Steam Room and Sauna

pingi3

Here is an email I got from RC today :)

Dear Adam:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Oasis of the seas does offer steam/sauna rooms in each, men and women's locker room.

Royal Caribbean International prides itself on making the journey as incredible as the destination. From our innovative Spa and sports deck to spectacular stage shows to popular programs for kids and teens, our unique array of exciting activities really has a way of bringing people together. To explore our numerous onboard activities and entertainment options, please visit our website (www.royalcaribbean.com), click on "Plan a Cruise"-"Ships"-"Oasis of the Seas" and then select "Onboard Experience."

Adam, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Damara Kelso

Customer Service Representative

So it seems like they do have it in the locker rooms as they should be

Of all the dozens of people looking for a included steam sauna no one has yet to be able to find it. So the letter confirms it, hopefully within the next year or so some will be able to find and use it.
So are you saying it is not in the locker room? I know someone posted it is in the spa but I want to know if I should write her back

thanks

So are you saying it is not in the locker room? I know someone posted it is in the spa but I want to know if I should write her back

thanks

The only steam/sauna anyone has reported finding was the thermal suite in which you have to pay $150 per week to use. Nothing in the locker room. Every other RCI ship has at least a sauna and usually a steam room so I think your letter is wrong

The only steam/sauna anyone has reported finding was the thermal suite in which you have to pay $150 per week to use. Nothing in the locker room. Every other RCI ship has at least a sauna and usually a steam room so I think your letter is wrong
I sent an email back to her asking her to verify what she told me. I had mentioned people who were on the cruise could not find them. Once I hear back from her I will post her response. My guess is you are all right and she is wrong

There is definately no sauna or steam in the locker rooms. There is only the co-ed thermal suite with two steam rooms (one aroma) and one sauna in the spa. There is a $30 per day or $150 per week charge to "use" the spa. I think if you have a treatment in the spa you can use the thermal suite for free.

Yeah there is NOT a steam room or sauna in the locker rooms!! I looked everywhere trust me. It's such a shame that they decided to leave these out on the Oasis.

I'm sure that customer service agent just said that because all the other ships have them so they probably just assumed Oasis does as well.

Oh also, the Spa staff is very clear up front when you go tour the spa and fitness center that there are no free steam rooms or saunas and then they gladly go into their selling points on the thermal suite. ;)

here is the new email i got today:

Dear Adam:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in the response.

Rest assured, we do offer steam/sauna rooms in the mens locker room.

Adam, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

• 1 month later...

Okay, I sent an email to RCI, and so I wouldn't get a pat answer, I noted that people who have been on the Oasis could not find a sauna/steam room, and that as the sauna/steam room is one of my favorite things about cruising, I would like them to investigate to make sure as I would hate to sail on the Oasis and find out I was not told the truth. Yadda yadda yadda. Here's the reply:

We apologize for the misinformation that was provided and shared via the internet. We understand the frustration and confusion the conflicting information has caused and for that we are deeply sorry, as this was not our goal or intent. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you concrete information in this correspondence.

Regrettably, the Oasis of the Seas and the Allure of the Seas do not have a complimentary sauna or steam room in the Spa or Fitness Center. The only option we have that would provide that experience are the Thermal Suites that you mentioned in your correspondence for $30.00 per day. We are pleased to advise that the Freedom Class ships such as the Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and the Independence of the Seas, are equipped with separate men and women complimentary sauna and steam room.

Again, we want to express our sincerest apologies for the misinformation that was provided, then shared with you and others via the internet. We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention and expressing your concerns and providing your feedback to us. Additionally, we appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Melissa Ponce

While I'm annoyed that RCI is nickel-and-diming yet again ($30 per day!), I do appreciate that I didn't get an uninvestigated response. And I was having problems deciding between Oasis or Allure, which have tons of things to do but woeful port choices, and the Freedom-class ships, which have less to do but much better ports. I'm not having that problem anymore! Hello, Freedom-class!

Okay, I sent an email to RCI, and so I wouldn't get a pat answer, I noted that people who have been on the Oasis could not find a sauna/steam room, and that as the sauna/steam room is one of my favorite things about cruising, I would like them to investigate to make sure as I would hate to sail on the Oasis and find out I was not told the truth. Yadda yadda yadda. Here's the reply:

We apologize for the misinformation that was provided and shared via the internet. We understand the frustration and confusion the conflicting information has caused and for that we are deeply sorry, as this was not our goal or intent. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you concrete information in this correspondence.

