The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Hi Shirley..great job on this thread!!!

I'm not sure if you have contacts at the businesses you feature but I've been reading some scathing reviews of the Radisson lately. Old..dingy rooms..etc. alot of pax are saying that the photos on their site in no way represent what the true property looks like.:eek:

I understand that people can be subjective about things but wanted you to be aware.

Keep up the great work!!

Good morning,

Thank you for the input - I do make it a point to follow up on issues and in fact this is why I post email addresses for the different hotels - I try to send issues good and bad to each of the GM's so they can be aware of problems or compliments so they address them - I do know that anyone that writes Joe P with the Radisson does answer all his emails. I also do check with the BBB and COC and also the health departments and so far, the reports have been all up to standard. I do not recommend any one particular place, I just give options to be checked out and the decision is left to those that are coming here.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Good luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely

Shirley

Shirley

I noticed lauras shuttle was not listed on your shuttle services. Do you know anything about this company,or anyone that has used them. We are planning on using them in Sept but dont know much about them only what I read on there web site.

Thanks for any info you might have

Hello Cindy,

I have heard of Laura's Shuttles, but have never checked up on them - I will make it a point to learn more about the company and also know that if you do a search on them, I am sure those that have used them, will give you a great insight.

Sincerely

Shirley

Our Carnival Sensation itinerary says the ship arrives at Port Canaveral at 7 am. Our flight from MCO is at 12:25 pm. It's cheaper to do a one-way car rental to get ourselves to MCO, than to take a shuttle. BUT will the extra time it takes to pick up and drop off the rental car give us enough time to make our flight? There are four of us (2 moms, 2 teens) and we are all first time cruisers.

Our Carnival Sensation itinerary says the ship arrives at Port Canaveral at 7 am. Our flight from MCO is at 12:25 pm. It's cheaper to do a one-way car rental to get ourselves to MCO, than to take a shuttle. BUT will the extra time it takes to pick up and drop off the rental car give us enough time to make our flight? There are four of us (2 moms, 2 teens) and we are all first time cruisers.

I'm not sure why... but in my research, it seems like the shuttle is one of the most expensive means of transportation from Port Canaveral to MCO. Have you looked into a car service?

I had originally booked a car service (VIP Limo - mentioned in an earlier post by Shirley on this thread) for both ways to our hotel pre-cruise and from cruise port to airport post-cruise. There are 4 of us going -- and it's $150 total both ways -- beats the $35/per person/each way for the Carnival shuttle!

We ran into a snag over the weekend -- airline changed our flights -- we are now flying in 2 days prior to cruise.... and now have to decide if we still want to use the car service or rent a car for pre-cruise to get around in since we will be there a whole day earlier. BTW, I did check with the car service -- and it's only $79 one-way (for all 4 of us) if we choose to use his service for just our return transportation.

I've also read other good review for this company.

Good morning,

Thank you for the input - I do make it a point to follow up on issues and in fact this is why I post email addresses for the different hotels - I try to send issues good and bad to each of the GM's so they can be aware of problems or compliments so they address them - I do know that anyone that writes Joe P with the Radisson does answer all his emails. I also do check with the BBB and COC and also the health departments and so far, the reports have been all up to standard. I do not recommend any one particular place, I just give options to be checked out and the decision is left to those that are coming here.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Good luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely

Shirley

Hi Shirley: I'm not sure where you are doing your research, but the car service you quoted at $150 to Cocoa Beach and back is the same as the Cocoa Beach Shuttle that I found, for four people.....they asked for $75 one way, and $150 return. It might be a little cheaper for a rental car, but with 2 kids and 4 bags and carry ons, I'd rather sit in a roomy shuttle and not have to worry about driving, traffic, parking, pick up and dropping off the rental car, etc. I'm booking the shuttle, thanks.

Hi Shirley: I'm not sure where you are doing your research, but the car service you quoted at $150 to Cocoa Beach and back is the same as the Cocoa Beach Shuttle that I found, for four people.....they asked for $75 one way, and $150 return. It might be a little cheaper for a rental car, but with 2 kids and 4 bags and carry ons, I'd rather sit in a roomy shuttle and not have to worry about driving, traffic, parking, pick up and dropping off the rental car, etc. I'm booking the shuttle, thanks.

I would much rather use a car service (individual service for my group only) than a shuttle where I will have to wait until the van/bus is full and possibly stop at other places to load/unload passengers. If the car service is the same price -- I'd definitely go with the car service over the shuttle!! Still all without the hassles of renting a car... driving, traffic, parking, etc.

I didn't check with Cocoa Beach Shuttle specifically... but the shuttle company I did look into was more expensive than $150 round-trip for 4 people.... and the Carnival Shuttle service is just outrageous!

Shirley puts in a lot of her own time to help keep us informed of things in her area that are beneficial to us just visiting.... thanks for all you do!!

I would much rather use a car service (individual service for my group only) than a shuttle where I will have to wait until the van/bus is full and possibly stop at other places to load/unload passengers. If the car service is the same price -- I'd definitely go with the car service over the shuttle!! Still all without the hassles of renting a car... driving, traffic, parking, etc.

