Titou Gorge / Bilharzia

DanielBu

Hello,

is Titou Gorge worth visiting if you do not want to swim in it? Is the hike and the site itself nice enough to be part of ones tour?

Has somebody heard of the bilharzia deseas that can be found in tropical sweet water, such as rivers concerning Titou Gorge?

Thx. for any advice given.

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

The hike from the parking area to the Titou Gorge is a short walk. To me it wouldn't be worth it unless you plan on swimming the gorge. You can rent a floatation device there if you are concerned about that aspect. As for bilharzia, I swam in the gorge and drank water at the waterfall there. That was 4 weeks ago and I am glad to report I have no symptoms. Dominica is a great country and the people are friendly. Just do it!

I just went last week and I went there because my guidebook said it was a must see--it was completely pointless because we did not swim (did not even have our suits so it was not really an option). Unless you plan on swimming, it is a total waste of your time, especially when there is so much more to see.

We took a taxi tour when we got off the RCI Serenade of the Sea's. The taxi driver took us to Trifalgur Falls first. That was spectacular. We hiked to the lookout to see the falls then kept on hiking to the big rocks and sat in the mineral hot springs! We did hire a guide once we got to the hike which was only $20. He showed us some flowers, crabs and tree's along the way and helped us to the rocks and guided us along.

Then onto Ti Tou Gorge. This is a not to MISS!!! Evean if you don't swing GO! They have the life rings you can where. Please note that you should were water shoes as you have to walk on some rocks when you get into the pond before you start swimming into the Gorge. I really didn't know what to expect. It's a natural wonder. You swim through a cavern with fresh clean cold water! Then you get to a waterfall that's beautiful! You can climb up on a platform and dive or jump back into the water. All of us that were there said it was amazing! I would do this again in a heartbeat! It's been a week and I haven't had any symptoms from drinking the water...:cool:

I am not a good swimmer, but really would like to try this. Is the current strong enough that I will have a hard time? Also if you are jumping/diving into the water how much of a jump is it? How deep is the water?:confused:

The current is only a problem if you try to swim into the waterfall itself. A couple feet away, no problem. The water is over your head for a couple of minutes when entering the gorge. Then there is an area where you can stand. Then another minute or two as you approach the fall. There is an area at the fall to rest. The only problem would be if you do it with a large group and everyone decides then need to rest at that area by the fall. There is no diving/jumping/climbing at all unless you decide you want to.

Since I did this alone without a floatation device and had my camera, I did not climb the lower fall for safety reasons. The lower fall is only a few feet high, but safety matters, even in paradise.

Then onto Ti Tou Gorge. This is a not to MISS!!! Evean if you don't swing GO! They have the life rings you can where. Please note that you should were water shoes as you have to walk on some rocks when you get into the pond before you start swimming into the Gorge. I really didn't know what to expect. It's a natural wonder. You swim through a cavern with fresh clean cold water! Then you get to a waterfall that's beautiful! You can climb up on a platform and dive or jump back into the water. All of us that were there said it was amazing! I would do this again in a heartbeat! It's been a week and I haven't had any symptoms from drinking the water...:cool:

I too think Titou is one of the coolest spots in the Caribbean... but only if you wade or swim into the gorge... Urging someone with no intention of entering the water to go there is pointless; there's not much there except the stream clefting into the mountain.

As for the water purity, I'm no expert but Dominica exports drinking water to neighboring arid islands and one of the sources is there at Titou. Visiters will note a fairly large suspended metal transport pipe (6-10") near the road there. That's a water pipe running down to Rouseau.

So, if you take a cab to Ti Tou rather than a tour, can you rent those life rings right there? Are there guides you can hire to take you thru the gorge so you know the safe way to explore and reach the falls? Do you exit the same way you came in or another way? It sounds amazing. We've aleady enjoyed the Emerald pool, so Ti Tou Gorge is next on our list.

You can get the life rings for free at least we did?? They just had a bunch sitting there...You won't need a guide for this one. It's not very far into the gorge - not even a city block and there is not another way out so it's not a hard thing. You will love it. Our taxi driver just sat at the top & waited for us. :D

You can get the life rings for free at least we did?? They just had a bunch sitting there...You won't need a guide for this one. It's not very far into the gorge - not even a city block and there is not another way out so it's not a hard thing. You will love it. Our taxi driver just sat at the top & waited for us. :D

Thanks Geocat, that's just the info I needed. Do you remember approximately how long the ride was from Roseau to TiTou? Just trying to get an idea of how long we would need to hire a taxi for the things we want to do.

Yeah, total waste of time if all you see is a dark entrance to the gorge. You MUST get in the water to enjoy the area and the water is soo refreshing (least after it numbs your body! HAHA). If you are by yourself or with one other I'd just "piggyback" with a group going in that has a guide.

Guest Indigogarden

We are independent traveler's but did Titou Gorge with Levi of Bumpiing Tours. I would not recommend doing this without a guide. Not that it's technical--but it does get deep and the waterfall can vary in intensity. Also where you jump off the waterfall is important since there are rocks under the water. My husband didn't quite jump in the right spot--lucky for him he felt the rock at the bottom but didn't hurt himself. This is a gorgeous spot, but don't be reckless. It is all rock!

The suggestion to 'tag along' with those that have hired a guide is rude. Just get a guide--they aren't that expensive--and support the local's!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Geocat, that's just the info I needed. Do you remember approximately how long the ride was from Roseau to TiTou? Just trying to get an idea of how long we would need to hire a taxi for the things we want to do.

The roads are quite rustic. I would say it took 20 min to 1/2 hour at the most.

Have fun!:)

Guest Indigogarden

We were on Dominica with Levi the middle of January. At that time the road to Titou Gorge was going through some construction resulting in time delays.

As far as wet swimwear--you bring a towel from the ship, dry off as best you can (it wasn't hard as this was the tropics!) and then get in the van and on to the next spot! We asked to leave the AC off since we were very comfortable in the warm weather plus we had the windows down to enjoy everything we could about that beautiful island! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived