Same day cruise-flight Toronto to Miami..worth it?

ovie08

Hey Brampton Cruiser here....

Just my two cents...the weather at that time of year can be unpredictable. In 2008 (March Break)we missed the ship due to a combination of weather and other factors. We had been booked with Carnival air on thru Chicago (NEVER AGAIN). Since then I have always booked my own air.

You are on the first flight of the day, so that is a good thing. However, if time is not a factor, I would definitely fly in the day before. The extra $360 is nothing compared to the piece of mind. Also, you can possibly avoid getting up (or not going to sleep) at the crack of dawn to catch that flight. You will get to the ship ready to start your vacation instead of being exhausted from travelling.

Have a great cruise...the Valor is one of my favourite ships.

We have been known to have nice snow storms in March.. it is doable.. but I wouldn't just for peace of mind;) $360 total for both HMMMM how did you swing that:confused::eek:

What's snow?? I'm complaining about the cold here in South Florida tonight....it's in the 40's....I'm origionally from Orlando....(I have been here for 4 years).....it's FREEZING outside!! Please, forgive my ignorance....but when I was visiting Cali and it was snowing it didn't feel as cold as it does here now..... is it like that it Canada? if not, how do you take it? it's freezing...lol... I will take my 90 degree weather any day! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would fly in a day earlier.... I'm sailing on the valor 02/07/2010... :)

What's snow?? I'm complaining about the cold here in South Florida tonight....it's in the 40's....I'm origionally from Orlando....(I have been here for 4 years).....it's FREEZING outside!! Please, forgive my ignorance....but when I was visiting Cali and it was snowing it didn't feel as cold as it does here now..... is it like that it Canada? if not, how do you take it? it's freezing...lol... I will take my 90 degree weather any day! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would fly in a day earlier.... I'm sailing on the valor 02/07/2010... :)

You do get used to it. But it still sucks.

Hey Brampton Cruiser here....

You are on the first flight of the day, so that is a good thing. However, if time is not a factor, I would definitely fly in the day before. The extra $360 is nothing compared to the piece of mind. Also, you can possibly avoid getting up (or not going to sleep) at the crack of dawn to catch that flight. You will get to the ship ready to start your vacation instead of being exhausted from travelling.

Have a great cruise...the Valor is one of my favourite ships.

I totally agree. On my 2nd cruise, years a go (I was totally clueless back then) I flew into San Juan same day for my cruise. Well, I was up all night packing - no sleep, and then the long flight to San Juan.....we boarded the ship as soon as we got there. I was so tired, I couldn't keep my eyes open. Went to my cabin to just take a short nap. Guess what? I missed sail away. I woke up in the middle of the night after missing sail-away and dinner! I was so mad!!! All because of the rush, rush, rush the night before and the day of the cruise. I learned my lesson.

Been there and done that three times between November and March!

I have not had a problem with the flight from Toronto at 6:30am and the nice thing is that by the time you pick up your luggage and organize yourself they will have started pre-boarding at the port. Sleep on the plane and you'll be ready to go! You have several hours of wiggle room so go for it! I would do it again! Hope I am not jinxing you!

As for the loooong delay coming back, I did the tour thing through Carnival and that only takes you to noon, then the next times I around I put my luggage in storage at the airport and then headed to South Beach which has wonderful stores, restraunants and a beach or head to one of the malls near the air port. Spend the money that you saved with the flight!

I would never come in the same day. Even without bad weather, I am very rarely on time any more when I fly, and miss conections all the time. Planes are so full they have a hard time re-booking when you miss flights. Add bad weather and it gets worse.

American has a flight (1 stop) that will get you into FLL at 11 pm the night before - same price (about $197 one way taxes in) - you could easily spend the night at a FLL airport hotel and get to MIA to board the ship in the morning.

Another option is the direct flight via Westjet - also on the 6th - a bit more at $228 - gets you into FLL @ 11:30 pm as well....(but no stopover).

I would not chance flying in day of cruise - I have always had delays - even in the best weather (mechanical problems on 1st plane,....also on 2nd plane...was supposed to leave Ottawa at 11 am for FLL cruise - ended up leaving at 6 pm!!! landing at around midnight! and it was a beatufiul sunny day!). Luckily it was the day before but I was still freaking out a bit! Throw in some Canadian winter weather...and well who knows!

P.S In any case I do hope you also have travel insurance???

Thanks everyone for the help...

My girlfriend found some flights through ACC which actually aren't that bad on the Saturday direct to Miami...

My new question....what do I do for flight insurance or cruise insurance?

If I fly the day before what should I be looking at to cover my ass, or do I just go ahead without it?

THX!!

You should absolutely get travel insurance, not just to cover yourself for the flights, but if something happens onboard the ship, it could be a lot of money. On my last cruise, we had someone with a medical emergency while we were in Grand Turk, and they had to fly in an air ambulance from Miami to Grand Turk to take the guy back to Miami. That is really expensive, and of course, someone has to pay for it. That's what you get travel insurance for.

I see you're from Canada, so I'm not sure about this, but will Canada's healthcare cover you outside the country? My insurance company won't, so I get travel insurance just in case something happens on the ship. On one cruise, my dad got a foot infection, needed IV antibiotics. He was able to get it in the infirmary, so we didn't have to leave the cruise, but he had to pay upfront. It came out to around $500, but we got reimbursed by the travel insurance.

