Need airlines suggestions for Legend Transatlantic

bldsld

Hi all,

As I have been late in booking air reservations, I am having a really difficult time getting from SFO to STT, and then back from LIS to SFO, using upgradeable fares for business class. Apparently, SFO is akin to Timbuktu, so it has become very problematical getting a round-trip fare. Delta and NWA can't even price it out, other than as 2 one-way fares.

Has anyone any suggestions for consolidators, or routing through certain cities where the fares can be booked as multi-city round trips? I am really quite surprised that it is so difficult. BTW, Continental has no upgrades available.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Denyse

I would ask the folks at http://www.flyertalk.com for advice. They are very knowledgeable and good about helping.

But, I think you have 2 problems:

1. You are trying to do an open-jaw. An arcane rule of open-jaw flights is that the non-flown portion must be less than either of the flown portions. I used http://www.webflyer.com, using their "milemarker" function to figure out miles. SFO to St Thomas is 3680, and St Thomas to Lisbon, which you are not flying, is 3610, giving you a cushion of 70 miles. However, this is a very small spread, and the airlines may be using different mileage charts.

2. In order to upgrade, at least on DL, you must use DL coded flights. While they do fly to St Thomas, they do not fly from Lisbon. Perhaps you could get a cheapie inter-European flight to an airport they do fly out of? If all else fails, AA has a decent biz class fare to St. Thomas for about $880. I am not familiar with NW rules.

I have probably confused/depressed you. I hope it works out!

Last year we flew United San Francisco-Dulles-St. Thomas and Lisbon 0n Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then United Frankfurt-San Francisco I think I booked the flights on United's internet site; we upgraded to business (except Lisbon-Frankfurt) using miles. The fare was about $1500.00 for each of us. A call to United might be worth your while. Have fun--we had super weather and a smooth sailing. Love those days at sea!!

Hi Winner,

Thanks for the additional suggestion. Unfortunately, United has severely restricted it's allotment of upgradeable seats, and there are none at present, despite the fact that there are available seats in business class for purchase.

I've spent about 6 hours dealing with various airlines today, and my unfortunate conclusion is that the people who are working at these difficult jobs haven't a clue what they can or cannot do. I spoke with Continental today on 4 separate occasions, and was bemused by the 4 completely different answers I received to the same questions, thus causing my upgrades to become lost. I am sure it is not just me noticing how difficult the process of using miles has become, regardless of your elite program status, and regardless of the airlines.

And to add to the growing list of candidates for the Darwin award, the young male reservationist at hotels.com hadn't a clue how to spell Lisbon, nor did he realize it was the capital of Portugal, or that there is a country called Portugal. He told me that he was from Texas and thus didn't need to know the capital of Portugal!!! Had my computer been working at the time, I would have gone online. Needless to say, I am without air or hotels at this time, and not really caring a whole lot as I ponder the absence of literacy in this country.

Regards,

Denyse

Denyse, I hope all works out for you. I had a horrible time finding something decent for this cruise as well. Here's what I ended up with

Saturday March 26th

Chicago Midway - San Juan on ATA (I know risky)

San Juan - St Thomas on Cape Air

We get in at 2:30 - ended up booking one night at the Holiday Inn.

Saturday April 9th

Lisbon - London On British Airways Club Europe

London - Chicago Ohare on British Airways Club World (somehow managed to get the upper deck! ;))

Still no hotel booked yet in Lisbon as I am still researching it. We'll mainly be shopping.

I agree that flyertalk.com is very helpful - beware the forums are heavily moderated. :)

I am not sure what CruisinMat means about the Flyertalk boards being heavily moderated. I do know they have no patience for cross posting -- so do not post your same question on the DL and NW board -- I would suggest a general board such as TravelBuzz. At least with Flyertalk whole threads do not disappear with no explanation as they do on CC.

A cardinal rule of "gaming" the airline system is to keep calling -- if you don't like the first answer, gracefully get off the phone and call back. I would let the hotel problem wait -- the flights are far more important and you can figure out the hotel situation later.

I sympathize with your frustration dealing with the clerks -- but remember, for now, they hold your future in their (incompetent) hands!

