Florence to Civitavecchia Drive Worthwhile?

Since my wife and I will be staying five nights pre cruise in Rome, we will not need to journey back to there at a later date when our ship docks in Civitavecchia. The day before Civitavecchia we will be on a private tour of Florence. My question to anyone knowledgeable of this part of Italy is, would it be worth staying a night in Florence and having our driver take us on a road tour the next day (he stated approx. 3 hours drive) down to meet our ship in Civitavecchia by 6:30 PM the next day? Our driver said we would have time to visit a castle along the way and also stop at a typical farm for wine tasting. Is this a very scenic drive and would this southern route be considered the Tuscan countryside?

Another option would be to re-board the ship after Florence and take a country side tour out of Civitavecchia the next day. This would save money on a nights stay in Florence, but I wonder if it would it be as scenic and worthwhile a drive around that area?

I appreciate any suggestions you are able to advise us on.

It depends on what you are most interested -- spending more time in Florence, or getting out to see the countryside?

Florence is such an amazing city, and can only be barely tasted when you have only one day, and your ship is docked in Livorno, which is at least an hour away. If you can spend a night there, that will give you more time to visit the sights, as well as an opportunity to have a magical night there (if you stay, do check out the restaurant Il Cibreo -- it's exquisite!). The next morning you can see more of the city (that would be a good time to visit L'Accedemia to see the David, as it's less crowded first thing in the morning). The drive through Tuscany sounds fantastic, and YES the southern route will take you through some of the most beautiful areas of Tuscany. You can visit Siena (one of my favorite Italian cities), Montepulciano (interesting hill town), Montalcino (walled town famous for producing the best wine on the planet, Brunello di Montalcino). The visit to the farm will be fascinating, I assure you.

However, if you'd rather avoid the cost of the overnight, or would prefer to not spend as much time in the city, a day tour from Civitavecchia can bring you to some lovely and interesting areas as well. I think most ships offer predominantly Roman tours when docking in Civitavecchia, as that's what the vast majority of cruisers are going to be interested in. But outside of the cities, and within driving distance of Civitavecchia, there are some interesting spots, especially within the region of Tuscia (just inland from Civitavecchia). The region has a heavily Etruscan history and influence, and has some lovely destinations, including Orvieto, Viterbo, Bolsena, and Proceno (we'll be staying at a castle in the tiny, Medieval hill-town of Proceno for three days post-cruise in May). Do a little research on these towns and see what you think.

Either way, you'll have a wonderful experience with a private guide. Who are you using, may I ask?

I hope this helps!

LeeAnne

I agree with Leeanne that in Florence there is too much to see in a short day. If you don't mind spending money on a hotel room for one night, I would definitely stay the night and as Leeanne says go and see David and perhaps climb the Duomo first thing in the morning before the tourists all arrive. We did this and the view from the top is fantastic, looking all over Florence out to the hills of Tuscany.

We have driven to Rome from Florence and if you left early enough you would have time to visit Orvieto, a beautiful hillside village on the way to Rome. We spent a couple of hours there a few years ago. Great pottery etc. Just make sure the guide gets you to the Rome in plenty of time, as the traffic around Rome is horrendous and it would be ghastly to miss the ship.

Jennie

Thank you both for the great suggestions, after reading them I am now sure that I would like to stay overnight in Florence and explore more of the area. Do either of you know of a nice moderate price hotel that would be within close walking distance to the L'Accedemia and Duomo which we could visit before checking out the next morning? Would you happen to also know the opening times for these on a Sunday? I will also check out on the internet some of the towns that you mentioned along the way, as they sound very intriguing.

Another thing I was wondering about is if the cruise ship would have to be notified in advance of passengers staying over night in a port and not returning that evening. I assume that they would want to know, but I wonder if that is something that I would wait to do when sailing, or if they need to know this months in advance?

I have Alessandro Cammilli booked for our driver in that area. He seems very knowledgable and his rates are also reasonably priced.

We stayed at the Hotel Paris, which we LOVED! It's a 15th century palace renovated in 1998, with frescoed ceilings, antique-filled rooms, and a hanging garden on the second floor. It was very affordable -- it's a 3-star, but with much more atmosphere than most 3-stars you will find. It's very close to the Duomo, a little further from the L'Accademia. Here's a link to tell you more about it:

http://www.florenceby.com/paris/pages/profile.htm

This would be good if you like that antique thing...there are more contemporary hotels, but we loved the classic Italianate ambiance.

Regarding what arrangements have to be made for staying off the ship, that's a good question, one that I can't answer. Anyone?

LeeAnne

Regarding staying off the ship I would definitely ring the cruiseline directly and took to someone in customer services. The ship would have to be notified in advance and also I would reconfirm this when first on board otherwise they would be looking for 2 passengers who hadn't returned back to the ship. I am sure if they know it will be fine, as you will be in the same country, only a different port.

You will need to carry your passports as all hotels in Italy need to see your passport on check in, it is the only way the Italians know who is in their country at any one time as there is no passport checkin at the airport.

Another good hotel which trip advisor has number 1 in Florence is Residenza Il Villino. It is a 3 star and I think the rate is from 85-150Euros.

The website is:http://www.ilvillino.it/ingweb.html

Goodluck.

Jennie

Can you post the drivers email address or web page?

We are also planning to do a precruise in Rome. Our cruise leaves from Venice and I am researching drivers from Rome to Florence to Venice.

Thanks

Ellen

Can you post the drivers email address or web page?

We are also planning to do a precruise in Rome. Our cruise leaves from Venice and I am researching drivers from Rome to Florence to Venice.

Thanks

Ellen

Be glad to. He only has an email address: Alessandro Cammilli alecamma@hotmail.com

Archived