Can anyone tell me anything about Las Caletas..with or w/o Sea Lion Snorkel

valleymom

Haven't seen any information on the boards about this tour. Anyone have any helpful information for me. I'm wondering if it's too long a day at this beach... if its good for kids... if its a beautiful location... if there are vendors bumbarding you or if its more quiet and secluded, are there places to eat here, etc Any information about it would be helpful!:)

Thanks!

It's been quite awhile since I took this excursion on Princess so I'll do the best I can. The ride down the PV coastline is quite beautiful and I think about 45 minutes or so. Once you get to Las Caletas they will serve you lunch. I suggest using the bathroom facilities on the boat before you get off as everyone rushes to the restrooms once you get there. I had the good fortune of getting off the boat and walking right down to just a few tables right on the sand of the beach and sitting down. I had my lunch right there which was magnificent because the table literally was right on the sand. That portion was great and it is beautiful there. It is quite a long beach day. The thing I didn't particularly like about the long beach day is that there aren't loungers they are actually beach chairs so a long day in those is a long day. I haven't been there since they added the sea lion portion so no comments on that. It is very pretty there. However on my upcoming cruise I have elected to try Yelapa instead of Las Caletas.

The food was really good

I spent two weeks in PV in June and the trip to Las Caletas was one of the highlights of our vacation. Great boat trip, beautiful beach, nice facilities, good lunch and open beach bar. We did not do the sea lion swim as it was $60.00 more. Watched from shore and those who did seemed to enjoy it. The sea lion is brought in a separate boat and then returned to the Dolphin Center Nuevo Vallarta.

Vallarta Adventures (who has an exclusive lease on Las Caletas, the former home of John Huston) is a class act. We took three of their excursions, all were great. The staff is young, entertaining, energetic, enthusiastic, safety conscious and more than helpful with both seniors and children. Boats and all the provided gear was clean, disinfected and well cared for. I understand that they have contracts with all the cruise ships for their excursions.

No beach vendors.

Do a Vallarta Adventures search on You Tube.com and you can see a video of the sea lion snorkel. Also vallartaadventures.com will give you more info about the tour.

Enjoy you time in PV.

I did this excursion last September. It was very enjoyable, and the catamaran ride was actually the best part! The "guides" are so much fun and totally invested in keeping everybody happy.

I didn't do the sea lion encounter, but was snorkeling in the water maybe 20 yards away while it was going on.

My friend got a massage at their spa that she says is the best she's ever had.

We did Las Caletas 2 years ago and had a great time we would recommend it. The boat ride was nice saw some whales. The food was pretty good. Drinks were ok. Bathrooms were modern and nice. No vendors at all. Beach was a little small and no loungers when we went either so be sure to bring your beach towels from the ship.

All and all it was a good excursion and would recommend it.

We didn't do the sea lion thing either but the 3 kids that did had a BLAST from the looks of it. Not many people do it so its VERY hands on unlike when you do it in a aquarium with tons of people. We watched the kids play and laugh and had the time of their lives playing with that sea lion. I would think it would be worth the money since its so hands on and intimate (maybe wrong word but think sea lion and like 3 people) just my best guess.

We didn't do the sea lion thing either but the 3 kids that did had a BLAST from the looks of it. Not many people do it so its VERY hands on unlike when you do it in a aquarium with tons of people. We watched the kids play and laugh and had the time of their lives playing with that sea lion. I would think it would be worth the money since its so hands on and intimate (maybe wrong word but think sea lion and like 3 people) just my best guess.

The day I was there, there was a much bigger crowd for the sea lions (15-20 people and 2 sea lions). If you ever get to St. Thomas, the sea lion encounter at Coral World is fantastic. When I did it, there were 3 guests and 4 sea lions (2 in the water with us and 2 others we got to meet).

We went to Las Caletas two years ago on Norwegian. We are a family of four and wanted to spend the day relaxing. Couple of things to note, the boat ride there was great, get to see a lot of PV. Jelly fish were horrible at the time, so the kids could not swim in the water. My DH had the best massage of his life their in a private outside massage room cost was $25.00. The lunch they served was nice, and free drinks all day long. The kids loved the hammocks, monkeys and parrots. All in all it was a good peaceful relaxing day. Just wished the jelly fish were not so bad. We went last week in March 2008. I would recomend this tour for a family in a heartbeat.

We are actually looking at this same excursion for our February Princess cruise. I had read somewhere that the beach is shaded during most of the day that you are there and the sun doesnt come out until later afternoon, is this true?

Thanks!

We went to Las Caletas about 1 1/2 years ago, and it was a wonderful day. The catamaran ride out was slow and relaxing. When we arrived near the dock, parrots flew out to greet the boat.

We found a wonderful area past the bar that had sling back chairs which were quite comfortable to sit in. Drinks were served by waiter all day and we had our fill. The beach was configured in three small semi-circles along the shore so everyone had a little bit of heaven to enjoy, it was very nice (no vendors). My sister and I had a wonderful massage and the lunch was delicious. They provide organized activities like snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, etc. The people doing the sea lion adventure looked like they were having a ball!

The boat ride back went a little faster and they had music and dancing and fun all the way back.

It is a great day and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!

Vette

Archived