Thanks everyone for the help...

My girlfriend found some flights through ACC which actually aren't that bad on the Saturday direct to Miami...

My new question....what do I do for flight insurance or cruise insurance?

If I fly the day before what should I be looking at to cover my ass, or do I just go ahead without it?

THX!!

Get Travel Insurance and health insurance. Now, many people will have travel insurance through their employer and if you do then great. But do get Trip and cancellation insurance. Check out a few places that sell trip insurance and see what they cover. Its fairly cheap and a great piece of mind.

Hey guys, we planned a cruise March 7th - 2010 and its going to Miami for Carnival Valor Western Carribean.

The flight on the day before cruise is about $180+ more expensive each ticket (so $360 total couple)

The flight we CAN take on the day of cruise leaves at 6:45 (I believe) and gets to miami @ 9:45AM

The cruise is set to leave @ 4PM which gives us 6-7 hours before it leaves IF there is no delay.

Curious as to what people would do (especially Canadians or people who are familiar with Pearson Airport)

Thanks, need some more perspective. Do we spend the extra 360 + hotel for the day before, or risk it?

I have read some horror stories, but I think this flight is pretty early wouldnt you think?

And also --- if we were to get insurance, we might as well just fork over the rest of our money to get the day-before ticket.

Thx for your suggestions & input

DON'T RISK IT!!!

Spend the extra money on airfare and a hotel room. Bid a room on Priceline or Expeida. You do NOT want to run the risk of inclement weather in Toronto causing you to miss the boat!

And by all means buy the travel insurance! I would never cruise without it! Talk about peace of mind!

Yes it's going to probably blow your budget out of the water, but which would your rather have happen: resting comfortably in a hotel room in South Florida, knowing that you are only hours away from sailing off on your vacation; or absolutely sweating it out waiting thru a torrential snowstorm, wondering if they will hold the ship for you (and whomever else is on your flight and heading in the same direction)?

Good luck and let us know what your final decision is!

Hey guys, we planned a cruise March 7th - 2010 and its going to Miami for Carnival Valor Western Carribean.

The flight on the day before cruise is about $180+ more expensive each ticket (so $360 total couple)

The flight we CAN take on the day of cruise leaves at 6:45 (I believe) and gets to miami @ 9:45AM

The cruise is set to leave @ 4PM which gives us 6-7 hours before it leaves IF there is no delay.

Curious as to what people would do (especially Canadians or people who are familiar with Pearson Airport)

Thanks, need some more perspective. Do we spend the extra 360 + hotel for the day before, or risk it?

I have read some horror stories, but I think this flight is pretty early wouldnt you think?

And also --- if we were to get insurance, we might as well just fork over the rest of our money to get the day-before ticket.

If this question is not a joke, Do yourself a favor and fly in at least a day before and spend so time in Miami.

As mentioned, some companies provide out of country medical as part of their benefits. Before taking out insurance, check first of all what you're already actually covered for. Also, check with your credit company to see what coverage they provide if paying with credit card.

Between my credit card and company benefits, I'm pretty much covered when I travel. However, my sister, who has no benefits, tends to just use pc financial for her travel insurance as it's really inexpensive. So far, she's never had a claim so not sure what customer service after the fact is like.

Also consider how often you travel, as you can buy one-off travel insurance or buy a plan that covers you for a year, if you plan to travel a lot.

thanks everyone for your help

i have found out that i do have coverage through my beenfits thanks to your suggestions..

1 million dollar coverage on emergencies paid upfront.

so that means i need additional health insurance.

what do you guys recommend based on the plan i currently have?

also what do you recommend for the tripinsurance incase my flight does get messed up.

i have decided to take the day before because we found similar prices and i would rather start my first cruise without hassle...

any extra help on my above questions would help... thanks everyone you guys kick ass! lol

Compare flying out of Buffalo to Ft Lauderdale(Southwest Airlines) on March 6th, and returning late the day you disembark. :D You'll need accommodations in Ft Lauderdale, and car service to the pier in Maimi. I have used a limo service in the past and it was a better price then the Taxi services, but you'll have to do the research.

I hate flying out of Pearson and love flying out of Buffalo. Ft Lauderdale is much prefered over Maimi for pre-cruise stay.

I have had enough bad experiences (and witnessed others) with same day flights/cruises to know that flying in the day before is the only way to go.

I can remember sitting in Maimi airport for 10 hours for a delayed AirCanada flight:mad::mad:

Good Luck and have a Great Cruise:D

Tenga una cerveza fría para mí :D

thanks everyone for your help

i have found out that i do have coverage through my beenfits thanks to your suggestions..

1 million dollar coverage on emergencies paid upfront.

so that means i need additional health insurance.

what do you guys recommend based on the plan i currently have?

also what do you recommend for the tripinsurance incase my flight does get messed up.

i have decided to take the day before because we found similar prices and i would rather start my first cruise without hassle...

any extra help on my above questions would help... thanks everyone you guys kick ass! lol

There is a company that has a blue cross as its logo (not allowed to mention company names here). i use them all the time. For 3 of us its around $300. 5 Mill health insurance, trip cancellation, lost luggage coverage and so on.

Archived