Duty Free Shop at Pan Am Pier West

ME Guide

We will be sailing on Summit in April and would like to know if the duty free shop is accessible from both the east and west piers. We understand that Serenade will be at the East Pier on the same day.

We would like to purchase wine, Pepsi,and water for the cruise and wonder if it might be better to have the taxi stop us at a market prior to embarking or if it is just as easy to leave the ship and go back to the duty free shop since we do not sail until 8:30 from SJU. Would also love to buy a bottle of tequila but not sure if that would go through with my carry on?

I am confused about the east and west, as I believe there is only one Pan American pier in San Juan. The duty free is directly across from the check in at the terminal. Last year we bought at the duty free, put our purchase in our carry on and walked right on the ship. When we went on the Summit in December, I checked my bags with alcohol in rum runners and got called to the naughty room. However a friend of mine brought several bottles in her checked luggage, at the duty free and got back off and got more and never got caught. I think it is all subject to who is doing the screening. My suggestion would be to get the rum runners and put one in each bag. Maybe put something like wine on top so that if they find something, you can show them the wine and you will be okay with the rest. They don't dig through your luggage, you have to show them what you have. Most of the time, these rum runners are undetectable. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks kitkat...my understanding is that there are two docks. I guess I'm not sure how it actually is set up with the duty free pier.

We have used RR on all of our cruises. Thanks for your suggestions. I think it all depends on how you pack them. Right? I like your suggestions. I read your other posts and summary. Thanks so much for the info. We are looking forward to our first Summit cruise.

Archived