Same day cruise-flight Toronto to Miami..worth it?

ovie08

We are on the same cruise. We live in Massachusetts and are flying out the day before, don't want to chance it with New England weather. Check the prices to fly into Fort Lauderdale, we found it was much cheaper. You can take SAS Transportation from FLL to POM for $15.00 pp.

I am a retired air traffic controller and I NEVER NEVER fly in on the day of my cruise. I fly in 2 days early in winter and a day early the rest of the year. There are way too many things that can go wrong on a good day, and adding in weather and the present security issues is way too much of a gamble for my taste.

We are on the same cruise. We live in Massachusetts and are flying out the day before, don't want to chance it with New England weather. Check the prices to fly into Fort Lauderdale, we found it was much cheaper. You can take SAS Transportation from FLL to POM for $15.00 pp.

Okay thanks

just so everyone is clear

Saturday (day before) would be a stopover and a 6hr45 min total flight time arriving around 6-7PM Saturday (BUFFALO AIRPORT) $218

Sunday (day of) is a direct flight 3hrxx arrival : 9:45AM $197

So...hmm

Just look at all possibilities, maybe Friday would be better coming in from Canada? I paid a little extra to get a direct flight from Providence RI to Fort Lauderdale. We are also staying an extra day in Fort Lauderdale and flying out on Monday.

Okay thanks

Saturday (day before) would be a stopover and a 6hr45 min total flight time arriving around 6-7PM Saturday (BUFFALO AIRPORT) $218

So...hmm

Okay thanks

So...hmm

$197 from Toronto to Miami seems VERY cheap. Is that inlcuding all fees and taxes? You want to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I agree a direct flight is always better than a connection.

Have you thought about the time of morning you will have to be at the airport?

As stated, you can take a chance and you will probably make it. But even if you do, it will still be a LONG day.

I am a retired air traffic controller and I NEVER NEVER fly in on the day of my cruise. I fly in 2 days early in winter and a day early the rest of the year. There are way too many things that can go wrong on a good day, and adding in weather and the present security issues is way too much of a gamble for my taste.

Fairly distinguishing professional for question posed. If he won't, don't!

I'm really surprised that Buffalo is more than Toronto! Though to be honest, if it's the first or second flight in the morning, you're not going to have snow related issues (unless we're getting 12"+) in Buffalo. If the plane is on the ground in Buffalo, they'll get it up. If not, there'd be no planes leaving the Western NY airports this week. Problem is more getting the plane TO Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse in the afternoon without a delay at the NYC airports. But if it's a morning flight? It'll leave. It's for this reason that I only book 8am flights or earlier out of ROC in the wintertime!

Have you checked SW prices too? SW flys out of Buffalo, but it doesn't show up on Expedia or Travelocity (or related sites.)

Check out jetblue to fort lauderdale. Although our cruise was from fort lauderdale carnival only had hotels left in Miami so we had transfer from fort lauderdale to miami and then to port.

Given that the distance isn't that far, if you can get direct to Fort Lauderdale it might be worth considering.

Though to be honest, if it's the first or second flight in the morning, you're not going to have snow related issues (unless we're getting 12"+) in Buffalo. If the plane is on the ground in Buffalo, they'll get it up.

If there has been any snow overnight, the early planes will have to be deiced and that takes time. It just increases the chances of the flight arriving late at the connecting point and the possibility of a missed connection.

j

Emailing you right now, friend!

:)

Go with your gut. I've never missed a cruise and we have always flown in the day of. We cut it close once in San Juan, but otherwise we have been fine.

But Jordan you live in a fairly nice climate and you are in the US, this is someone from a different country, I know it's Canada but they still are at the mercy of homeland security AND mother nature. A snowstorm or some other delay could mean the difference between making it and not.

I would never risk it from Nebraska, because we can and do get delayed flights and such, but even airlines are known for mechanical failures too.

Just to many variable that might not happen but I'm not willing to lose days off my cruise if they do.

We try to go to the port city (or a close city) a day or two early, it's also a great pre cruise relaxation treat. Sometimes if you try and book with a flexible schedule you can get better deals.

Good luck OP!!!

Cheers all, Carole

Check out jetblue to fort lauderdale. Although our cruise was from fort lauderdale carnival only had hotels left in Miami so we had transfer from fort lauderdale to miami and then to port.

Given that the distance isn't that far, if you can get direct to Fort Lauderdale it might be worth considering.