I didn't check with Cocoa Beach Shuttle specifically... but the shuttle company I did look into was more expensive than $150 round-trip for 4 people.... and the Carnival Shuttle service is just outrageous!

Shirley puts in a lot of her own time to help keep us informed of things in her area that are beneficial to us just visiting.... thanks for all you do!!

Hi Angie

You are definitely right about the shuttle stopping and dropping off at various locations. The Carnival shuttle is certainly outrageous......how they can charge so much when other shuttles are so much less, I just don't understand. I certainly do appreciate all of Shirley's research and of course sharing her findings with us.

What is the name of the car service is it that Shirley is mentioning? It would certainly behoove me to look into it. Would that be a driver, two adults and two children in the car? I am concerned that 5 people in the car (my daughter is 14 and essentially the size of an adult) and the luggage would just be very crowded and that we could get more legroom on a shuttle.

Your advice is very much appreciated. We're all on these boards to share and help eachother!!

Kathy

I think Shirley mentions a couple different car services in the earlier post in this thread... look back a page or 2, she did an update just last week to her information post.

I am booked with VIP Limo... the $150 is for 4 adults in a towncar... he also quoted $240 for up to 10 people in a stretch limo... but since there are only 4 of us... we opted for the towncar. But, yes, that includes the driver. It just seems like much less hassle than a car rental or shuttle service.

Hello Kathy and Angie,

I know you are very concern with coming into a strange town and do not know who to turn to, where to go, who to call on and on and on. I visit all the places I suggest and noone ever knows I am coming or who I am until I finish what I set out to do - I call the COC and the BBB - I check these boards and of course there are good and there are bad

in anything - I try to give options which may or may not work for you - you can google and also find choices - I have a chamber of commerce website on post #295 which will help - also a number of the places I mention, do offer discounts if you tell them you are off the board or they are SUPPOSE TO. I have no agenda in mind when I was putting this together - I am in business so most of the time, I do have an insight to a number of places etc and AGAIN NO AGENDA or strings attached.

I know what it is to be in a strange town and be lost as lost can be - I am here to help any way I can and also remember Cruise Critics is very kind to allow this thread to be here to help each of you in any way it can so the thanks and appreciation goes to them.

Everyone have a great week ----

always

Shirley

Shirley, thanks for your insight on this thread!! It has been an invaluable help to me, as I am sure is the case with many many more people.

I read this thread (and the previous "I work in PC") extensively before going on our cruise out of Port Canaveral in April. And I must say that I love the Port Canaveral area!! And I really feel like I "know" this area so much better due to the knowledge and insight gained from this forum.... despite the fact that I was only there for 2 days pre-cruise. I am so excited to return!

As luck would have it.... our 1 day pre-cruise just turned into 2 days (due to the airline canceling our flight and rescheduling)... so, now after the initial stress involved in making the changes... I am really excited for the extra day to be able to spend in Cocoa Beach!!!:D

I'm still not sure whether we will keep the car service for the trip from MCO to Port Canaveral or rent a car for that portion. I know from our last trip that there is much to do within walking distance of our hotel... but not sure if would rather have a car to get around.... I think I will do a little more research and try to decide within the next couple weeks.

As luck would have it.... our 1 day pre-cruise just turned into 2 days (due to the airline canceling our flight and rescheduling)... so, now after the initial stress involved in making the changes... I am really excited for the extra day to be able to spend in Cocoa Beach!!!:D

I'm still not sure whether we will keep the car service for the trip from MCO to Port Canaveral or rent a car for that portion. I know from our last trip that there is much to do within walking distance of our hotel... but not sure if would rather have a car to get around.... I think I will do a little more research and try to decide within the next couple weeks.

Hello Angie,

The hotels such as Best Western, Days Inn (these 2 are sisters), La Quinta are thisclose to the beach, some restaurants such as Durango's, Beef o' Brady, Boston Seafood and then you have the small shopping mall across the street which has a grocery store - the best part of these hotels they are close to the pier and believe me once upon a time, I lived at the pier just enjoying all the things going on - further down about a mile or less, you have Fawlty Towers, Inn of Cocoa Beach, 4 Points, Comfort Inn that has just about everything around it (except the kitchen sink and movie theatre) such as shopping, dinosaur shop, again thisclose to the beach, restaurants such as Florida Seafood, Brando, Old Fish House,

IHOP, Italian Gardens, Sushi House. These are all walking distance. Guess what I am trying to say is that you really don't need transportation to go to these places - now if you want to go across the river then you better be an excellent walker AND can take this heat to walk over to Merritt Island where they have it all. Great restaurants, movies, malls etc.

You have to just thinking about it and I know you will make the right decision as to what is best for you.

Good luck and keep us posted with your choices ok>

Hi!

I posted this question on a new thread, but this thread seems to be where people who know stuff are.

We're going to be taking a cruise in August, and there are 6 of us. We live in Florida, so we have cars to drive to the port area. Unfortunately, none of us has a minivan, and renting one both ways would be more expensive than parking there.

