New Captain coming to Seabourn

Martita B.

We have a new Master! Capt. Ian McNaught, former Cunard QE2 Captain, has joined Seabourn. He has been a very popular officer aboard Cunard ships since 1999 ~~in 2001 he Mastered The Sea Goddess I (some of you may have sailed with him) He will join the Seabourn Spirit in a couple of weeks. I'm sure he'll move "up" to one of the larger Sister's after an orientation on the Spirit.

As we all enjoyed new Master, Captain Emil Holthe, aboard the Spirit, it will be a pleasure to meet Captain McNaught in March on the TA Crossing.

We welcome Captain McNaught to our family!:p

Martita B.

John

I do feel their pain ~~Capt. McNaught has been one of the most popular Master's Cunard has ever employed......this is a huge loss for many Cunard sailor's.

I was saddened when Capt. Leif Rodahl retired and also when Hotel MG Guy Sharp left.

The older I become the less I like change!:eek:

MB

John

I do feel their pain ~~Capt. McNaught has been one of the most popular Master's Cunard has ever employed......this is a huge loss for many Cunard sailor's.

I was saddened when Capt. Leif Rodahl retired and also when Hotel MG Guy Sharp left.

The older I become the less I like change!:eek:

MB

I'd heard that the older you got,the more of a rascal you became.;)

We have a new Master! Capt. Ian McNaught, former Cunard QE2 Captain, has joined Seabourn. He has been a very popular officer aboard Cunard ships since 1999 We welcome Captain McNaught to our family!:p

Martita B.

Yes welcome. Let us hope that he does not bring his soubriquet with him.

Please enlighten us ~~what is Captain McNaught's nickname ?

Martita B.

It has featured on Cunard threads which allege ( no doubt unjustifiably) that he is port averse hence - " no port McNaught" or " miss a port McNaught". In my experience he is a very experienced and personable gentleman and should be an asset to the Seabourn line.

Cunard loss - Seaborn gain. He was the Master of the QE2 for the first part of her final World Cruise. A very nice person and good Captain. Our two missed ports were not his doing .... one was the Falklands where a special celebration of the QE2's role in the Falkland's war was to be carried out.... he certainly would have gotten in if he could have been sure of getting his passengers out.- the forecast was not good at all. The other was really rough weather at Punta Arenas.... both ports are dicey calls at best. Seaborn passengers and crew should be very happy with him.

Susan

Cunard passengers, crew & fellow officers' loss, Seabourn's gain on all counts when Capt McNaught joined the fleet. The bean counters in Southampton must be jealous of his popularity and very short sighted. We cancelled - on principal - our reservation for new QE maiden voyage when they didn't appoint him master of the new vessel. My first voyage on QE2 was with Capt McNaught in 2003, he had just been appt'd Master. My last voyage was with him to Dubai on the Final Voyage in 2008. In those 5 years we sailed over 500 days with him. In nasty seas and dodgy waters we always felt safe with him in command. He is great at communicating, always welcoming, very sincere and a top sailor. His wife is fun, pretty and full of life. Cunard really missed the boat when they let him get away. Their son is working his way up the ranks at sea - the McNaught's are a public relations dept Dream Team. Cunarders well remember the father and son Warwick capt/commodore and we had hoped we would experience another legend with the McNaught's. When you sail with Capt McNaught, please tell him his Cunard Fan Club wishes him well. I'm sure you great folks on Seabourn will welcome and appreciate him!

• 2 weeks later...
Cunard passengers, crew & fellow officers' loss, Seabourn's gain on all counts when Capt McNaught joined the fleet. The bean counters in Southampton must be jealous of his popularity and very short sighted. We cancelled - on principal - our reservation for new QE maiden voyage when they didn't appoint him master of the new vessel. My first voyage on QE2 was with Capt McNaught in 2003, he had just been appt'd Master. My last voyage was with him to Dubai on the Final Voyage in 2008. In those 5 years we sailed over 500 days with him. In nasty seas and dodgy waters we always felt safe with him in command. He is great at communicating, always welcoming, very sincere and a top sailor. His wife is fun, pretty and full of life. Cunard really missed the boat when they let him get away. Their son is working his way up the ranks at sea - the McNaught's are a public relations dept Dream Team. Cunarders well remember the father and son Warwick capt/commodore and we had hoped we would experience another legend with the McNaught's. When you sail with Capt McNaught, please tell him his Cunard Fan Club wishes him well. I'm sure you great folks on Seabourn will welcome and appreciate him!

I, too, first met Captain McNaught in 2003 aboard QE2 on a trans-atlantic crossing, and had the pleasure of crossing with him on six occasions. He was passionate about QE2, "the Pride of the Clyde" and appreciated her unique place in history as the last great trans-atlantic express liner. Possessed of a wonderful sense of humour, he was unfailingly kind toward his passengers and generous with his time. His table was the best place to be on the ship, and more than a few passengers, myself included, passed on upgrades to the Grill dining rooms in order to dine in the Caronia Restaurant with Captain McNaught.

He is also a fine sailor, and handled QE2 expertly in all conditions, including some memorable storms during winter crossings. He did not run from heavy weather, confident in the superb sea-handling characteristics of his ship and the skill of his officers and crew.

Captain McNaught was without a doubt the most popular Captain Cunard had in recent years. I had hoped he would remain with Cunard as Captain of Queen Mary 2. His presence there would have gone a long way toward making me book a crossing on Cunard's unlovely giant. I sometimes think Captain McNaught's unrivaled popularity with the passengers may have been a source of jealousy within the Carnival/Princess/Cunard empire, which is a pity, for he was the best ambassador Cunard could have wished for.

Those of you sailing with Seabourn may consider yourselves fortunate to have the opportunity to sail with this man. I wish him well. The North Atlantic will not be the same without him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived