Won a free cruise - what would you do?

Kambird

@ worldcitizen - haha! No, I think I can handle the stress! :D

I appreciate all of your thoughts. You had some great insight, especially being careful with the small print and taxable income.

Yes, I definitely DO want to use this. Who wouldn't? Not anyone I know....

I guess my concern is that we were not prepared to spend money on another big vacation so soon. The person that "won" the cruise was actually my 10 year old, so he gets to go. I will be the lucky parent that joins him. We cannot afford to take my entire family (there are four kids, my husband and me) but I may take along my 13 year old so that they can buddy up.

I have never had an MM room and wasn't sure how they are. I would guess it would be fine since, like someone said, a day on the cruise ship is better than one at home. And I am absolutely game to go anywhere. I LOVE to travel as does my son.

The amount that would be applied to another cruise is around $1,200. How much more expensive are other cruises at an MM rate?

Air travel to Florida from my home state of Texas is high during the time of year that Caribbean cruises take place (around $1,100 for two, RT) so I am a little leery about using that cruise. We could consider Bermuda in the summer via NYC, which has much cheaper airfare. Any thoughts on Bermuda?

I would like to keep costs down to a reasonable amount while still enjoying myself. I don't mind doing all the research now to get what we want later. Again, thank you all for your input. It is great to have your help.

@ worldcitizen - haha! No, I think I can handle the stress! :D

I appreciate all of your thoughts. You had some great insight, especially being careful with the small print and taxable income.

Yes, I definitely DO want to use this. Who wouldn't? Not anyone I know....

I guess my concern is that we were not prepared to spend money on another big vacation so soon. The person that "won" the cruise was actually my 10 year old, so he gets to go. I will be the lucky parent that joins him. We cannot afford to take my entire family (there are four kids, my husband and me) but I may take along my 13 year old so that they can buddy up.

I have never had an MM room and wasn't sure how they are. I would guess it would be fine since, like someone said, a day on the cruise ship is better than one at home. And I am absolutely game to go anywhere. I LOVE to travel as does my son.

The amount that would be applied to another cruise is around $1,200. How much more expensive are other cruises at an MM rate?

Air travel to Florida from my home state of Texas is high during the time of year that Caribbean cruises take place (around $1,100 for two, RT) so I am a little leery about using that cruise. We could consider Bermuda in the summer via NYC, which has much cheaper airfare. Any thoughts on Bermuda?

I would like to keep costs down to a reasonable amount while still enjoying myself. I don't mind doing all the research now to get what we want later. Again, thank you all for your input. It is great to have your help.

Wow Kambird,

Congrats to you and your 10 year old! Sounds like a great experience for the 2 of you. After reading your above post my advice would be to take the MM cabin and not stress about spending the extra $ right now. Especially if you can get a Bermuda sailing for that amount / cabin category. I have only cruised to Bermuda once so my knowledge is limited but you will most likely stay in port for several days and use the ship as you would a land based hotel. Others on this board who are more experienced will be able to confirm or rebut.

Whatever you decide best wishes for a great cruise!

Archived