Compare Uxmal to Dzibilchaltun

Grits53

I have visited Uxmal twice, and it is by far my favorite Mayan ruin site of the 3 I've visited....Uxmal, Tulum, & Chacchoben. (although I thoroughly enjoyed each site) My DH did not cruise with me either time when I went to Uxmal, so he has not had the pleasure of seeing it. He has only been to Tulum, but he is very interested in visiting ruins and will be cruising to Progreso with me in March. Since I would like to see more ruins, I am wondering if Dzibilchaltun would be acceptable for him this time. Can someone please compare the two sites, as far as size, number of structures, and points of interest? I'd love to see Chichen Itza, and I will some day. However, I have no desire to go there from a cruise ship, because I know I would not be happy with the limited amount of time spent there. So this trip, the decision will be between Uxmal & Dzibilchaltun. Thanks for your input!

Uxmal is by far a more complex and engrossing Mayan site. Along with Chichen Itza and Mayapan, it was one of 3 major cities in the Mayan world. Near Uxmal is Kabah, also very interesting. hiring a local, registered guide on site $450 - 600 pesos is the way to go. The drawback is the time needed to get there (2-2.5 hours, one way)

Dzibilchaltun is smaller but much easier to get to time wise. There is an interesting museum on site as well. It would be a good introduction to someone who has never seen a site, but would be anti-climactic for someone already familiar with Mayan ruins.

Happy travels!

Thanks for the input. DH is saying now that he wants to see Uxmal, so I guess that is where we're going this time. I can understand that, because I have told him so much about Uxmal, and he wants to see it for himself. As for me, I want to see as many Mayan sites as possible. I think a land based vacation will have to be in our future, so we can see many more Mayan sites. :cool:

Grits. By all means start planning a land vacation with Merida's historical center as your base. There's entertainment every night in one of the Plazas and a great street fair every Sat evening and all day Sunday. So much fun.

Grits. By all means start planning a land vacation with Merida's historical center as your base. There's entertainment every night in one of the Plazas and a great street fair every Sat evening and all day Sunday. So much fun.

Can you recommend a hotel or resort in that area (that doesn't cost two arms and a leg....)?

Archived