first time cruiser!!!

cece45

me and my family are going on a 7 day western carnival cruise in march. Are ports are cozumel mexico, grand cayman, and ocho rios jamaica.

We have never cruised before and have a few question, it would be greatly appreciated for the help.

1. Has anyone ever been to any of those places? and if yes what are the best things to do at each?

2. We checked the prepaid gratuities, was that a good idea or no? and if not can we change that when were on the cruise?

3. i get motion sick realllllllyyyyyy easy, so im worried i might on the ship? what are some good things you did to help?

4. We looked on each ship and seen the things each one offered. But our shipe (carnival liberty) we didnt see much. anyone been on there and did anything worth mentioning?

5. i read many reviews on food. Most good some bad. I love food and want to know what is good food on the ship? are there certain places on the ship that has better food than others?

I dont expect you to answer all the questions, but if you know the answer to one that will help.

thanks

me and my family are going on a 7 day western carnival cruise in march. Are ports are cozumel mexico, grand cayman, and ocho rios jamaica.

We have never cruised before and have a few question, it would be greatly appreciated for the help.

1. Has anyone ever been to any of those places? and if yes what are the best things to do at each?

2. We checked the prepaid gratuities, was that a good idea or no? and if not can we change that when were on the cruise?

3. i get motion sick realllllllyyyyyy easy, so im worried i might on the ship? what are some good things you did to help?

4. We looked on each ship and seen the things each one offered. But our shipe (carnival liberty) we didnt see much. anyone been on there and did anything worth mentioning?

5. i read many reviews on food. Most good some bad. I love food and want to know what is good food on the ship? are there certain places on the ship that has better food than others?

I dont expect you to answer all the questions, but if you know the answer to one that will help.

thanks

Good morning and welcome to Cruise Critic. You came to the right place for answers. With well over a half a million members this is the place to come for answers.

Let me see if I can help you out a bit... Cozumel is a great beach place. There's a number of great places that receive universally high marks. Check at this link for plenty to read:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Mr. Sancho's and Paradise Beach come to mind quickly...

Ocho is a great place. You HAVE to climb the falls... Dunns River Falls... once you climb the falls you'll always come back to Jamaica. Great fun. Right there at the port is Margaritaville. They've got a real nice beach with great service.

Gran Cayman is gorgeous. Seven Mile beach is one of the most beautiful in the world. Go. You can also go to Hell... a tiny town on the Island from which you can send post marked cards. Lots of shopping and great places to eat.

I prepay gratuities... it's just one less thing to deal with on board...

The Liberty is a big ship.. 952 feet long. These ships are prone to motion but in heavy seas they do move about. I'd suggest getting some ginger capsules from WalMart. Ginger is great at settling upset tummies. Sea sickness meds are available on board for free. Just ask at the Purser's Desk (Guest Services...) or your cabin steward.

Your ship has a Sea Side Theater... lots of fun. Very recent movies are played in the evening out there on the Lido Deck under the stars. Fantastic!

Your ship has a steakhouse! It's an extra charge restaurant, $30/pp, but it's well worth it... easily as good as Ruth's Chris. GO!

You'll have a brilliant time on your voyage. You'll come back just as addicted as the rest of us!!

:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I've been on several cruises and sailed the Mediterranean on the Liberty in 2006. This was one of my favorite cruises. I don't really remember the ship very well (loved our cabin, it was an odd shaped balcony that was perfect for us) we were very busy with ports and making friends that the ship was not so important.

I've been to Grand Cayman once and fell in love with the beach, very beautiful. We are going on a family cruise this summer and GC is one of our stops, I would like to take a boat to Stingray City, but we have young children traveling with us and probabaly won't go this time.

I've also been to Cozumel a few times, this time we'll be going to Chankanaab National Park. There's lots to do in Cozumel, the snorkeling is great and you can swim with the Dolphins there.

Have not been to Ocho Rios.

I suggest you check out the Ports of Call boards on Cruise Critic. There will lots of discussion about where to go/what to do on port days. Also, find the Roll Call for your ship the others will be talking about their plans and you may get some ideas.

Luckily, I've never been seasick on a ship (I had one very bad incident on a small sailboat) so I'm not up on the treatments/preventions but you'll find lots of others willing to share their experiences and favorite remedies.

Have fun and bring an extra bathing suit!

Elsie:cool:

Welcome to Crusie Critic! Between now and the time you sail you will have time to learn a lot about cruising!

I would visit the ports of call section on here to research what there is to do in each port. Great ideas from fellow cruisers, often with pictures of where they visited. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

We prepay gratuities.

Don't stress about the food! I can guarantee you won't go hungry, and will find most of the food to your liking.

Enjoy your cruise!