Actually, this thread reads as one on FlyerTalk! As a USAir CP, I read it a lot.

Can you fly USAir, it's safe til June. You can try a codeshare with United, SFO to Philly and then to STT and perhaps return from LHR on United. This is a guess. I know it can get complicated. Both USAir and United are in the Star Alliamce and pernaps you can use SpanAir or one of the other airlines.

Jane in PHL (who is double booked for FLL to be sure not to miss the QM3 in February)

I am not sure what CruisinMat means about the Flyertalk boards being heavily moderated. I do know they have no patience for cross posting --

I didn't mean for what I said to sound negative ;) One just has to be sure to read all of the "stickys" before asking questions otherwise you'll be referred back to them. This happened to me on the Delta Skymiles forum and I had to kindly tell them that my question truely was not answered in the sticky.

Sorry! :)

We have also had a dreadful time trying to arrange for flights for this cruise. We finally had it all arranged - United from Toronto to Washington, D.C., and then United to STT. However after booking the flights, United changed the time of the first flight and we could no longer make the connection with the second so now we must fly to Washington, then to Charlotte, and then to STT. 3 flights in one short day - yuk! The things we do to get to the Legend :)

Coming back was a little easier - Continental from Lisbon to Newark, and then a connecting flight to Toronto. So far the airline hasn't changed these flights.

Good luck Denyse. Your New York friends told us you were on this cruise. We'll look forward to meeting you.

CeeJay

Matt, you are right. I had forgotten how quickly the regulars jump on newbies who ask obvious questions! But, I think Denyse will be well treated as hers is one of those challenges that tend to intrique that board's regulars.

Hi all,

Thanks for the really great suggestions everyone! I've got reservations now on Delta, although it is costing more than double the cost of the cruise!!! I should have booked this earlier; my fault for being so delinquent in waiting.

Ceejay, the upgrades, as well as special business class fares, are not available on the LIS-EWR flight. Again, procrastination has limited my selections. BTW, we will be flying to STT with our NY friends!

Regards,

Denyse

Hi Matt,

On the outbound, we're booked on Delta SFO-JFK, on the 24th. On the 27th, we fly from JFK to San Juan, and connect on American for a short flight to STT. We're not using miles for this, we are booking a decent business class rate.

On the return, we're booked on Air France as a codeshare (very early A.M.) to CDG, then Delta to JFK, then JFK-SFO. On the AF segment, we're in coach. For the balance of the trip, we're using miles to upgrade. The total cost per R/T ticket is right around $3400 each (double the cost of the cruise!!!). ;-)

We do not have any miles for BA. What exactly is Club World?

Thanks,

Denyse

Club World is BA's "Business", quite nice, almost similar to first on some airlines. Trust me, you got a better deal that I did ;) I'm well over $4000 on airfare alone.

Have you found a hotel in Lisbon yet? I have a few written down but have not finished my research yet. We want to do some heavy shopping for the most part, there is a huge mall called Columbo I read about. I had thought about booking at a resort near the ocean, but I'm sure the weather will not be hot enough for that!!!

Matt,

I'm now holding a reservation on BA, although it adds another $800 to each ticket. The good thing about it, however, is that we get a non-stop out of LHR to SFO. Anyway, I'll decide tomorrow what we're going to do. I'm holding both Delta and BA and will sleep on it.

We haven't picked a hotel yet. I'm not as interested in shopping as I am seeing the sights. I will be interested to hear what your search turns up. I'm just happy to be able to get in and out of SF! I'm sure the hotel will be alot simpler than the flights were.

Denyse

Love those days at sea!!

Ah, yes, but your SA cruise on the Pride sounds absolutely fantastic! Want to trade???????????? ;-)

Have a great cruise, Winner. We'll be looking forward to your report before we head off to do the TA in late March.

Regards,

Denyse

Sorry, Denyse, but no trade this time! We did overnight in Lisbon due to early connecting flight the next day, at the Lisbon Marriott. It's nearish to the airport and a pretty decent hotel but not centrally located for touring. We just wanted a place to stay before heading home and couldn't find flights for the day we disembarked. The price was pretty good; we even opted for concierge floor and snacked free for dinner. After Seabourn for 13 days, who needs more food?

