Ketchikan Kayaking

hi08al10

We are trying to decide between two kayaking options for Ketchikan & I cannot find much difference between the two. Can anyone offer more insight into the two options & which one would be the better choice? Thanks so much!

1. Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayaking - van ride, 15 min boat ride, & up to 1.75 hours of kayaking ($153/118) offered through Southeast Exposure - total time 4.5 hours http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000wJnchqpahmZGw5TDH9afMB4:12hdhu93n?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=RD07A057&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=KE05&DestinationCode==

2. Orcas Cove Kayaking - van ride, boat ride, 2.5 hours kayaking, & smoked salmon picnic ($159/139) offered through Southeast Sea Kayaks - total time 4 hours

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips.html

I'd go for choice #2 because it provides for a longer time paddling. We went kayaking in Ketchikan in 2008 but it was w/neither of these excursions, booked thru HAL, took a inflatible raft to a floating kayak camp where we split up into groups of 4 kayaks per guide, and paddled around a remote cove. It was lovely, and wished it was even longer! So there you go, I'd rcommend the longer time paddling! Hope this helps!:p

We are trying to decide between two kayaking options for Ketchikan & I cannot find much difference between the two. Can anyone offer more insight into the two options & which one would be the better choice? Thanks so much!

1. Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayaking - van ride, 15 min boat ride, & up to 1.75 hours of kayaking ($153/118) offered through Southeast Exposure - total time 4.5 hours http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000wJnchqpahmZGw5TDH9afMB4:12hdhu93n?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=RD07A057&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=KE05&DestinationCode==

2. Orcas Cove Kayaking - van ride, boat ride, 2.5 hours kayaking, & smoked salmon picnic ($159/139) offered through Southeast Sea Kayaks - total time 4 hours

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips.html

DH and I booked the Ketchikan Kayaking Tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks. We chose this over Orcas Cove because we will have more paddle time with this trip. Orcas Cove has travel time included in its total time. Almost equal paddle time less $ .. More time to explore town after we finished with this excursion.:cool:

Does anybody know where "Orca's Cove" is? I have checked maps, zoomed in pretty close online, and can't find a cove area with that name. I'm guessing it's more a local name? It is my job to have all the answers in the family, so when DH asks I'd like to have a better answer than, "in the water somewhere around Ketchikhan." Thanx

This is my best estimate based on an excursion with Southeast Sea Kayaks in July 2009. I suspect the name was coined by the vendor. BTW, we had a great time on this excursion and I would highly recommend it.

Does anybody know where "Orca's Cove" is? I have checked maps, zoomed in pretty close online, and can't find a cove area with that name. I'm guessing it's more a local name? It is my job to have all the answers in the family, so when DH asks I'd like to have a better answer than, "in the water somewhere around Ketchikhan." Thanx

Thanks so much for the pic! I knew one of you would be able to pinpoint it for me. We are planning the Orca's Cove trip with a floatplane pickup from the cove. To say we are excited about this excursion would be just a LITTLE understatement. Crossing our fingers that the weather gods are kind to us on this day especially. July seems a long way off.

Thanks so much for the pic! I knew one of you would be able to pinpoint it for me. We are planning the Orca's Cove trip with a floatplane pickup from the cove. To say we are excited about this excursion would be just a LITTLE understatement. Crossing our fingers that the weather gods are kind to us on this day especially. July seems a long way off.

I need to reiterate the information I provided was strictly an estimate based on my recollection, and not through any empirical evidence. Just in case you were planning to use the information to coordinate activities with two separate guide services. If that is your plan, I must strongly encourage you to contact SE Sea Kayaks directly and request either they coordinate with the other vendor, or provide you with exact GPS coordinates of the proposed rendezvous.

Sounds like a great plan and I hope it works out. July will arrive before you know it. Looking forward to your review.

Thanks for your help again. I don't want to highjack the thread, but I also don't want anyone to worry about us sitting out in the water waiting for a plane to pick us up either. This is an advertised combined excursion that we have chosen. I am just a naturally curious mapreading person who has read and researched to the nth degree. (My son is a survival buff/expert: I'm a librarian.) I always like to know where I am and going to. I will definitely post my reviews when we have returned, as I have appreciated all the reviews/tidbits/advice I have found throughout CC and it's only fair to share.

We used SE a few years ago and the $ was well spent. We paddled Orca cove and a couple of the local island/inlets there. Paddled under a majestic eagle and her nest. After the guided tour, we enjoyed a tasty picnic on the boat. We had prearranged for the float plane to pick us up at the kayak boat and flew us to a secluded lake and landed. Standing on shore there was not another man made noise that you could hear. They then flew us back to Ketchican.

We used Ketchikan Kayaking Tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks. They met us at the ship.

There were 4 couples. We had great weather that day and a GREAT young female guide from the area that was getting ready to head to lower 48 for college. She was GREAT!!!

Had good time but found out that kayaking is harder than I thought.

have you kayaked before?

are you fine w/ upper body movement?

can you sit on upright on your butt with your legs straight in front of you for an extended period of time?

first time or with limitations, you may want to take the shorter option, though i'm sure the operators gear their trips to the least abled.

my experience? i build strip wood sea kayaks, i routinely take 5 day trips and have done 10 day trips in the gulf of california (where it's really nice to have a warm butt), i've only done an eskimo roll in the city's swimming pool, i have a folding kayak that allows me to fit it into a cessna 185 and access remote sites, and i really really enjoy kayaking.

be honest with yourself and your abilities.

Archived