Rental Car

hoz321

Just back from Aruba and had hoped to find rental car agents at the dock, but there were none there. We ended up taking a local tour that was just so-so. I asked around and was told they weren't there on Mondays.....I said: "Well, today is Tuesday".....Two years ago I phoned ahead, and the agent showed up an hour late and we rented from another agent at the dock. So, call ahead...

When we were there in November, we rented a jeep from Thrifty at the Renaissance center. I definitely would NOT recommend them,even though they were within walking distance to pick-up the vehicle. We had already had a reservation, but were told that they only had 1 jeep in the lot. It took forever to do the paperwork, then when we walked to the lot to get the jeep, we soon discovered our surprise! The white jeep had 4 different types of tires on it, 3 were bald, the check engine light was on and remained on, and there was loud noise coming from underneath the vehicle! We drove about a mile down the road and returned, only to be told that there were NO other jeeps or other vehicles available! We were told not to worry, just call them if something happens! (we had no phone!) We ended up taking the jeep with hesitation, and fortunately, we made it back!! We went from one end of the island to the other and really had a great day there! I think that the vehicle was the worst thing I had ever been in!! Not a good experience, but loved Aruba and want to go back!!!

When we were there in November, we rented a jeep from Thrifty at the Renaissance center. I definitely would NOT recommend them,even though they were within walking distance to pick-up the vehicle. We had already had a reservation, but were told that they only had 1 jeep in the lot. It took forever to do the paperwork, then when we walked to the lot to get the jeep, we soon discovered our surprise! The white jeep had 4 different types of tires on it, 3 were bald, the check engine light was on and remained on, and there was loud noise coming from underneath the vehicle! We drove about a mile down the road and returned, only to be told that there were NO other jeeps or other vehicles available! We were told not to worry, just call them if something happens! (we had no phone!) We ended up taking the jeep with hesitation, and fortunately, we made it back!! We went from one end of the island to the other and really had a great day there! I think that the vehicle was the worst thing I had ever been in!! Not a good experience, but loved Aruba and want to go back!!!

Sunshine.. did they provide the driving map. Did you have any trouble getting from one end to the other and did you do any offroad adventures. Any help would be appreciated.. we have a rental with Hertz for April. thanks

They did provide a map, which was really great! It was very easy to get around. We went to the hotel district(Eagle beach, Palm beach area) to see what that was like, then went to the california lighthouse, then went off road for quite a while--had a blast!! Very unique country--loved the cactus and palm trees! Went to the aloe vera factory and did the tour, then went to the other end of the island to Baby Beach. Stayed there awhile and swam(quiet and beautiful) Took the rental car back (early) because we wanted to roam around near the ship area, then had a great dinner at Iguana Joe's which is also close to where the ship docks. Loved Aruba, we never got lost, very easy to get around. A lot of traffic in Oranjestad, but no real issues! any questions, just ask! I also have pictures, if you would like to see anything--I am a picture taker!! LOL!

A taxi is going to cost you $6 each way to the airport. There is no advantage from renting a vehicle at the airport.

Keep in mind that the widely know US car rental brands are all franchises on the island. Thus, no advantage renting from them vs. a local company.

Imo, I would try to find a car rental agency which would deliver your vehicle to you at the cruise terminal.

• 3 months later...

We were in Aruba about 2 weeks ago on a Southern Caribbean Cruise. Our port time was 8m-6pm and we rented a Jeep Wrangler 4-door from Top Drive. I was a little worry about the rental due to lack of recent reviews about this company, but we decided to stick with this rental due to their convenient location right at the port.

I am happy to say that we had good experience with the rental. The Jeep Wrangler was like new and the they were very efficient (very emuch so compared to our car rental experience at Curacao and St Thomas). Most importantly, it is conveniently located right at the port! With limited port time, every minute counts :)

• 2 months later...
we were in aruba about 2 weeks ago on a southern caribbean cruise. Our port time was 8m-6pm and we rented a jeep wrangler 4-door from top drive. I was a little worry about the rental due to lack of recent reviews about this company, but we decided to stick with this rental due to their convenient location right at the port.

I am happy to say that we had good experience with the rental. The jeep wrangler was like new and the they were very efficient (very emuch so compared to our car rental experience at curacao and st thomas). Most importantly, it is conveniently located right at the port! With limited port time, every minute counts :)

hi did you have to give them a credit card number when you did your reservation we do not like to give this information for renting a car in advance and also how long in advance should we book a jeep for febuary 2011 thank for all your answers byby

Archived