Good morning, I'll start out by saying I hate the water other than a shower. But I have never gotten sea sick on the boat, but there are meds on board for them.

The above suggestions are awesome, we leave in two weeks and I will say I wouldn't have been able to set the trips up I have taken without this board, well okay I could have set up the trips but they wouldn't have been as fun, or I wouldn't have looked so smart. Your family will be impressed when you come back with the information from this site and wonder how you know all that ;). I checked the ports of call list under each place we are going and look for suggestions most of which you can do on your own without ship excursions. Alot of people use the ship excursions because they are more comfortable with them.

Last do not get discouraged or irritated with this baord, there will be a lot of opinions, some negative comments etc. Just skip by the negative and remember everyone has their opinion the only one that matters is YOURS!

Good Luck and Happy Sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I think I can help with the motion sicknes part, as I also get it bad.

I have been on 3 cruises now and have never gotten sick. thanks to the suggestions from this board.

The Ginger root tablets realy do work. I would take one just before boarding, then another when the ship left port. During the cruise I would take 2 a day morning and afternoon.

I also took Bonnie. It is the same as the non drowsey pills they give you for free on the boat, but I did not want to take the chance that they would not be avaible.

As already said, you can get both a wallmart, the ginger in with the vitiams, the Bonnie near the cold meds.

thanks

First off.... Welcome to CC! Here are answers to your questions.

1. Been to all three. We like Grand Caymen the best. Good snorkeling and diving there! Seriously did not care for Ocho Rios. Cozumel was nice - did a snorkel there as well.

2. Prepaying your gratuities is a good idea in my opinion - just one less thing on the sail and sign card. You can always tip additional amounts to your wait staff and room steward if you wish in cash.

3. Honestly, every trip is different, but this was one of the smoothest cruises we ever had. You can take ginger pills or Sea Bands that can be picked up and most drugstores and Walmarts.

4. Never been on the Liberty - but there are always lots of fun things to do on board!

5. We have never had a truly bad meal opn board the ships - some are better than others - but that's all a matter of perspective.

Have a great cuise!

Welcome to cruise critic. You will learn a TON here. I have never been on the liberty but I have been to Cozumel 3 times and to Grand Cayman. As everyone suggested before, definitely go to the ports of call board. In Grand Cayman we did the Reef, Rays and Rumpoint excursion through an outside company, not Carnival. I have to say it was the best excursion I have ever been on. They take you snorkeling over a coral reef and we actually swam with two nurse sharks and moray eels! A little intimidating at first, but not for long. Then we had a much smaller group to swim with the stingrays which was also awesome. I would say that is an experience everyone should have at least once in their life. Then we went to Rumpoint beach, on the other side of the island and MUCH less crowded. Absolutely beautiful! The only thing I didn't like is we didnt' have enough time there! This was all on my first cruise too and I am SO hooked right now. At Cozumel, we have gone to the same beach. You can take a taxi from the port and they will take you where you can buy a pass to include the water sports things there and/or food and drink. There is also quite a lot of good shopping in Cozumel.

I never really get seasick, but on our first cruise, we were affected by hurricane Katrinia. We took bonine and wore our seabands which are little wristlets that push on pressure points. I am not sure what worked, but nono of us got sick and there were VERY high seas!

As for the food, I have never tried the resteraunt that you pay extra for, but I hear they are wonderful. I have always found the food in the dining room quite good, so I really didn't see the need. Don't forget to order anything you want to try. Most waiters will be more than happy to bring you multiple appetizers, main courses or desserts!;)

You are going to have a wonderful time and you'll have cruise withdrawals when you get back. Have a great trip!

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

We have been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel so those are the only ones I can comment, we did Montego Bay instead of Ocho Rio's. Grand Cayman we just walked around town and shopped, they had a great linen store there, bought the greatest crocheted tablecloth. Cozumel, we have been several times, we shop, shop, shop there, that is the best place to by your jewelry and booze.

Have to go to Pancho's Backyard for lunch. Everywhere you go, they offer you little glasses of Margarita's(yum). And for Sea Sickness, my husband is really really sea sick on ships, he goes to the Doctor and gets a sea sick patch, they are $5 each and good for 3 days each, so for 7 day, I would get 3, just remember to switch to the other ear every 3rd day. They go behind the ear.

You will find out, you get great service on these ships, these people work very hard for their tips, we always pre-paid them, and at the end of the cruise, if I had above and beyond service, I tip them again(usually a twenty for room steward, and dining room waiter).

We have never been on the Liberty, but I think the Conquest is simular. As for the food, we have a routine when we get on the ship, go to the Deli (inside the Lido)just before you get to the buffet, they make the most mouth watering Ruebens, have to have one.

Good Luck on your cruise, and I hope you have many more.

Sandy

Archived