Yeah FL is only like 45 minutes or so (gotta include traffic in South Beach) from Miami, it's a good idea fmaxwell.

I have flown in the day of for every cruise I've taken with flights of less than 4 hours - Miami, San Juan, New Orleans. I minimize the risk by only going nonstop and making sure there is at least one if not two more later flight possibilities in case of mechanical difficulties.

I generally travel alone and it's hard for me to justify the extra couple of hundred dollars to fly in and stay a night early.

That said - I'd be watching the weather and if there was a risk of a severe weather coming in (Like that December storm that shut down much of the east coast) - I'd take the hit and change my flight at the last minute.

Em

I'm really surprised that Buffalo is more than Toronto! Though to be honest, if it's the first or second flight in the morning, you're not going to have snow related issues (unless we're getting 12"+) in Buffalo. If the plane is on the ground in Buffalo, they'll get it up. If not, there'd be no planes leaving the Western NY airports this week. Problem is more getting the plane TO Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse in the afternoon without a delay at the NYC airports. But if it's a morning flight? It'll leave. It's for this reason that I only book 8am flights or earlier out of ROC in the wintertime!

Have you checked SW prices too? SW flys out of Buffalo, but it doesn't show up on Expedia or Travelocity (or related sites.)

Exactly, the weather delays are usually caused when the hubs start to get delays... causes a domino effect.

OP, your flight is a non stop with an early departure? It should be fine.

Its all a gamble. Day or two early increases your chances but even then you could have a problem. Ive been delayed 36 hrs in JFK due to rain:eek:. 48 in Chicago due to snow.

If your plane is there in the morning you should be able to get out.

Another vote for flying in the day before. I highly recommend checking for flights leaving from Buffalo. It's usually half the price of flights from Pearson.

For our last cruise in October, it cost us $410 US for two people. Price from Pearson was asking $500-$600/person Canadian. Sure, we had to pay for gas to and from Buffalo ($50) and a week's worth of parking ($100) but it was still worth it.

We've flown with Southwest and Air Tran before. We would only fly from Pearson if it was our absolute last resort (or if someone else was paying for it!)

Good luck and have a great time!

Usually the first flight out in the morning is the last plane in from the night before if there was no storm or problem. So your plane should be there. If there is no weather problem and you are on a scheduled flight (not charter) you should be ok. Scheduled air carriers usually have a few more going the same day. eg Air Canada going to MIA or FLL. No line ups at security that early either. It is always a crapshoot flying in March from Toronto or Buffalo. I have always flown the day of the cruise so far so good, but my luck may run out somewhere. I guess it depends on how good your nerves are or how much you are willing to take a risk. If you hear about a storm coming you could try and change your date or time.

Direct flight from Toronto to Miami for $197????? That has got to be 1 way, and before fees and taxes or on a DC3.

We've done both, though even without delays flying the day of can be stressful. It is so much nicer to fly down the day before and arrive at the ship early and relaxed.

But Jordan you live in a fairly nice climate and you are in the US, this is someone from a different country, I know it's Canada but they still are at the mercy of homeland security AND mother nature. A snowstorm or some other delay could mean the difference between making it and not.

I would never risk it from Nebraska, because we can and do get delayed flights and such, but even airlines are known for mechanical failures too.

Just to many variable that might not happen but I'm not willing to lose days off my cruise if they do.

We try to go to the port city (or a close city) a day or two early, it's also a great pre cruise relaxation treat. Sometimes if you try and book with a flexible schedule you can get better deals.

Good luck OP!!!

Cheers all, Carole

Sorry, I forgot to mention that all of my cruises except the Valor one have been from Indianapolis. :) Whoops! I agree though, I have no idea how Canadian weather is. It's cold and sucky here, so it must be twelve times worse there! You're right, Carole.

Go Huskers :) I love Nebraska. My uncle is one of the heads of the college of Business and Finance, and he got us tickets to a Nebraska game once, and it was such a blast. FH loves Nebraska...so much that his Husky's name is Husker!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that all of my cruises except the Valor one have been from Indianapolis. :) Whoops! I agree though, I have no idea how Canadian weather is. It's cold and sucky here, so it must be twelve times worse there! You're right, Carole.

Go Huskers :) I love Nebraska. My uncle is one of the heads of the college of Business and Finance, and he got us tickets to a Nebraska game once, and it was such a blast. FH loves Nebraska...so much that his Husky's name is Husker!

