Couples Luggage Makes a Royal Splash

sas80

[quote name='mtchg']...to be honest; when we just carry on all our luggage, I STILL offer a couple of dollars to
the porter; I realize tips are how they make any kind of money, and I appreciate their efforts even if I don't need them at the time.

On my last cruise, when he learned we would carry on ourselves he would not accept the tip; but that is rare lol.

Mitch[/quote]
I'm not sure about porters in San Juan, but the porters in most US ports are all well paid union longshoremen and it is not necessary to tip them.

And I thought my damage luggage was bad. After reading this story I am glad that my problem was minor.

While I was not on a RCL this cruise I have to admit that my "carry on" luggage was damaged at the port.

I knowingly turned over an expensive hard-bodied carry-on to the porter at the pier. When it finally came to my cabin I discovered that there where two large ugly gashes on the outside of my luggage. One on each side.

Did I blame the cruise line? NO. Do I blame myself? YES! Will I do it again? Not only NO but H#LL NO!

Why? First, porters do not work for the cruise line so why blame them.

Second, I did receive my luggage with everything in it and the damage was only to the outside. Although that piece of luggage will now only be used to store items in it, in-between cruises. It will never see the inside of a cruise ship again.

And third, I knew better but I just got laxed and thought every thing would go my way.

I give it is true that ???? happens.

[quote name='Redheada']Let me get this straight....you all believe that if you hand any of your bags over to a Porter you basically are playing roulette and you should feel lucky when you get your bags?

I do think if you have medications you should carry them with you, however, you should also be able to rely on the employees that are hired to transport your bags to the stateroom to get them there and in tact. This was apparently an accident that was no fault of this couple. It was nice they provided some compensation, benefits, etc. But I imagine the aggravation right at the beginning of a vacation (and I am sure the numerous letters and calls that had to be made to fight for what they did get) probably affected their vacation tremendously.

This is why I always get travel insurance......[/quote]I don't know if I'd call it roulette, but even if they do it right 99.9% of the time that means that, averagely, several people are going to have lost/damaged luggage on each cruise.

[quote name='Lafayette Cruiser']I'm not sure about porters in San Juan, but the porters in most US ports are all well paid union longshoremen and it is not necessary to tip them.[/quote]
It may not be "necessary", but if you want to risk offending a longshoreman by not tipping, you are definitely playing roulette with your bags. If you think they don't expect a tip, you are an optimist of the highest order. And a union member who "allowed" a bag to get lost or damaged in retribution would be defended to the hilt by his union.

[quote name='dixieva']We find a seat in the WJ and we take turns getting lunch so someone is always with the luggage. [/quote]

What do you suggest as a solo traveller? I have cruised Disney before (and they open one of their regular dining rooms plus their buffet), but I had one of my adult children with me to take turns watching the bags. I was going to leave the bag at a table while I got some lunch; I don't see another choice. :confused:

(woo hoo, my first post on this board! You guys here are so helpful.)

Archived