Regrettably, the Oasis of the Seas and the Allure of the Seas do not have a complimentary sauna or steam room in the Spa or Fitness Center. The only option we have that would provide that experience are the Thermal Suites that you mentioned in your correspondence for $30.00 per day. We are pleased to advise that the Freedom Class ships such as the Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and the Independence of the Seas, are equipped with separate men and women complimentary sauna and steam room.

Again, we want to express our sincerest apologies for the misinformation that was provided, then shared with you and others via the internet. We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention and expressing your concerns and providing your feedback to us. Additionally, we appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Melissa Ponce

While I'm annoyed that RCI is nickel-and-diming yet again ($30 per day!), I do appreciate that I didn't get an uninvestigated response. And I was having problems deciding between Oasis or Allure, which have tons of things to do but woeful port choices, and the Freedom-class ships, which have less to do but much better ports. I'm not having that problem anymore! Hello, Freedom-class!

I am going to bring the 2 emails I got back from RCCI saying that there is a sauna and steam room at no charge and make a stink about it once on there. I think it is BS that a ship that cost over 1 billion dollars and is 40 larger than any other ship on the water could not find the room to put these ammenities in the locker room

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it! Maybe they'll at least let you use the expensive stuff for free! The problem is money, as always for RCI. The former steam rooms and saunas weren't making any money for the ship. The new ones allegedly will. Unless everybody refuses to pay it. Then maybe they'll turn the space into what is offered on all their other ships. Hint hint!

I am going to bring the 2 emails I got back from RCCI saying that there is a sauna and steam room at no charge and make a stink about it once on there. I think it is BS that a ship that cost over 1 billion dollars and is 40 larger than any other ship on the water could not find the room to put these ammenities in the locker room

When I was on Oasis in January, I asked about the free sauna and steam room and was told that unlike all their other ships, they do not offer it on Oasis. They mentioned that with so many more passengers on Oasis, it was not practicable to offer it. The rooms would have to be much larger and the doors would be forever opening and closing and they would never get hot inside.

I was a bit disappointed but to be honest, there is just so much to do on Oasis that there is not much time to use a sauna.

I did suggest that they could consider offering a coupon for free use of the spa facilities for those in Suites or Diamond Plus members.

andrew

The first day I asked about the prices of the passes to the thermal suite (which is where the sauna/steam are). The woman tried to sell me the $150 package and I said I won't be using it that often so declined. The next morning I went to get the single day $30 pass. The same woman was there, and when I refused the week pass again, she offered it to me for $99, which I took. I guess 2/3 of a sale is better than no sale!

There's very little difference in the regular "caldarium" steam room ( which means hot room I guess) vs the "aromatherapy" one, except the latter has a hint of the "Elemis" fragrance that they fill the whole Spa with. The heated chaises are nice but found that they aren't that hot in the morning.

Gripes:

Whoever designed the doors to the saunas should learn what "ergonomic" means. The handles to pull them open are small cylindrical knobs which are very hard to grip when your hands are wet (unlike the tapered knobs in the showers which are no problem).

Did not encounter inappropriately dressed men (as reported in another thread) but some older eastern European men kept pouring water onto the elements in the dry sauna. Why they want to make their own steam instead of using the 2 steam rooms, I don't know.

There are 2 rain showers. The one with the Waterfall option is great, unfortunately I can only adjust the water from scalding hot to scalding hot no matter how I tried. Got the attendant to verify it and he said he made a report, but still was not fixed on day 7.

I did two spa treatments on two days and used the therma spa both times. Two steam rooms, one sauna, a rain shower, all ok. Best thing in mho were the heated lounge chairs. They were made out of white plastic - very Phillipe Starck if you know who that is -- and the whole thing is hot. Sort of like laying on a giant heating pad. Those were awesome if you have back problems. Both times I was in there alone for the majority of the time and then was joined by one male each time. Word of advice, if you go for a treatment and want to use the therma spa, bring a bathing suit. I only had my robe which was fine, soggy but fine, but all the facilities are co-ed and have to say both times, once during the morning at 10 and once at night at 8 the majority of the people in there were men. All in all, I wouldnt pay separately for it thought I might spend 150 to buy one of those lounge chairs...

