Orca or Harv and Marv

fedorad

I don't think you do know - unless you specifically ask, which is what we did. We had gone with Jay (Marv) in 2008 so I asked Eileen if we could have him again, and she accomodated us. I have also heard great things about their new captain, Steve, who supposedly according to their website, got rave reviews (even more than Harv and Marv:D) last year. Can't remember the new captain's name, but he is also a relative, a brother-in-law of Jay I think. All are wonderful folks, you will certainly enjoy the excursion no matter which captain you get.:p

We selected Orca for a whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier combo tour. Also, our family of 4 (incl an 8 year old) would have had to purchase the entire boat if we went with Harv and Marv since their policy is if you have a child under age 13, you have to buy the entirer boat! No thank you. That was the dealbreaker with them.

Booked Harv and Marv yesterday. Eileen was great - we have nine people going on the 12 passenger boat. With 5 kids we always try for a private excursion. I can enjoy it more if I'm not worried all day about my kids disturbing someone else. I also like the freedom to alter the trip to fit the kids. We found in the Caymans that the kids loved Sting Ray City for about half as long as the usual tour. We were able to move on and we had a great experience.

I was impressed with Eileen. She brought up booster seats for the van and life jackets for the kids before I had a chance. Our tour is late in the day at 2:45, so the driver will take us to Mendenhall Glacier afterwards for a quick photo stop and wait 20 minutes and then drop us off at Mt Roberts Tramway. She told me all about where our ship will dock, what shuttles to take and that the driver will show us where to get the shuttle.

I understand why people like dealing with Harv and Marv's

3mmm

Which company would be best for a couple photographers? Obviously we do not want to soaked our gear, that is really the only concern. Are any of the boats setup to take photos under cover incase it rains?

Both Orca and Harv & Marvs have a place to go inside in case of weather. When I was with Harv & Marv last summer it was rainy/misty most of the trip. Stayed inside alot but their huge windows opened up. Had great chances for photos outside, both in front and back of the boat, as well. For me, Harv & Marv was ideal for photos. With just six of us, and only two of us (non-related) avid photographers, it was literally like a private tour.

Archived