What is it like sailing out of Tampa?

Jaymee287

I have a question regarding early seating and going under the bridge. This will be my kids first time cruising and I really want to them to experience it all! But we have early dining -- does the ships always go under two and a half hours after sail away? And I know this is a really stupid question - but why does it take over two hours to get to a bridge that's in Tampa??? I don't want to switch to anytime dining because one of my favorite parts of cruising was the fun relationship we have with our servers! I'm a little worried about late seating but that's what we might end up doing - especially because we are in Cozumel until 7pm which would get us back on the boat right at dinnertime.

You could always eat in the buffet restaurant the first night. There's also the pizza place and a grill but not sure if the grill is open at dinner time or if it's just an afternoon thing.

I have always had trouble finding the entrance to the parking garage. Other than than Tampa's port has been a breeze.

The Skyway is a sight when the ship goes under. It's very, very, very close to the funnel. Early diners will only see it from the dining room. It's worth it to go a little late to see it. You might want to tell the server you'll be right back.

I have always had trouble finding the entrance to the parking garage. Other than than Tampa's port has been a breeze.

The Skyway is a sight when the ship goes under. It's very, very, very close to the funnel. Early diners will only see it from the dining room. It's worth it to go a little late to see it. You might want to tell the server you'll be right back.

I always use the velet to park the car. Only $3.00 extra a day.....;)

I sailed out of Tampa 3 years ago and it was awesome! We drove in from ATL, left around 6 am and arrived at the port by 1:00. Parked in the garage, which has reasonable rates (or did at the time anyway). Short walk across the street where they took our bags and we were onboard within 30-45 minutes.

I sail out of Jacksonville on 4/26. I look forward to see how it compares!

I sailed out of Tampa 3 years ago and it was awesome! We drove in from ATL, left around 6 am and arrived at the port by 1:00. Parked in the garage, which has reasonable rates (or did at the time anyway). Short walk across the street where they took our bags and we were onboard within 30-45 minutes.

I sail out of Jacksonville on 4/26. I look forward to see how it compares!

You will love Jaxport. It does not get any easier!

What hotel are you staying at, we always have a hard time finding a hotel with a shuttle, do they do park and cruise? Thanks

tampa is a great place to cruise out of, as the other poster said, our only problem is getting to the parking garage, what with one way streets ect....

We are first time cruisers sailing out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean :DWOO HOO:D we leave June 6th we have plenty of time but we are getting SUPER ANXIOUS!

I'm just wondering what the process is like sailing out of Tampa? Our hotel is 1 mile away and offers a shuttle to the port, leaving 4 times between 10:30 - 11:30. What time should we get there? Is it sooner the better, or what do you advise?

Like I said first time cruisers! So please pass along the info you have. If you have any kind of advice what-so-ever PLEASE DON'T BE SHY!

Thanks

Fabulous embark port and fabulous ship!!

I would recommend getting there before 12:30 or after 2:30.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering a Sunday, June 13th 2010 Southwest flight from Baltimore from BWI @ 9:25am arriving in Tampa @ 11:50am. This is the first flight Southwest runs on Sundays out of Baltimore. What do you think? Is this flight to risky? The Carnival Legend departs at 4:00pm. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

We LOVE sailing out of Tampa - it is our closest port - only an hour away. We have arrived there each time around 11 and went through everything quickly and smoothly!!

I agree with Host Mach - be sure to time everything right so you are on deck when you are close to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge!! It looks like you're gonna hit it and almost like you can touch it! It's awesome!!

Happy Sailing!!!

I guess that I will give tampa another try. When we went out on the legend last Aug 09 We felt the embarkation was very slow. later i found out about some info about periodicly the crew has a document inspection. BUT, the cruise was great and the sunshine bridge pics are ones you will treasure.

Take the first shuttle over. The terminal in most people opinion here is one of the easiest terminals to sail out of. I am a little partial but, it is......The sail out of the pier is great. Position yourself on the starboard side (right) forward on the ship fpr the best view. On the port side you would be looking at the port/fuel tanks as opposed to land and nice homes on the port side. At the end of Harbour Island coming out of the pier/channel area is a really cool huge home with it's own lighthouse. It is kinda cool.

In about 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes you will be going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Something not to be missed.....

Enjoy your cruise.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.figgbridge.com/Images/Bridge%2520Portfolio/Cable-Stayed%2520Bridges/Sunshine%2520Skyway%2520Bridge/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge_1.png&imgrefurl=http://www.figgbridge.com/sunshine_skyway_bridge.html&h=457&w=813&sz=641&tbnid=f60H4Ps99e93nM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=144&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsunshine%2Bskyway%2Bbridge%2Bpictures&hl=en&usg=__dcKchW2r2hwKv0_Z1cR_2xoFoSQ=&ei=w3ZOS4TqOIWWtgfysMnpDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ9QEwAg

jessemon were your from this area, I was wondering where to stay for a couple days pre-cruise that I could get to the trolley to get around easily. Is Ybor city the most expensive area to stay? I love Clearwater & the trolleys for site seeing, is this place similiar?

Thanks for any info you can share?

Thanks for all the info.. we leave on Saturday on Granduer. This will be our last Florida port to try.

If Im not mistaken, the Grandeur does not dock at the same terminal as the Legend so most of the previous responses may not apply to you. Still the same channel and you will still go under the bridge, but the terminal and checkin etc will different.

I've sailed from Tampa three times now. Each time has been smooth with very little waiting to board. Luckily, we live close enough that we can have friends drop us off rather than spending the $ parking. But, there is a garage across the street if you drive. We usually arrive around 12. By the time we board, we can access our rooms to drop off our carry ons then go up to the lido for a DOD and lunch. Going under the bridge is a awesome experience and not one to be missed. Try the buffet that night or switch seating times or try anytime dining. It's only one night.

I would hesitate flying in on the same day as sailing just in case there's an issue with your flight. Plus, you could hit traffic driving over from the air port. Never know with accidents around here.

We plan on booking another cruise on the Legend this Fall. Happy Cruising:D

Archived