question about laptops on the ship

cece45

Heyyy guyss. This will be my first cruise. I am a college student and will of course have homework while im on vacation. Im going on the carnival liberty. Is there free wifi on the ship?? if not how much does it cost? and would it even be worth bringing my laptop?

No free WIFI... sorry....

Bow to stern WIFI is available but it's pricey. There's a one time $3.95 account set up fee and connect time is $.75/min without a plan. You can purchase a plan for $55 for 100 minutes or $100 for 250 minutes.

The connection speed is slow so try to use the connection early in the morning or late in the evening for best speed.

:)

The other alternative is to find a hot spot in your ports and do your homework there. Most of them charge a few buck an hour and have decent connections...

If it is homework you MUST do, we found a good way to save money. Do any work that you have to e-mail in ahead of time, type up all your e-mails, THEN log in and send everything, get incoming mail and log off. My DH has to keep in touch with his office when we travel, and I like to send updates to our grown children, and we found we save a lot more minutes doing it this way. I also take my laptop so I can empty my camera daily; it makes things easier when I get home and start going through pictures; they are already in folders by port names.

Just like the "good old days" of CompuServe before ubiquitous web access. Peak time access was $25/hour for a 300 bps (not 300 K-bps). We learned all sorts of techniques for minimizing the amount of real online time needed to perform our tasks. :)

Just like the "good old days" of CompuServe before ubiquitous web access. Peak time access was $25/hour for a 300 bps (not 300 K-bps). We learned all sorts of techniques for minimizing the amount of real online time needed to perform our tasks. :)

Ah, yes... but that was before the world of graphics, audio and video ate all the bandwith in the world...

I was PRE-Comuserve... dialing directly into specific data bases... and even pre THAT with usenet...

Sometimes I think we were better of then...

While you're in ports there are much less expensive computer connections... some might be free -- like here... Ask some of the staff/crew for help as to where to go... They like to pay less for their messages too!!!

I hate that you have homework. You really won't want to do it... there is so much FUN FUN FUN to be had!!! I hope that you leave PLENTY OF TIME for FUN!!!!!!

Archived