I'll post after our cruise and before yours.

Winner

Denyse -

So glad to hear you have your flights pretty well finalized. Its always worth the hassle once you get to the ship. Are you staying at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef in St. Thomas? Maybe we'll see you there before the cruise.

We are staying at the Pestana Palace in Lisbon for 2 nights before flying home - one of our friends taking this cruise found this hotel and it looks really special.

Only a couple of months until we go. :) By then our ugly winter weather will be almost over.

CeeJay

Ceejay, thanks for the hotel information. What can you tell me about it? Perhaps we will book our 3 nights there. We're not staying in St.Thomas at all, quite intentionally. Rather, we are flying to NY on the 24th to stay with our friends for a couple of days, and then the 4 of us are all flying together out ofNY to meet the Legend on the 27th.

Winner, I agree---an airport hotel wouldn't work for us for touring, although I might book the airport Marriott on our final night, given the early series of flights the next morning. By the way, how did you fare during the recent storms? I know the North Bay was hit quite hard.

Denyse

I'm now holding a reservation on BA, although it adds another $800 to each ticket.

Denyse

Hi Denyse

I can highly recommend BA Club World for TA flights. Most of their flights have proper sleeper seats in Club. You can check on the BA website (www.ba.com) what they are and if they have them on your flight. I think there are only one or two other airlines that have sleeper seats in Business class eg Singapore Airlines.

I'll wave to you from the Pride - maybe we can get the Captains to arrange a rendezvous mid-Atlantic. :)

-----------------------------------------

Just taken this from the BA website (edited)

Cabin re-design update

Selected British Airways flights are now fully fitted with our re-designed cabins, offering more space, comfort and luxury than ever before.

More comfort and luxury

The new Club World features our unique six-foot, fully flat bed, 30% extra personal space, in-seat laptop power and personal phone, taking business class to another level.

The following destinations feature the new Club World cabins.

Atlanta

Barbados

Bermuda

Boston

Chicago

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Los Angeles

Mexico

Miami

Montreal

New York (JFK)

New York (Newark)

Philadelphia

Phoenix

San Francisco

Seattle

Toronto

Vancouver

Washington DC (IAD)

Hi Norm,

So nice to hear from you! Yes, I see that the sleeper seats are now in business class. Do you have any idea what seats they now use in that funny in-between category, World Traveller Plus? Are they the seats with legsrests that used to be in business class about a year or so ago?

BTW, can you tell me where Chelmsford is, and how far it is from LHR?

Thanks so much. Hope you are well!

Denyse

Hi Denyse

Never tried World Traveller Plus but this is what I found on the BA website

What is the seat size in World Traveller Plus, including the seat pitch?

Seat pitch is 38-inches, which is the distance from the back of your seat cushion (where it meets the upright support) to the back of the seat in front of you.

Seat cushion width is 18.5-inches.

Angle of seat maximum recline is 7".

Overall length of seat back upright is 26-inches.

Our World Traveller Plus offers the benefits of a separate economy cabin with fewer seats (a maximum of 5 rows) and seven inches extra legroom (seat pitch 38 inches), giving you more space to relax and stretch out. Your seat is not only wider and more comfortable, it comes with additional recline, adjustable headrest, 4 way lumbar support, footrest and legrest. Your personal in-seat entertainment system provides a wider choice of on screen entertainment with 18 channels of the latest blockbuster movies and TV entertainment as well as interactive computer games*

If you need to work, your seat is equipped with laptop power point and individual phone.

Before your journey, enjoy double the hand baggage allowance to World Traveller and extra Executive Club BA Miles and Tier Points when you fly World Traveller Plus.

If it's not ridiculously expensive Club World is great, particularly for such a long flight - about 11 hours isn't it? I collect BA miles and will be using BA Club to fly to MIA in March. Seabourn UK gets very good rates for BA - it may be worth asking Seabourn at Blue Lagoon if they have access to those rates.

Oh yes, Chelmsford is about 70 miles from Heathrow. Not easy by public transport but I can check, if it helps.

Archived