How safe is Mexico?

jasper02

My best friend and I are planning on hitting the Mexican Riviera soon, and I am wondering how safe it is there. We are two single women in our late 30's. I would like to spend most of the time shopping, and I am sure most of the authentic Mexican items (not the normal touristy trinkets) are off the beaten path. Would we be safe meandering around on our own (using common sense of course) or would we be better off staying with the ship's shopping excursions?

Thanks!

Valerie:D

Recently there was (again) a discussion about this on this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102631

Yes if you use common sense you will be safe. Nobody gets guarantees, rember that apart from cruiseshippassengers thousands of tourists are here for a long pleasant winterstay.

My best friend and I are planning on hitting the Mexican Riviera soon, and I am wondering how safe it is there. We are two single women in our late 30's. I would like to spend most of the time shopping, and I am sure most of the authentic Mexican items (not the normal touristy trinkets) are off the beaten path. Would we be safe meandering around on our own (using common sense of course) or would we be better off staying with the ship's shopping excursions?

Thanks!

Valerie:D

Most of the taxi drivers are good people trying to make a living, so they do a good job looking after the tourists. They also know the city very well, and can find what you are looking for. Just be sure you agree on a price before you get in the cab. They also get credit from some merchants for taking you to their shops, so be sure you are comfortable with the prices or get them to take you to another shop. Safety is not usually an issue when you are in a taxi.

You should be safe as you would be in any major city. I like that you already know to use common sense. Research where you want to go to see what is safe and what is not. Mexico does try to do a good job at keeping the tourist areas safe.

You should be safe as you would be in any major city. I like that you already know to use common sense. Research where you want to go to see what is safe and what is not. Mexico does try to do a good job at keeping the tourist areas safe.

Agree 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

Valerie,

If you want a more authentic shopping experience while in Cabo head to the old town center of San Jose del Cabo, about 40 minutes away. My daughter and I took the public bus for about $2 and felt very safe. There are some good sidewalk restaurants and the nearby beaches are uncrowded but sometimes closed to swimming due to high surf or undertow.

• 1 month later...

Archived