Carnival Brought Back Cave Tubing

navybaby1113

I was just looking at excursions for my April cruise and I saw that Carnival is offering cave tubing again. I really wanted to do it, but was worried about now making it back to the ship with an independent contract, so I was giddy when I saw this.

Just wanted to let other people know.

Do you know why they got rid of it? Cause the contractor they used did a sloppy job and someone was killed.

Do yourself a favor and book with one of the good companies (We used the folks at cavetubing.com) Had a blast and they run a first rate operation. We had no worries about making it back to the ship. They have multiple buses in case of a breakdown. The excursion was GREAT and probably half the cost of what the ship charges and take MUCH better care of you in the caves.

I second that motion! we went 4 wheeling along with the tubing! Even with the 4 wheeling, it was still cheaper then just tubing with the cruise line! We had a BLAST! Yahny was our guide, we paid after we were done

& if we wasn't happy with this tour we didn't have to pay! But of course, if we liked it, they would take tips as well. Sign up b4 u leave home & get a discount! P.S. Watch out for the CROCK-A-LOGS! haha;)

It's cave-tubing.com. When we went 2 years ago it was half the price of the Carnival excursion, you got to do 2 caves instead of one, and each group of tubers had multiple guides and kept everyone together in one group for extra safety. They also have a nice little area where you stop after and can get homemade tamales and local beer to enjoy on your ride home for very reasonable prices.

I was on the Legend in November '09, and Carnival still had the cave tubing excursion stricken because of the fatality.

Still.. we booked independently through cavetubing.bz

What we were told by Vitalino was that the old Carnival operator had loaded up the guides with too many tourists... I think it was 25 people per guide...

Two Carnival groups got stuck in a corner of the cave and in the chaos, a woman drowned underneath the 50 or so people.

Since then, Belize gov't regulations put a limit of 8 tourists per guide, and now the guides have to get certified.

I'd still go with a private tour like cave-tubing.com or cavetubing.bz, since they've been doing it safely and reliably for quite some time. The guides they use are probably more experienced that whoever Carnival may be using now.

We'll be using Vitalino at cavetubing.bz the first week of February so I'll be posting a detailed review shortly after returning........

I know they ran the caves from the beginning at Jaguar Paw and are the only ones that do 3 caves and have a back-up private set place to go if the weather doesn't agree and it rains hard the day before or something.

Oh - $45 includes lunch if you have 6 or more in your group!!!

Archived