Pirates of the Caribbean vs. South Shore Canopy

Happy2cu

Sounds like from what I've read that South Shore Canopy is a very good tour. I'm wondering if anyone has done the Pirates of the Caribbean? I was originally checking out Victor Bodden's Zipline, but it seems like either one of the others would be more exciting.

Beware of Pirates of the Caribbean. They are a bunch of young, unprofessional people. We used them in December. First you walk out the port gates and up a rather steep hill where the vultures wait for you. Eventually you will come to a couple of kids from Pirates of the Caribbean. Next you stand in the hot sun while they try to hawk a few more customers and then it is off to their shack in the hills. Along the way they talked us into the more expensive tour after we had signed up for the regular tour. Once we were outfitted, it was off to the starting line. They took us up the hill in a banged up, broken down SUV. Make sure you wear a seat belt if you can find one. The zip lines seem OK but some of the platforms feel like they are going to fall apart. Finally, beware of paying with a credit card. They convert to their currency so you better know the exchange rate. Second, they tack on a hidden fee for using the credit card. Finally you will find a hefty fee on your credit card statement for the currency exchange. I complained about the hidden charge. First they said I was notified of the charge on my credit card receipt. If it is there, it is in Spanish. Then they promised a refund but never delivered. I would book with a reputable company.

Thanks for the post!! We are still trying to figure out which one to do. Any other reviews??

Click on the Search feature in this forum and do a search for both places, and you'll get tons of hits & reviews. I can only speak for South Shore Canopy, and our zipline experience there last week was AMAZING!

Thanks for your input. We booked with South Shore.

Congrats! I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a great time! Be sure to give the guides your camera and they'll take a ton of pics, and even video clips of you.

Who did you book through to go to South Shore? Directly through them or did you sign up with a tour guide?

We booked thru Island Marketing dot com, which is also roatancruiseexcursions dot com. You can also book it thru shoretrips dot com, too.

"I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a great time! Be sure to give the guides your camera and they'll take a ton of pics, and even video clips of you".

I've read that they will take your picture, but just wondering how the guides take your picture when you are zipping away from them?

"I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a great time! Be sure to give the guides your camera and they'll take a ton of pics, and even video clips of you".

I've read that they will take your picture, but just wondering how the guides take your picture when you are zipping away from them?

There are two guides... one who hooks you up & gets you ready to zip to the next platform and the other is at the "receiving" end on the next platform. He zips over first and meets you there, unclips you, etc. The "receiving" guide hooks your camera onto his headgear, and takes some of him zipping over (very scenic), and of you & each of your group arriving.

Beware of Pirates of the Caribbean. They are a bunch of young, unprofessional people. We used them in December. First you walk out the port gates and up a rather steep hill where the vultures wait for you. Eventually you will come to a couple of kids from Pirates of the Caribbean. Next you stand in the hot sun while they try to hawk a few more customers and then it is off to their shack in the hills. Along the way they talked us into the more expensive tour after we had signed up for the regular tour. Once we were outfitted, it was off to the starting line. They took us up the hill in a banged up, broken down SUV. Make sure you wear a seat belt if you can find one. The zip lines seem OK but some of the platforms feel like they are going to fall apart. Finally, beware of paying with a credit card. They convert to their currency so you better know the exchange rate. Second, they tack on a hidden fee for using the credit card. Finally you will find a hefty fee on your credit card statement for the currency exchange. I complained about the hidden charge. First they said I was notified of the charge on my credit card receipt. If it is there, it is in Spanish. Then they promised a refund but never delivered. I would book with a reputable company.

I have to disagree with this post. We had an AWESOME time at Pirates of the Caribbean and always felt safe!! (We were just there last week) No problems with the employees, ziplines, harnesses, or platforms whatsoever.

Also, there were signs posted at the register in ENGLISH for a 4% credit card fee, so I'm not sure how that was a hidden charge? Ask them to charge you in lempiras (the Honduran currency) and let your credit card/bank due to the converting to make sure you get a fair conversion rate. Better yet, we just brought cash - $45 for the regular zipline or $65 for extreme.

We would go again in a heartbeat. It was an awesome trip.

I have to disagree with this post. We had an AWESOME time at Pirates of the Caribbean and always felt safe!! (We were just there last week) No problems with the employees, ziplines, harnesses, or platforms whatsoever.

Also, there were signs posted at the register in ENGLISH for a 4% credit card fee, so I'm not sure how that was a hidden charge? Ask them to charge you in lempiras (the Honduran currency) and let your credit card/bank due to the converting to make sure you get a fair conversion rate. Better yet, we just brought cash - $45 for the regular zipline or $65 for extreme.

We would go again in a heartbeat. It was an awesome trip.

I'd have to agree with bqkali. We went last week and my only complaint was that it ended too quickly ;). We had a blast and yet, always felt safe. We had 1 woman that had a problem with heights. They took extra time to make sure she was comfortable.

We did have to hike over the hill to get out of the cruise port, like all of the private excursions do. I started looking for the sign and another guy quickly approached me. I told him I was looking for "Pirates" and he walked us a little farther and hooked us up with Harry and Edder. We waited for another couple that had booked, but they were "no-shows".

They drove us to the base where we were fitted with harnesses and helmets, drove us up to the top (awesome view) and off we went. Russel and Juan were our guides for this part. I would highly reccommend them.

Hope this helps,

John

Oh yeah, we did the extreme!!!!

Archived