When does it sink in your on your cruise.

G&TQ

For me it is that first DOD and lunch on the lido.

When the key goes in the ignition on my big, black Bonneville GXP and Jimmy Buffett rolls non-stop out of the audio system.

I start getting into cruise mode WEEKS out from my cruise and I tend to cruise quite a bit!!

Come to think of it... I pretty much NEVER get out of cruise mode!!!

:D

The moment I cross the "threshold" from the terminal to the ship. I got a kick out of that "new ship smell" commerical a while back. My DH laughs at me because there's a smell that all the ships have that I immediately recognize as soon as I step onboard. That's when it hits me. Must be some kind of cleaner they use.

I'm the same way! That smell as soon as you walk on board it just hits me and I know I'm back!

What a great thread to read 5 days out... pumping me up!

I'll have to think consciously about this one next week but I think I'm gonna have to say when we pull up to the port and gaze up at her. Though walking the gangway is a whole other wonderful feeling.

Since I'm still awaiting my first cruise, I'm just guessing that it will sink in when I'm actually on the ship and checking out the room and unpacking and stuff. It still hasn't really hit me that I'm even going yet. It hits me in little spurts here and there.

Holly, you will have an excitement bigger than imagine. Have a great time and remember once you cruise you will want to go more often.

Mary Lee

I have only experienced it once so far.

After having to cancel 2 cruises before I finally went on one..

once I was out of the terminal and walking up the gangway, it finally

started sinking in, that it was really going to happen.

I think my wife kept saying something about watch where you are going.

I was like a first time visitor to NY city, looking up the whole time.:p

The Fantasy seemed so big.

I would have to agree with Cheseland Cruisers for me the big moment is when I see the ship for the first time wether I am driving or on a bus, shuttle taxi or walking from the hotel to the ship. Or in the case of my last cruise I got to see the ship from my hotel balcony docking in the predawn hours. (Carnival Elation in San Dieago) Then it is real.

I also have to agree with Mach that part of my brain is always in sort of cruise mode. Especially since I work on the original Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Tom

For me, it is when I am at the terminal and looking up at ship. I still get butterflies when I see these vessels up close. I enjoy sailing out of Port Everglades because I am close to the ship as I stand in line waiting to enter the terminal. :)

Dave

When all the check-in is done, and I slide my S&S card into the magic "Boing Machine". That gets it started. (I love the "Boing" sound....Carnival should offer it as a ringtone)

Lido Lunch, DOD, checking out my cabin and balcony are all important steps but.........

I think it really sets in when I turn off my cell phone and put it in the safe..........no contact with the outside world for the duration......only fun, sun, good food and relaxation.........:cool:

Can't wait 'till 4/10/10!!! :)

Since I'm still awaiting my first cruise, I'm just guessing that it will sink in when I'm actually on the ship and checking out the room and unpacking and stuff. It still hasn't really hit me that I'm even going yet. It hits me in little spurts here and there.

It's different once you step onboard. Up until then I always wonder if everything is going to go right and they are actually going to let me go with them.

You will never forget that feeling once you experience it. It is the best feeling ever!

Congratulations on becoming a cruise a holic! Oh yes. You will be.

I really don't start to relax till after the Muster Drill. Even after that I stay a bit wound up. Sure I like to walk around the ship the first day and take my pictures while everyone is having lunch, but in the back of my head I know I have to be at Muster in awhile. Then I usually wonder about my dining table and who is going to be there. By the time dinner is over I walk around the ship some more and get a feel for the crowd. I usually hit the bed early because I am tired.

It honestly isn't till I wake up on the first full day that I truly feel like I am on the cruise.

The 1st drink, the lunch on lido, watching the ship fill up, people watching and wondering what the week will be like, all lead up to my favorite part...

Sail Away!!!!

When the ship starts moving I feel like my cruise has officialy started.:cool:

The moment I cross the "threshold" from the terminal to the ship. I got a kick out of that "new ship smell" commerical a while back. My DH laughs at me because there's a smell that all the ships have that I immediately recognize as soon as I step onboard. That's when it hits me. Must be some kind of cleaner they use.

I know that smell, and you are right, every ship has it, every line that I have been on! That smell is so comforting, because I know that I am not dreaming, that I am actually there. I dream about being on the cruise for about a week prior to actually going.

Archived