We emailed RCC and their reply is below. It is a shame I have to pay to use the steam room.:(

Please be advised that there is no complimentary saunas/ steamroom onboard the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. The Thermal Suites located on deck five in the spa will provide a similar experience. Please note that the Thermal suites rent for thrity dollars a day and is unisex.

LaToya McAlpine

We emailed RCC and their reply is below. It is a shame I have to pay to use the steam room.:(

Please be advised that there is no complimentary saunas/ steamroom onboard the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. The Thermal Suites located on deck five in the spa will provide a similar experience. Please note that the Thermal suites rent for thrity dollars a day and is unisex.

LaToya McAlpine

Here are the back and forth ones I got.

Dear Adam:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in the response.

Rest assured, we do offer steam/sauna rooms in the mens locker room.

Adam, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 1/13/2010 09:38:49 AM

To: <crownandanchor@rccl.com>

Subject: RE: oasis

Damara,

Thanks for the response, this is strange as I have spoken to a few people who have been on the ship and they said there is no steam and sauna in the men's locker room that the only place that has it is the spa and there is a fee to use it. Can you please verify one way or the other for me

Thanks

Adam

-----Original Message-----

From: crownandanchor@rccl.com [mailto:crownandanchor@rccl.com]

Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:43 AM

Subject: RE: oasis

Dear Adam:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Oasis of the seas does offer steam/sauna rooms in each, men and women's locker room.

Royal Caribbean International prides itself on making the journey as incredible as the destination. From our innovative Spa and sports deck to spectacular stage shows to popular programs for kids and teens, our unique array of exciting activities really has a way of bringing people together.

To explore our numerous onboard activities and entertainment options, please visit our website (www.royalcaribbean.com), click on "Plan a Cruise"-"Ships"-"Oasis of the Seas" and then select "Onboard Experience."

Adam, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Damara Kelso

Just a fancy name for the collection of steam rooms, dry sauna, heated lounge chairs and showers.

I've never been much of a "spa" person and don't get facials and massages. But one of the small pleasures that I always enjoyed on sea days was using the steam room and sauna. A lot of ships have whirlpools in the spa area and in the past they were rarely used so it was a great place to relax. It's a shame with all Oasis has to offer, that the steam room and sauna are not complimentary. If I choose to use these facilities, I will probably pay for two days and not for the week because I would most likely not have time to go there every day. I'll refrain from accusing them of nickel and diming, but everything does add up. If this is a trend, I may have to pencil the cost into the price of the cruise. But as a past cruiser, there are some extras that you naturally expect to pay for and some perks that you expect to be included. I wonder how much extra they would have to charge for the cruise to offer the steam room and sauna for free.

Yes - one of the big disappointments with Oasis, was the lack of free use of Sauna/Steam room. This is available on Freedom, Voyager, and Explorer, but on Oasis is charged at $30 a day I think. Beautifully appointed Spa - but no-one using it as it was very expensive! Great waste of space. If they made treatments more affordable, the Spa would be put to good use.

They moved the showers into the lower level spa section as well, I don't know if they'll let you just use the showers, it's next to their desk so they'll see you go in. You definitely won't be able to use the lockers as those are for the guests with spa treatments.

• 1 month later...

My Hubby and I are Platinum members, however we have not been able financially to swing a cruise on Royal since 2007. In '08 an extremely bad year for us along with a lot of americans, we took a little 4 day cruise with NCL on the SKY under 400.00 for both of us including taxes! Royal couldn't come close. and last year we went on Carnival Liberty 7 day under 900.00. Although we did manage to have a great time on these other cruise lines we really missed our Prominade. Anyways, I'm like the original poster here I love love love to get up early and take a "free" sauna, then I walk 20 minutes on the treadmill then take a nice shower in the changing room at the spa!!! Oh so relaxing! I've been checking prices for this October and Royal is still the most expensive of all the mainstream cruises out there. I looked into Norwegian again as the Pearl has price under $1000.00. The thing that turned me off was the extra charge they have for the Sauna. Their charge is $20 a day or 99.00 for the week. Now I am sad to see that Royal is also going to that charge How sad!!! They are already more expensive then NCL, and Carnival. I think it is greedy of them to charge even more for the spa.

Archived