What is it like sailing out of Tampa?

Jaymee287

We are first time cruisers sailing out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean :DWOO HOO:D we leave June 6th we have plenty of time but we are getting SUPER ANXIOUS!

I'm just wondering what the process is like sailing out of Tampa? Our hotel is 1 mile away and offers a shuttle to the port, leaving 4 times between 10:30 - 11:30. What time should we get there? Is it sooner the better, or what do you advise?

Like I said first time cruisers! So please pass along the info you have. If you have any kind of advice what-so-ever PLEASE DON'T BE SHY!

Thanks

Its been smooth for me all 6 times. There is only one ship there at a time, so its easy to figure out where to go. The garage is right across the street from the terminal, its all pretty easy to navigate. There are stores, restaurants and a coffee shop at Channelside Mall (which is part of the port complex) if you get there early.

Tampa is our favorite port to depart..! Airport is close by, always cabs available, and the terminal is easily accessible.. Even by Trolley!!!

We have arrived any time in the time-frame you mentioned, and were only delayed once, as the ship returned to port a tad late.

You'll love Tampa..

If you are there for a day pre-cruise, we recommend the day pass for the Trolley..

Take a ride to Ybor City.. 'Interesting'...!! Aquarium is nice too.. 8-)

Take the first shuttle over. The terminal in most people opinion here is one of the easiest terminals to sail out of. I am a little partial but, it is......The sail out of the pier is great. Position yourself on the starboard side (right) forward on the ship fpr the best view. On the port side you would be looking at the port/fuel tanks as opposed to land and nice homes on the port side. At the end of Harbour Island coming out of the pier/channel area is a really cool huge home with it's own lighthouse. It is kinda cool.

In about 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes you will be going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Something not to be missed.....

Enjoy your cruise.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.figgbridge.com/Images/Bridge%2520Portfolio/Cable-Stayed%2520Bridges/Sunshine%2520Skyway%2520Bridge/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge_1.png&imgrefurl=http://www.figgbridge.com/sunshine_skyway_bridge.html&h=457&w=813&sz=641&tbnid=f60H4Ps99e93nM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=144&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsunshine%2Bskyway%2Bbridge%2Bpictures&hl=en&usg=__dcKchW2r2hwKv0_Z1cR_2xoFoSQ=&ei=w3ZOS4TqOIWWtgfysMnpDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ9QEwAg

Whether or not early is the best choice really depends on what is happening on the ship. We've been delayed here because of a wedding where the wedding party and guests were straggling. That particular time we were lined up outside waiting. Once we were allowed on board there wasn't anyone waiting in line to get in at all. In fact we hardly saw anyone come into the building. We tend to base our time of arrival on when check out time is. Since you can't stay in your room you might as well head for the pier. Once you are checked in, if they aren't allowing people to board yet there is a seating area in which to wait.

I agree that Tampa is a great port to sail out of. We arrived before 11 am, dropped off our luggage and then walked around Channelside for awhile before boarding the ship. We got on around noon and then hung out on the Lido deck until our rooms were ready at 1:30.

We departed right on time and passed under the bridge between 6:15 and 6:30 pm. We watched Tampa disappear into the distance from the rear of the lido deck and then headed up to the very top of the ship to go under the bridge.

This is a great port, nice ship and woderful itinerary. I love the fact it has four ports.

Tampa is a wonderful port to sail out of. We went last year I missed the bridge we were at dinner. I did see out the window because our table was near a window. The only problem I had was that we got off the ship too quickly and were at the airport to fly home before you could ever check in with airline. I was told not to get a return flight until after noon and we were at the airport at 9 am. I could have used the day at home instead of at the airport.

We LOVED sailing out of Tampa...everything was quick, easy and painless. Get there early... so you can hopefully board early and get the party started. We took a taxi from our hotel near Channelside and got there around 10:45. I think we were on the ship around 11:30 or 12.

Then grab a Funship Special when you get on board, get some lunch, grab a map and go explore the ship. Your probably won't be able to get into your cabin until 1:30 or so, so consider that with how much you carry-on (you'll have to lug it around). We put as mich as we can in our checked luggage, including bottled water, pop/soda, wine, & some smuggled alcohol.

The Western Caribbean on the Legend is AWESOME. Have a great cruise... and be prepared for the addiction!

Without a doubt, Tampa is far and away the easiest port to sail into, and out of. As everyone above noted, it's convenient, well staffed, and organized far better than any of the other ports we've had the pleasure to sail out of. (And that's most of 'em.) :D Have a wonderful cruise, and don't worry about embarkation/debarkation.

"SKY"

We are first time cruisers sailing out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean :DWOO HOO:D we leave June 6th we have plenty of time but we are getting SUPER ANXIOUS!

I'm just wondering what the process is like sailing out of Tampa? Our hotel is 1 mile away and offers a shuttle to the port, leaving 4 times between 10:30 - 11:30. What time should we get there? Is it sooner the better, or what do you advise?

