looking at stuff. Also can't stand the idea of putting something of questionable sanitation in my mouth.

Be sure to check the fit of the mask first thing. Put it on your face without the strap around your head, close your mouth, and breathe in through your nose. The mask should stay in place and not fall off. A good way to keep your mask from fogging is to spritz it with a very mild detergent/water combination on the inside, then rinse. I bring it in an old small travel-size hairspray bottle that fits in my fanny pack, and spritz before jumping in the water.

DH has a mustache and he just trims it super close on snorkel vacations. I also heard that you can put vaseline on it, though he hasn't tried that one.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to decide if we should buy our own snorkeling gear or wait and rent or buy on the cruise. We will be going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. My thoughts and pros and cons are:

Our first time to snorkel, so if we buy, we can practice?

My husband doesn't mind germs from renting used snorkels, but I do, lol.

We've already spent a ton on different small things getting ready for the cruise and at this rate we won't be able to afford the excursion anyway lol.

We might use the equipment again; probably would as we are beach people, go to Florida as much as we can and will probably cruise again soon.

So - what's your opinion?

The US Divers sets are great for families on a budget.

Get the ones with the short Trek fins, they are much better for travel.

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/us-divers-admiral-mask-island-dry-snorkel-trek-fins-snorkeling-set.html?mybuyscid=10298282734&ICID=PRT=MB1

We have had ours for a couple years and they have more than paid for themselves.

Archived