Dream Back to Back Pros and Cons

sarakatg

Hi there!

We're considering a 3 and 4 day back to back on the Dream next year and wanted to make sure we're considering all the pros and cons of doing a back to back versus just doing a 7 day. We've never done a back to back and never sailed Disney before, although we've cruised other lines plenty of times. We'll be traveling with a 6 year old, almost 4 year old, and 9 month old. Please let me know if I'm missing anything :)

Pros:

1. Get to go to Castaway Cay twice (DH is not into other Carribean ports and the girls are too little to really doing any adventure excursions at other ports anyway so we're super excited just to go to Castaway Cay).

2. Actually cheaper! We'll save around $200 doing back to back.

3. Brand new ship with watercoaster :)

Cons:

1. Have to experience disembark day twice. I know we can leave our bags in our room and it should be a smooth process, but it does feel like a wasted day.

2. Have to do lifeboat drill twice.

3. Might not be as much variety in activities and menus on 3/4 versus 7 day.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Well I guess it all depends on what you like to do. If you mostly lounge around the pools it would be ok but you will have almost the exact same events on the 2nd cruise. Only difference it the 4th day will offer a little variety and one more show.

Otherwise you shows will be the same, movies may change but the normal events will be the same. Myself I like variety each day.

Thats why I never do them. On 7 day you do have a much a larger variety of events. Plus more ports which I guess doesnt matter too much since your DH isnt interested in them.

But since its a new ship they may have more vents to explore than the Wonder and that may help make it a much better cruise for you.

Myself I would do a 7 day, you can get good prices on them too. Just because I like more of a variety of events.

Good luck with your decision.

On a back to back, you'll have to pay the $200 deposit for each person, twice.

With young children, you'll lose the transition day for the kids club. The other children will change too, so if they make friends or like a particular counselor, that may change as well.

Have a look at the 5 day Dream itineraries, they go to Castaway Cay twice.

We have a B2B booked for the Wonder this summer, and I'm really looking forward to the repetition of everything for this reason:

We *never* get to do everything we want to do on one cruise!!!

Since the 2 cruises will have essentially the same activities, we will have the opportunity to actually do the things we miss the first time out. We can see movies that overlap other activities, try a different dish at dinner or skip it entirely and have room service, or Palo, or just watch movies and eat pizza by the pool! Because there's less variety, we should have more time with our daughter - unless she finds that with the new kids choose-your-activity that she has the same scheduling problems we usually do!

I'm hoping we'll be able to do those overlaps, and still enjoy some reading time on deck, sliding time in the Mickey Pool, and general relaxation. In fact, I count on it - because we should only do 1/2 of the activities we normally hit on a cruise on either of the legs, so should have more time to just *enjoy*!!

Plus, 3 days at Castaway Cay just sounds like heaven to me!

Amanda

Archived