Celebrity Catamaran excursion

rcprncss

Fantastic trip -we've done this 4 times and will do it a fifth this year. Good mix of snorkeling, scenic sailing and a bit of a party boat on the way back.

Only negative, on some trips the cat has been a bit crowded - but always found room to spread out a bit.

I have pictures in my link below from each of our 2007, 2008 and 2009 March cruises.

We just did this excursion two weeks ago (12/21) aboard the Millennium. If you are really into snorkeling, you will be disappointed. It was mediocre at best. All rock, no coral, few fish, all small.

However, as a full day excursion, including the catamaran ride, lunch, beach stop, and party boat upon return, it was alot of fun. Just don't go expecting good snorkeling.

Larry and tcdtcd, thanks for your response. :) Larry, I will check out your pictures. I am definitely not looking for a crowded catamaran. Been there. :)

I don't generally like crowded boat trips either. But i do like this one. There are lots of people on board but it is not nearly as crowded as others we've been on or seen in other ports. In fact the only reason I mentioned it since some good cruise friends of our didn't like it as they felt it was too crowded. But on the same trip other cruise friends enjoyed it as least as much as we do. Also- the size of the crowds vary and on one trip in February 2007 it was very roomy on the catamaran.

Here is a link to our most recent trip:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Constellation-March-2009-b2b/March-27th-2009-Sailing-All/7889882_ArRPb#511616945_Xyx7y

Look at the photo the link goes to and the next 20 or so that follow. Also note that they usually go to a beach on Nevis but last year they served lunch on the boat and went to a beach on St. Kitts as the beach on Nevis got severe hurricane damage a few months before our cruise. I don't know if they are going back there yet or not.

Also - I've found the snorkeling pretty good on this trip. At first glance it doesn't look quite as nice as some spots we've seen as there are more boulders than coral heads, but there is coral if you swim around and we've seen lots of pretty fish and some unusual things between the rocks like eels (don't worry they aren't too close), lobsters, and even an octopus. The water is a little deeper where we saw those so you aren't too close for comfort! Yoy just need to swim around a little, swim up the by the shore a little and keep your eyes open. Of course conditions vary and on one trip the snorkeling was very poor - they'll also go to an alternate site if the conditions are very bad at the usual one.

Larry, how would you compare the beach in Nevis to the beach in St. Kitts? I believe you went to Cockleshell beach in St. Kitts. We went there for the day last year while in St. Kitts. Did you think Nevis was nicer or about the same?

Oh and your pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you have for snorkeling? Is it an underwater camera? Or do you have a bag or something you put your regular camera in?

thank you again. You have been very helpful!

I just popped on the boards to ask about this excursion! Great timing!

Just wondering if when you get to the beach, if they let you off onshore, or if you have to jump in the water and then swim to the shore...how does that work with towels and stuff? TIA! I'm really leaning towards this excursion for our April cruise on Solstice. It will be my mom and I.

Larry, how would you compare the beach in Nevis to the beach in St. Kitts? I believe you went to Cockleshell beach in St. Kitts. We went there for the day last year while in St. Kitts. Did you think Nevis was nicer or about the same?

Oh and your pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you have for snorkeling? Is it an underwater camera? Or do you have a bag or something you put your regular camera in?

thank you again. You have been very helpful!

The beach in Nevis is very uncrowded and has no facilities or chairs other than the picnic pavilion, just off the beach, used for lunch. From that perspective it is (or was) a bit nicer. I also liked having the lunch on the beach more than on the catamaran - although either is OK. There was a bar a bit down the beach on Nevis at the four seasons resort that one could walk to - although beer, rum punch, sodas, etc. are included in your excursion and provided by the catamaran staff at either location. If I had my choice I'd much rather go to Nevis - but would do the excursion either way.

I've used different point & shoot digital cameras but always with the manufacturer's underwater marine case. I've found these work much more reliably that either the less expensive bags or the newer supposedly waterproof cameras. Older pictures (prior to 2008) were with an older Minolta dimage xi, and my newer camera is a Canon SD870. I have some info on the link on underwater pictures below my signature.

...Just wondering if when you get to the beach, if they let you off onshore, or if you have to jump in the water and then swim to the shore...how does that work with towels and stuff? TIA! I'm really leaning towards this excursion for our April cruise on Solstice. It will be my mom and I.

They lower a ladder/stairway from the cat and pull up close to the shore - you wade in from a few feet out.

Which reminds me of an important point!! - They take your shoes when you first board as it is barefoot only on the catamaran. But do take some beach shoes or flip flops with you and carry these ashore with you along with your beach towel. You'll be much happier if the sand is real hot and it usually is.

Archived