Transportation from LA to SAN DIEGO

shakotah

Hi,

We are cruising our of San Diego on Nov. 20/05 - round-trip Hawaii.

We are thinking of flying from Edmonton Alberta Canada using our Airmiles rewards but the only problem with this is that they only have flights to LA. Can anyone suggest what is the best way of getting from LA to San Diego (other than flying)? If we drive - how long is the drive and is it a complicated route? Any other mode of transportation?

Also, if anyone has any information on which is the best "Best Western" hotel in San Diego it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Depending on the traffic, it would take between 2 1/2 and 4 hours to drive from LAX to San Diego. Amtrak goes from LA to San Diego, but I haven't a clue as to where the stations are, etc..........you might check out Amtrak's website. Can't help with Best Western..... Hopefully a local will find this and post more complete information..........this is what I remember from living in LA many moons ago. :)

Rent a car and drive. Any other transportation would be a real hassle and add a lot of time to your trip. Well, except for a limo, and that would cost you a fortune! It's a very simple route, but the time as the previous poster said will depend on traffic and day of the week. I recommend a midmorning arrival, if you can do that.

The airport is very close to the San Diego Freeway (Rte 405), which is the main road you will take. The most straightforward way is 405 south until it merges into the I-5, then I-5 all the way in to San Diego. If traffic is heavy in Orange County (between LA County and SD County), you can take the toll road, Rte. 73 I think, which can save you 20 minutes or more on a busy day. It's $4.00 peak/$3.60 offpeak, I think, money very well spent. You can get a general idea of the route on www.mapquest.com. You'll need to know the address of your hotel, of course. Mapquest can be wrong sometimes, but it should be helpful.

I can't help you once you get into San Diego, unless you're staying with my inlaws.:D

Hi , I mostly agree with previous poster, to drive would be most convienent.Not everyone likes to drive our freways, if you do just remember patience is a virtue, you will need that at LAX as well :)

Your only other option would be the Amtrak, but you would have to taxi or shuttle to the LA train station from LAX and I am not sure how much that would cost. The Train runs from LA to San Diego (thru Orange County and then along the coast, nice ride) and the cruise terminal is right across the way from the Station in San Diego , you can actually walk it (we did) if you don't have too much luggage or grab a quick cab for the 4 or so blocks. But I think I would first check out the car option.

As for the Best Western in SD , which one, there are several in different parts of the city, some good , some not so good. Depending on the type of accomodation you are looking for.

I live here in Long Beach/LA and have been to San Diego many times, we have stayed downtown (more pricey) and on Hotel Circle (less pricey), just depends on what you want.

Have a great trip. Cori

Hi,

We are cruising our of San Diego on Nov. 20/05 - round-trip Hawaii.

We are thinking of flying from Edmonton Alberta Canada using our Airmiles rewards but the only problem with this is that they only have flights to LA. Can anyone suggest what is the best way of getting from LA to San Diego (other than flying)? If we drive - how long is the drive and is it a complicated route? Any other mode of transportation?

Also, if anyone has any information on which is the best "Best Western" hotel in San Diego it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I agree with the rental car...I responded to your other post (same one I think, different thread...lol) and I'm too lazy to type all that twice so if you want to, click here: http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112848

Archived