Jordan you are a brave girl!!! I am too big of a planner to ever fly in the day of, the airlines are too ugly anymore, canceling flights and such. By the way that picture is so nice!!!

Hey......... I bet your uncle loved Bo and Carl, all us Nebraskans do.......... go Huskers indeed!!!

But right now I'd trade season tickets just to get out of the cold and snow for a few weeks, ugh more snow on the way tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers (dreaming of the carribean)

Carole

Hey guys, we planned a cruise March 7th - 2010 and its going to Miami for Carnival Valor Western Carribean.

The flight on the day before cruise is about $180+ more expensive each ticket (so $360 total couple)

The flight we CAN take on the day of cruise leaves at 6:45 (I believe) and gets to miami @ 9:45AM

The cruise is set to leave @ 4PM which gives us 6-7 hours before it leaves IF there is no delay.

Curious as to what people would do (especially Canadians or people who are familiar with Pearson Airport)

Thanks, need some more perspective. Do we spend the extra 360 + hotel for the day before, or risk it?

I have read some horror stories, but I think this flight is pretty early wouldnt you think?

And also --- if we were to get insurance, we might as well just fork over the rest of our money to get the day-before ticket.

Thx for your suggestions & input

We have been known to have nice snow storms in March.. it is doable.. but I wouldn't just for peace of mind;) $360 total for both HMMMM how did you swing that:confused::eek:

Ya I read that link,

I guess I'm looking for experienced cruisers to put theirself in my shoes and see if they would take the risk or not...

I could be in over my head being new to all this.. thats why I ask.

I realize there is substantial risk, just wanting to hear some other peoples opinions on this particular incident at hand.

Thanks

Only did same day flights once - during the summer. Flying from USA to Barcelona day before the cruise - which put me in Barcelona day of the cruise (albeit 8 hours before the ship leaves.) I was nervous. I doubt I'd ever do that again.

I fly from Newark, NJ. Only problem is we're a hub city, so our weather could be fine, but the plane I'm taking to Florida may be coming from Minneapolis where they're having a blizzard, meaning it could be delayed or cancelled.

Also, I'd take the insurance in addition to the day before flight. The insurance covers a lot more than missed connections.

Have you checked out other airports or connecting flights for lower fares?

Something for everyone to consider if you're taking any flight......

Don't assume that if you have good weather where you live, that your flight will be on time. Bad weather in one state can affect flights in all other states.

I flew out of Houston a month ago to FL for my cruise. I took the earliest flight I could on Continental. Weather here was great, not a snowflake in sight. I checked on my flight in the middle of the night just to check the status. Well, the plane I was flying on was on it's way from NY to Houston. Now, if there had been a delay in NY at the time due to snow, then I wouldn't have made it out of Houston (yeah, they probably would have put me on a later flight, but no guarantee at what time I would have arrived). BTW....I did fly out a day early.

Same in the summertime. I went on a Conquest cruise out of Galveston. There was a group of cruisers flying in from some other city in west Texas. They had to change planes in Dallas. Well, Dallas gets severe storms/hail/tornado warnings, etc. and DFW gets shut down alot. Well, the group of cruisers couldn't make their connecting flight in Dallas to Houston and missed their cruise in Galveston. Weather was great where they lived and weather was great down here, but in between, it wasn't.

So, always check to see where your flight is coming FROM. You can find out online on their website.

Hey guys, we planned a cruise March 7th - 2010 and its going to Miami for Carnival Valor Western Carribean.

The flight on the day before cruise is about $180+ more expensive each ticket (so $360 total couple)

The flight we CAN take on the day of cruise leaves at 6:45 (I believe) and gets to miami @ 9:45AM

The cruise is set to leave @ 4PM which gives us 6-7 hours before it leaves IF there is no delay.

Curious as to what people would do (especially Canadians or people who are familiar with Pearson Airport)

Thanks, need some more perspective. Do we spend the extra 360 + hotel for the day before, or risk it?

I have read some horror stories, but I think this flight is pretty early wouldnt you think?

And also --- if we were to get insurance, we might as well just fork over the rest of our money to get the day-before ticket.

Thx for your suggestions & input

I know that's a big difference in money, but I wouldn't chance it.

I've had flight screw ups due to bad weather a couple times. We live in Maine...once, flights were delayed up the entire eastern seaboard because if the south gets snow, everybody suffers. An inch of the white stuff puts them in a state of ememrgency! We were lucky that we were flying in one to two days early each time we had air issues.

There is no price tag on peace of mind.

Archived