Like I said first time cruisers! So please pass along the info you have. If you have any kind of advice what-so-ever PLEASE DON'T BE SHY!

Thanks

We live in Tampa so we have cruised twice out of this port. Both times were very easy. We got to the port at 10:30 am last time and stood in line for a short time only until they opened the doors and then we were processed and seated while they called zones. We were on the Lido by 11:30am eating lunch. The parking garage is across the street from the terminal so very close by. We missed going under the bridge the first time because we had early seating and the second time it was dark out by then..(Nov) but we could see it from our cabin as we passed under. We have done Miami and Ft L and think Tampa was the easiest so far. Next trip we go our of Pt Canaveral. I would recommend Tampa.

We're sailing on the Legend coming up in April. We fly into Tampa on Sunday morning. What is the best way to get from the airport to the ship? Should we purchase the transfer through Carnival or just take a taxi?

Just grab a cab. It's a flat fee of $25 per cab (not per person). I don't know that the cruise line charges but I'd bet it is quite a bit more and there's no way it could be any more convenient than just taking the first cab you see.

We're sailing on the Legend coming up in April. We fly into Tampa on Sunday morning. What is the best way to get from the airport to the ship? Should we purchase the transfer through Carnival or just take a taxi?

A taxi is cheaper. Only 22 or 23 bucks to the pier from tpa in feb. 2008. Couldn't have gone up too much since then. Ride is only 15 minutes or so. Hope this helps. Bill.

We just sailed out of Tampa a week ago today....

I found it to be the worst of the 4 Florida ports we have done so far.....

1st, it is the only terminal right in the center of downtown and traffic, which for out of towners, isn't the best situation.

Jacksonville is north of town, out by itself, with nothing else in the area.

Easy in and out to the Interstate.

Fort Lauderdale is right by the airport and in an industrial area, away from the city itself.

Port Canaveral is also, out by itself. (slightly confusing signs entering) but easy in and out.

We arrived Monday at around 10:45AM, found our way there just fine but the police directing traffic would not let us pull in to drop off bags and valet was not open yet, as the Inspiration had arrived late and were beginning debarkation.

The police would not offer any suggestions on which way to go, or where to go, just yelled at us to move it.....(so there were multiple confused out of town cars blocking traffic while trying to figure out where to go)

We circled the parking structure a few times until we found an entrance open to head in.

We then had to all of our luggage a couple of blocks back to the terminal to give to a porter. (although we had been told they would not accept bags until after 12 noon at the eraliest)

Once inside, the check in process was just as easy as the other ports.

But at Tampa, rather than seat people in order to board, like the other 3 ports do, they just let you sit wherever and give you a number for your group to board.

By the time the started boarding before 1PM, the latest arrivals were completely blocking the entrance ramp to the ship and thus, slowed down the embarkation to a crawl.

Out of our 6 cruises from Florida at 4 different ports, Tampa was definitely the least organized and smooth of the ports.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding early seating and going under the bridge. This will be my kids first time cruising and I really want to them to experience it all! But we have early dining -- does the ships always go under two and a half hours after sail away? And I know this is a really stupid question - but why does it take over two hours to get to a bridge that's in Tampa??? I don't want to switch to anytime dining because one of my favorite parts of cruising was the fun relationship we have with our servers! I'm a little worried about late seating but that's what we might end up doing - especially because we are in Cozumel until 7pm which would get us back on the boat right at dinnertime.

I have a question regarding early seating and going under the bridge. This will be my kids first time cruising and I really want to them to experience it all! But we have early dining -- does the ships always go under two and a half hours after sail away? And I know this is a really stupid question - but why does it take over two hours to get to a bridge that's in Tampa??? I don't want to switch to anytime dining because one of my favorite parts of cruising was the fun relationship we have with our servers! I'm a little worried about late seating but that's what we might end up doing - especially because we are in Cozumel until 7pm which would get us back on the boat right at dinnertime.

Not stupid at all. The reason it takes so long is most folks don't realize it is about 25 miles to the bridge. The other thing that slows the process down is that the ship has to navigate a dredged channel in the bay. There are twists and turns in this it is just not a straight shot......

Usual time from port to bridge is as said 2 hours and 15 minutes to 2 1/2 hours.....

Like most others have said Tampa is great! I live here and have been out of the port two times. The first time we got there around 11:30am and it literally took us 20 minutes from the time that we stepped out of our car in the garage across the street until we were eating lunch on the Lido deck!!! The second time it was a little longer - got there around 12pm and were on board within about 35-40 minutes - most of the second time was just waiting in the lobby sitting down until our section was called to board. Overall very very easy and quick check in. You will love it. Make sure you check out going under the Skyway Bridge....normally about 2 hours after you depart is when you will get there. ....oh and check out the Million Dollar homes on the Starboard side just after you leave the port. There is one that takes up the entire end of the peninsula!!!!!

Archived