Earthquake Hit Near Grand Cayman 5.8 magnitude

bajathree

Well... there goes another port, I guess? Can't have fun their either.

Seriously there are two parallel fault lines just south of the Caymans. The same fault line as Haiti. When the earth moves, it continues to move.

Unbelievable!!

I suspect that earthquakes of varying magnitude are an almost daily occurrence in one part of the world or another and only the tragic events of last Tuesday's quake in Haiti have made any subsequent events elsewhere worthy of mention. Hopefully this recent one off of the Caymans won't result in any serious damage or injury.

CNN says not the same fault line and since building codes are stricter in the Cayman Islands, they do not expect much if any damage there. They did report there was some power outages, however. Does anyone know what ships would be calling there today? :eek:

CNN just reported that this is a different fault line than the Hati quake....they said that only minor if any damage is expected in Grand Cayman as of now as the building codes are much better in GC than Haiti......this is CRAZY:eek:

CNN says not the same fault line and since building codes are stricter in the Cayman Islands, they do not expect much if any damage there. They did report there was some power outages, however. Does anyone know what ships would be calling there today? :eek:

Guess we were both watching and typing at the same time:p

Ok so far in a week

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION 1-12-10

Magnitude 4.6 - OFFSHORE CHIAPAS, MEXICO 1-13-10

Magnitude 3.2 - VIRGIN ISLANDS REGION 1-13-10

Magnitude 5.6 - SUCRE, VENEZUELA 1-15-10

Magnitude 4.7 - COLOMBIA 1-16-10

Magnitude 2.6 - PUERTO RICO REGION 1-16-10

Magnitude 5.8 - OFFSHORE GUATEMALA 1-18-10

Magnitude 5.8 - CAYMAN ISLANDS REGION 1-19-10

Wow makes you wonder whats coming next?

Ok so far in a week

If you've ever looked at an earthquake map, this is very normal. Often times, there are earthquakes you never really feel and on the water, you're certainly not going to feel them.

The Caribbean is also unlikely to generate any kind of significant wave (tsunami) due to the relative shallowness and sea floor topography.

No worries... I'll have another vodka tonic please?

Ok so far in a week

Go back a month or two or a year and see what you come up with. Most likely you will find similar occurrences. Most of the quakes you listed went virtually unnoticed and only the Haitian quake has suddenly raised public consciousness of the possibilities. We have little or no control over such events and if you avoid the Caribbean because of the possibility of another quake, you run the risk of suffering some other natural disaster back home or wherever you travel. Everything we do has a certain risk factor and while we need to act prudently, we can't eliminate all risks in our daily life.

I have seen statistics which indicate that most accidents occur within a few miles of home. Would anyone seriously suggest that we leave our homes and never return to them to avoid those accidents?

If you've ever looked at an earthquake map, this is very normal. Often times, there are earthquakes you never really feel and on the water, you're certainly not going to feel them.

The Caribbean is also unlikely to generate any kind of significant wave (tsunami) due to the relative shallowness and sea floor topography.

No worries... I'll have another vodka tonic please?

Sorry I have no tonic in the house. But you can have some vodka.

I would be worried if one of the 7,000 foot trenches would break off. And cause a wave. All I can hope is that there will be enough Captain Morgan onboard to keep me calm

6009-004-765C48E9.gif

Go back a month or two or a year and see what you come up with. Most likely you will find similar occurrences. Most of the quakes you listed went virtually unnoticed and only the Haitian quake has suddenly raised public consciousness of the possibilities. We have little or no control over such events and if you avoid the Caribbean because of the possibility of another quake, you run the risk of suffering some other natural disaster back home or wherever you travel. Everything we do has a certain risk factor and while we need to act prudently, we can't eliminate all risks in our daily life.

I have seen statistics which indicate that most accidents occur within a few miles of home. Would anyone seriously suggest that we leave our homes and never return to them to avoid those accidents?

My last accident happened within 5 feet of my house. Half my truck was in the backyard and half in the side yard. But yet $800 worth of damage to my truck. So staying home is not an option.

I gotta cruise to keep my truck safe.

A good friend of mine lives in Georgetown and just called me to say that the only thing that told him there was an earthquake was a slight rattle of his desk at work, and a bit of coffee spilled out of his mug :rolleyes:

Sorry I have no tonic in the house. But you can have some vodka.

I would be worried if one of the 7,000 foot trenches would break off. And cause a wave. All I can hope is that there will be enough Captain Morgan onboard to keep me calm

6009-004-765C48E9.gif

Hey... nice map thanks.

LOL about the Captain Morgan. I'm getting ready for my Voyager cruise on Sunday, so had to practice my ordering technique.

Dude... you must have a big truck by the way. Sorry to hear about the damage, but I'm sure it's worth a chuckle in retrospect?

Well, I'm here in Los Angeles and I'm getting a little worried that we will be expecting a big one pretty soon. Sitting here in a high rise building listening to all these reports makes me just a bit jittery. But what can one really do. If it happens, it happens. sigh. Maybe I need so bring me some JD and leave it in my drawers for just in case.

babies12, we get these active periods then everything quiets down again. We live in Riverside co, East of Riverside and two, a week apart, have struck in Banning & Beaumont. The last one was a 4.3 this Sat at around 4 AM. Have you seen the Calif Earthquake site, I check it regularly to see the activity. http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

You and I know very well, we could have that Big One anytime, & I look at Haiti's situation, and say this is a good warning to us here that we better be prepared for the worst. Our buildings maybe better constructed, but dealing with the aftermath will be the challange.

babies12, we get these active periods then everything quiets down again. We live in Riverside co, East of Riverside and two, a week apart, have struck in Banning & Beaumont. The last one was a 4.3 this Sat at around 4 AM. Have you seen the Calif Earthquake site, I check it regularly to see the activity. http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

You and I know very well, we could have that Big One anytime, & I look at Haiti's situation, and say this is a good warning to us here that we better be prepared for the worst. Our buildings maybe better constructed, but dealing with the aftermath will be the challange.

I have noticed that Riverside has been a little active lately and that has given me reason for concern. All I ask is that if it happens that I want to be at home and not at work.

Living out here in Palm Springs, I would want to be here then Los Angelas, no high rises, over passes. We went thru the Landers 7.3 in 1997, with no damage. The 45 seconds of this Sonic Boom noise was the most disturbing, not sure what it sounded like where you are. Reports were the fracture was over 50 miles and felt into AZ & Nevada.

Archived