New York Hotel bargains?

Gingee

Does anyone know of any good New York hotel bargains for before the cruise on the Legend (wherever it comes in) and after the cruise. I don't need fancy - just safe and clean and fairly close to everything.

I am staying at Park Central NY next week... will let you know how it is. It's quite a bargain compared to what I usually pay in Midtown. $99-$109 each night for next week... Couldn't pass it up. I've stayed in some rat traps in NY for much more... so worth a shot! http://www.parkcentralny.com/

We're staying in NY the day before our Legend Cruise at the Hilton NY. I fussed and fussed with Priceline for weeks before having to cough up $110 a night. But it still is much less expensive than "regular rates". I was getting very discouraged because almost EVERYTHING seems to be $199 a night. Doesn't matter where. That's where I got the best price, and it really isn't great. But it's convenient to the pier, and that's good. Good luck. I know how frustrating that is.

Ok - New Yorker to the rescue here!! First of all try Priceline - you'll get more hotel for the money - especially in my hometown.

If you want to know what you're booking - try:

Hot Rate Hotels

Hotels.com

Lodging.com

Keep in mind you only get what you pay for and that rule holds VERY true in NY. If a hotel seems to cheap - check it out - you might not have a private bathroom or it could be in located in a bad or near a bad area.

If you stick with the chain hotels, you should be fine. For example: the Best Western in Times Square offers decent lodging at a fair price (given New York hotel rates) and you have lots of things to see and do in the immediate area and you're on the West Side placing you closer to the cruise terminal. By the way, this is not a suggestion or recommendation - I only gave it as an example.

Good luck!

Vinnie

Keep in mind that with PL hotels, especially in NYC, they will put you in the worst of rooms. I tried PL a couple of times during stays in NYC, and I won't do it again... The Radisson on Lex and the Grand Hyatt are two booked on PL that were HORRIBLE rooms, great prices, but would not stay in those rooms again FOR FREE. I have booked the Paramount, Morgans, Helmsley NY and Helmsley PL independently and at times found great rates (under $200).... the best for the money I ever had was the Empire on the upper west side, but I don't think it even exists anymore :( I will post tomorrow evening when I check into Park Central and let you know how it is! Good luck. It's frustrating I know, I have to book rooms there often, but you CAN find some great rates on decent hotels there if you keep checking!!!

It's a 2 star hotel... I generally shoot for at least a 3 star in NY. You can get a 2 star in NY for less than the price they are quoting. Even 3 stars in NYC are not great hotels.... and leave a lot to be desired. I am not sure if I would be willing to go down to a 2. Just my opinion of course. I think I stayed at the Radisson on Lexington for about the same amount... not a great hotel, but in a great location and a decent room for that amount.

Well I read the reviews on tripadvisor.com and there was about 39 reviews. Most of them said it is a good deal - I hope. How did you find the Radisson for so cheap? I found that one to be about $400.

Radisson on Lexington, as far as I know, has never been $400... generally around $170 or so, which is good for the location. I won't tell you what to book and what not to book... but considering some of the "higher star" hotels I have stayed in, and what they were like, I personally would not go below a 3 star... The NY Helmsley, which is nice, is being offered for $146 on Expedia, depending on the dates.... there are some nice 3+ to be had in NY for the same if not a little more than the Travel Inn is charging... It really is always hit or miss in NY. I have stayed probably 60+ times and have had just about everything you can imagine. good luck!!

Gingee, it is a challenge... the worst rooms I have had have been PL rooms. If you do enough searching, you can find one through Expedia or direct for less. That is what I did this time for Park Central. It's a great location... and of course I am skeptical, but we will see tomorrow!!! The reviews have been 50/50, but I think alot of the bad reviews are from people that a) have not traveled to NYC before and b) are expecting too much for too little. I have stayed in some great hotels in NY before, for $400/nt. I don't expect that quality for under $200. If you are using it just for a night before a cruise, you may be fine with a 2 star. Generally I go for at least 3-7 nights, so I want a little more as far as service. Either way, you are just talking one night. Like I said, I will post tomorrow to this thread and let you know how this hotel is... it's a great rate and easy access to most of where I need to be for the week. I'll let ya know!!!! I can also go by the Travel Inn for you over the next few days and let you know what I think (just my opinion of course)...

Another option is AAA.com, if you're a member. We've stayed at Le Parker Meridien (Midtown West - 2 blocks from Central Park) for $165/night through AAA for a room that was listed on the hotel's site for $385/night! We love Le Parker Meridien.

I wouldn't be too concerned about being really close to 12th Avenue. Every hotel in NY is just a taxi ride away. ;)

Priceline can be very iffy for NY hotel rooms. Do you really want to share a bathroom? :eek:

We stayed 2 nights after-cruise at the Radio City Apartments a couple of years ago for $175/night for a 2-bedroom "apartment". While it was pretty tiny and used window units for AC, we enjoyed the location - right across the street from Radio City Music Hall and walking distance to Times Square, Tiffany's and Central Park. They also have Studio and 1-BR apartments. The Studio would probably be a Futon bed with a tiny kitchen/living room and separate bath. The 1-br. would probably be a double bed, bath, and kitchen/living room combined. The 2-br was a bath, a room w/2 twins, room with one double and Kitchen/Living room. All in all, the hotel is not new, tiny and rather shabbily furnished, but it was fine for 2 days for us and we enjoyed being able to cook a few meals.

I think the taxi from the port to the hotel cost $20 with tip. Seems like the taxi to the airport cost $30.

Okay Gingee, just checked into the Park Central Hotel, LOVE IT! Biggest room I have ever had in NYC.. $99 tonight, $109 Tues/Wed. I am thrilled. They only had a handicap room left, so that might account for the size, but it is huge. Very nice hotel, still cannot believe the price. Of course I am beside the elevators, but can deal with that. GREAT location! Heading over to Carnegie Deli for some cheesecake :D If you can arrange this hotel at this price, get room 601!!!!!!! I will definitely stay here again! I'll try to get some pics up for you when I return next Monday!

GoinCruisin - Well, if you had one of the Carnegie Deli corned beef sandwiches, you won't need to eat anything until Wednesday - lol! :D

Yes, please take some pics of the Park Central. Seen the hotel a million times, but never went inside. I'd love to hear all about it and see some pics.

Thanks!

LOL Karen, had one of those several years ago and I think I'm still paying for it! LOL! But they sure are good!!!!!! Okay, now I'm hungry!

I'll get some pics and post them when I get back! So far, since checking in... water pressure and temp is WONDERFUL. and this hotel actually turns the heat on before 8PM!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!! LOL!

Archived