New to Cruising

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do!

• We always fly in the day before, with airlines the way they are it makes for a lot less stress if your flight is delayed.
  • Cross pack, in other words put some of each persons belongings in each suitcase that way if a bag gets lost you have a selection to wear.
  • I pack everything in 2 gallon zip lock bags with white tissue in between. This way when you unpack everything is fresh and wrinkle free. Remember on a ship they do not have irons and you cannot bring them with you due to fire hazards.
  • We always bring a full sized can of Lysol and spray everything down before we unpack, we spray periodically during the week to freshen/sanitize the air. Remember you can't burn candles in the cabin.
  • Make sure your documentation is in order and be sure to fill out the online check in section.
  • We are cruising in April and will be putting a carry on out in the spare bedroom as soon as the Christmas decorations are down. As we purchase things to take we just throw them in there (books, toiletries, etc) and then organize them before we go. That way we don't forget anything.
  • Any over the counter meds, or cosmetics that you use should be bought and taken with you as they are more expensive on the ship and the selection is limited. they provide shampoo and body wash in the shower but it is really really funky.
  • If you drink a lot of soda the soda cards are a good value.
  • If you drink a lot of wine with dinner the wine package offers savings. There is a wine tasting event during the week that is fun if you like wine.
  • Wear or bring in your carry-on what you plan to wear the first day because your luggage may not arrive in your cabin until early evening.

Hope this helps!

• Definitely agree - fly in at least a day early if not 2 days depending on where you live and what the season is.
  • They don't have irons so bring a small Downy wrinkle release and that will take the small wrinkles out.
  • I keep an extra toiletry bag just for travel that is always packed with Bonine for seasickness, deordorant, perfume, Tide pen, aspirin sample size, comb, brush, suntan lotion. I just check expiration dates and replace when necessary. Once I forgot my perfume so every night before dinner I went in the perfume store onboard and sprayed myself. Would have bought it but I only had carry on luggage and would have been over the 3 oz. allowed in carry on.
  • If you take medications, bring them carry on in their prescription bottle. Some airlines can ask to see your prescription especially if they are narcotic kinds. Also if anything happens they know what you are taking rather than guessing what might be in that tube.
  • If you don't like fountain soda then bring cans or bottles with you because that's what you get on RCL and I personally find the level of service not that good if you buy the soda card. You can pick up some at a store near the port in most cases and it's cheaper than buying on board.
  • Lay out your clothes and then cut it in half. Most of us so overpack and nowadays the restrictions at the airlines are heavy duty.
  • This is personal but I find the shampoos and soaps on the ship fine and don't need to lug extra around - but that's just my opinion.

A big thankyou to all who sent us the tips and suggestions. They are a big help. Especially the iron, and carry on's. Never thought of that!

Thanks again.

You're welcome! Don't forget to sign up for the Meet n Mingle on your ship!

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

There should be a board here to post and get to know the other cruisers who are on your ship prior to boarding. Once you sign up if they have 25 or more people signed up, Royal Caribbean has a party during the cruise with refreshments and they play games and give away gifts at the party. It is a nice opportunity to meet new people!

Congratulations!

• Cross pack, in other words put some of each persons belongings in each suitcase that way if a bag gets lost you have a selection to wear.

Hope this helps!

I never thought of this! Thank you for this suggestion. We've never had a problem on our previous cruises and it was just hubby and I with one bag, but with the kids going this time cross packing is a great idea!

You have received great ideas on what to pack, this is a little something I do with all our trips, and that is get a large mailing envelope or folder, mark it for your cruise. In this I place all my paperwork, anything you might print out on places you wish to see, and closer in to the cruise our Pass Ports etc, so its all in one place and I am not running around the house making sure I have everything . During the final month or sooner if you like, put the folder on your dresser or someplace close to where you packing.

undergarments I do place in your large Glad etc storage bags, and squeeze the air out, they are so much cheaper.

Have a wonderful 1st Cruise

I make up mailing labels with the names of people we like to send postcards to. This way we can just stick on a label write something nice and away we go.

Great idea using the mailing envelope Desert Cruizers!

There's some great ideas from all you experienced cruisers. Thanks Desert Cruizers for the envelope suggestion- I will definately be doing that. I am really looking forward to our cruise. All your ideas are greatfully recieved.

Thanks again.

Archived