I was considering getting a hotel room the previous night in order to take advantage of some of the park and cruise offers out there. Does anyone know - if I only take one hotel room, can I park multiple cars at these places that offer free parking?

Thanks!

Hi!

I posted this question on a new thread, but this thread seems to be where people who know stuff are.

We're going to be taking a cruise in August, and there are 6 of us. We live in Florida, so we have cars to drive to the port area. Unfortunately, none of us has a minivan, and renting one both ways would be more expensive than parking there.

I was considering getting a hotel room the previous night in order to take advantage of some of the park and cruise offers out there. Does anyone know - if I only take one hotel room, can I park multiple cars at these places that offer free parking?

Thanks!

We had just about the opposite situation in April and stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Cape Canaveral. We drove down (2 families) in our suv. We did 2 rooms... so I can't answer your questions about the extra vehicle. But they did charge the other family (mom & 2 kids) $5 per person for the shuttle ride. And since we booked on Priceline, instead of the "Park & Cruise" package, we had to pay an upfee of $20 to use the park & shuttle service. Maybe call & ask the Radisson and Residence Inn.

Hi!

Thanks!

Post #295 has email addresses that you can write the hotel GM's and ask your question - all are very good about getting back to you with an answer - I am almost sure, there will be a charge, but they can give you a better answer

Good luck

To anyone who has been, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks.

We've only been to Fishlips... so I cannot compare it to the others... but I can say that we LOVED Fishlips! It's a cool atmosphere and we got there at the right time on the Sunday before our Monday cruise to watch 2 ships leaving port... it was so cool. Oh, and the food was good and the service was terrific!!

Would definitely recommend!!

Where would you recommend being the safest place to leave my SUV during the duration of the cruise? I am worried about security and finding a safe location would be ideal.

Appreciate Your Help,

Alecia

Hello Alecia,

You have only 2 choices - if you stay at one of the hotels, you are offered park and cruise

or leave at the port at $15.00 a day. There has been very little damages to cars parked at the hotels - security is pretty good from what I understand, but what you can do it email any of the hotels you are thinking of staying and they will explain their parking and security.

You will find most of the email addresses on post #295.

Good luck

I was a bit concerned with some of the reviews on CC about this property..as I have booked a room for pre cruise.

So..I emailed Joe P...he called me to discuss my issues.:eek::D

He assured me that the property is undergoing some serious renovations..and that 1/3 of the hotel is still waiting for its "facelift". He anticipates those rooms being completed by the end of the last quarter of this year. The other 2/3 of the rooms and the guest common areas and pool area are completed.

After speaking with Joe I feel I made a good decision by booking a room at the Radisson. I've stayed at other properties but wanted a change of scenery and booked there. After speaking with Joe I feel more than comfortable with my decision. While 1/3 of the rooms are still undergoing the change..he assured me that every room is kept clean and ready for guests..and while some may be a bit "outdated" guests should feel comfortable knowing that those rooms, like all others, are kept neat and clean and "guest ready".

I'm also going to say that Joe P could give lessons to other businesses about customer service.:) Radisson is lucky to have him!!! I can't wait for my stay..I hope I get to meet Joe and thank him for addressing my concerns personally.

I was a bit concerned with some of the reviews on CC about this property..as I have booked a room for pre cruise.

He assured me that the property is undergoing some serious renovations..and that 1/3 of the hotel is still waiting for its "facelift". He anticipates those rooms being completed by the end of the last quarter of this year. The other 2/3 of the rooms and the guest common areas and pool area are completed.

After speaking with Joe I feel I made a good decision by booking a room at the Radisson. I've stayed at other properties but wanted a change of scenery and booked there. After speaking with Joe I feel more than comfortable with my decision. While 1/3 of the rooms are still undergoing the change..he assured me that every room is kept clean and ready for guests..and while some may be a bit "outdated" guests should feel comfortable knowing that those rooms, like all others, are kept neat and clean and "guest ready".

I'm also going to say that Joe P could give lessons to other businesses about customer service.:) Radisson is lucky to have him!!! I can't wait for my stay..I hope I get to meet Joe and thank him for addressing my concerns personally.

I am so glad that you wrote Joe P. - I am not kidding and I do NOT promote anyone in particular, but he, among others, will address any concerns you could have. He is the one, along with the others, who's email address I posted on the information board, who always give me permission to put his personal email address for those with concerns, questions etc.

He is a busy person, but I love the personal touch. With all of us here, we hope you each feel you are in a safe zone and can reach out for help.

Hi Shirley,

I have a question for you...we've booked the Radisson for our pre cruise stay and I would also like to e-mail Joe P, the manager. However, I cannot find his e-mail on your lists. I looked but didn't see it.....now I think my eyes are pretty good, but obviously I missed the post....must be old age, lol

Thanks for your help.

Amy

This is good info to know. I have been trying to decide which hotel to use for my wedding guests next March. It sounds like they will have finished all the renovating by then.