First Time Cruisers

ksmommyof4

We havent booked yet but in Feburary we will be booking the 7 day Western Carribean on board the Carnival Liberty....I have a few questions..

1.What all involves formal night? Can you skip it? If you skip it where do you eat that night? We are just not formal people at all.

2.The ports are Cozumel,Mexico Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios Jamaica.Does anyone have any tips,ideas,fun things to do.

3.What all comes with the price you pay?? I thought you get free drinks except alcohol but then on a few posts on here I see people buying soda cards so I am a little confused with all that...

4.On the Carnival Liberty we are going to be in a class 8C room with balconey.Which Deck do you prefer Empress or Verandah and WHY????

Thanks so much for any comments back and anything else you add...

I will be posting this in the Carnival Liberty boards too...

We havent booked yet but in Feburary we will be booking the 7 day Western Carribean on board the Carnival Liberty....I have a few questions..

1.What all involves formal night? Can you skip it? If you skip it where do you eat that night? We are just not formal people at all.

Many people like formal night, and probably an equal # do not. In my experience (and I'm not going to tell you if I personally like formal night....that starts a whole to-do) if you are dressed appropriately, no sloppy clothes, no bathingsuits (which are never acceptable in the dining room without a cover), or shorts, you will NOT be asked to leave the main diningroom. Some will tell you that they have witnessed passengers being asked to leave due to informal attire on formal night. I have cruised for many, many years and have NEVER ONCE witnessed this

2.The ports are Cozumel,Mexico Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios Jamaica.Does anyone have any tips,ideas,fun things to do.

Depends on what you call "fun". Once inn Cozumel, we spent the afternoon at Carolos & Charlies and had a ball, one time in Grand Cayman the men went snorkeling and the women went to the beach and rented jet skis, and once in Ocho Rios I simply went shopping. Other times we have done other excursions in these same ports. Some were better than others...but it all depends on what type of activity you are looking for. You need to be more explicit as to what your're looking for.

3.What all comes with the price you pay?? I thought you get free drinks except alcohol but then on a few posts on here I see people buying soda cards so I am a little confused with all that...

You get a room (with or without a view), you get to go to all of the entertainment on the ship, you get to go to all non-speciality restaurants (many ships have up-charge speciality restaurants. RCCL is now even charging a service fee for Johnny Rockets). As far as drinks are concerned, you get water (although my DS told me that RCCL will no longer put a pitcher of water with lemon in your fridge each morning.. they are now have a bottled water card), basic coffee (speciality coffee is additional), lemonade and tea. ALL other drinks, including soda is additional. You can get a soda card for the week, but that is fountain soda. Cans are also an additional fee.

4.On the Carnival Liberty we are going to be in a class 8C room with balconey.Which Deck do you prefer Empress or Verandah and WHY????

We don't cruise on Carnival, but you might want to put this question on the room selection thread.

Thanks so much for any comments back and anything else you add...

I will be posting this in the Carnival Liberty boards too...

You have asked so many wonderful questions, many of which have been answered again, and again. Have you started by reading the boards? I will post my answers for some of the questions (those that I can answer correctly), and others will also reply. That said, I suggest you READ, READ, READ the boards.

Formal night involves dressing up a bit & having dinner. That's all. You can go to extremes but espcially on Carnival you don't have to. Pack for it, then on board you can make a choice to go or not but if you have nothing appropriate then you can't go even if you want to.

The ports of call boards have wonderful ideas for what to do so do the excursion offerings from Carnival. Pick something that looks fun to you.

Some of the things you pay for: specialty restaurants, alcohol, gambling, bingo, photos, excursions, tips, sodas (but you can bring your own), bottled water (but the stuff out of the tap os actually better) & souveniers.

Room / cabin choice is just that . . . it doesn't matter as long as you are happy. Some people have to have the nicest cabin on the ship. Others would rather get an inside cabin & cruise more often. There are of course middle grounds.

Archived