bringing a non relative minor questions

hlb76

My son will be almost 16 next Feb. We always try to do a cruise Jan/Feb. He asked last night about maybe bringing a friends next year. I have been reading about parents bringing friends for there childern. I guess I have to admitt the thought has crossed my mind time to time.

I am just wondering how you work out all the details. Of course it would never be my treat we can't afford to pay another childs way. I'm sure there are was to make it happen. We have a good PVP.

I dont know if I could talk DH into letting this happen. I honeslty dont know if I am up to the challege of being responsible for another persons child while on a vacation like this. I just figure if I even want to think about it I better give my self plenty of time to weigh options. This is a huge deal in my eyes. Not something I would ever take lightly.

So any suggestions or help with experinces would be great.

It really isn't that complicated. The other boy would need his passport, you should have a notarized statement from his parents that it is ok that he travel with you, and include in it permission to seek medical treatment should he need it. We took a friend of my daughters with us on a month long trip to Australia. Never needed any of the letters but had them in case. I would get two rooms- a balcony or OV for you and husband, and a second inside room across the hall for the boys. Sit down before the trip and tell them what the expectations are. And I would want to know the kid fairly well so that I would know what to expect in terms of behavior.

The first thing you need to do is sit down with the other parents and see what they think. They may nix the whole deal right off the bat. The conversation should be.. my son would like your son to come on a cruise with us. You will need to pay $$$ for cabin, taxes, port fees, excursions etc.. Don't say... we would like to invite your son to come with us. This infers that you are paying. Maybe the whole family would like to take a cruise.. you never know. Good luck.

The first thing you need to do is sit down with the other parents and see what they think. They may nix the whole deal right off the bat. The conversation should be.. my son would like your son to come on a cruise with us. You will need to pay $$$ for cabin, taxes, port fees, excursions etc.. Don't say... we would like to invite your son to come with us. This infers that you are paying. Maybe the whole family would like to take a cruise.. you never know. Good luck.

Of course it would have to be a friend we knew and trusted and from a family that knew and trusted us as well. We dont even have a vacation for next year planned. We leave Friday for this years. I just want to be well prepared when I discuss this with my hubby and then the other kids parents.

To some it might be like inviting the kids to spend the night. We ahve taken friends on trips to the dells and camping but never anything at all like this.

We are hoping to get another family to go with us we seem to every year but the last few years parents have cruised alone. This year our friends are bringing there kids but they are quite younger so not great for hanging out with. My kids do well with younger kids dont get my wrong but my kids are 14 and 9 theres are 2 and 5.

We took my daughter's best friend (they were 15 at the time) with us this past summer on a 7 day cruise to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. We all had a fabulous time and have asked her to go with us again this October. We took a notarized letter from her parents granting their permission to let us take her out of the country and to seek medical treatment. (We were never asked for this document in customs). We had a copy of her medical card and trip insurance on all of us.

I made sure her parents knew at the outset that the only $$ she would incur for the trip was the cost of her passport and spending money for souvenirs in port. We gave both her and my daughter an acct on board (with a limit!). Her parents have not cruised so I answered all their questions. Other than safety concerns which we allayed their main concern was Jamaica and I told him if that was a deal breaker we would stay on the ship in this port. They did eventually say it was ok. We did have a freak accident while in Jamaica and she was almost injured (tour operator's fault). Even though it was scary for a minute, I would not (and did not as noted above) hesitate in inviting her back.

She texted her mom once a day to let her know all was well. It really depends on well you know your child and the child you plan on inviting.

It was a great experience for us. Good luck with your decision! :)

Hi there!

I just thought I would give my 2 cents worth. We are taking my son's best friend on a spring break cruise. My son is 17 and his friend is 16. We spoke with the boy's parents and told them up front what the price is and what the extras are once on board. (Soda card, excursions, tips and any extras he may want) I also told her that trip insurance is a must. We booked an OV and Inside cabin directly across. Since he is a minor and not our child Carnival had to book him in the inside with my husband and I with my son. Once you are on board u go to the purser's desk and switch names on the rooms. I was also able to pay for my portion of the cruise with my credit card and the friend's mom called in with her card to pay her son's portion. The woman from Carnival was very helpful and it was a smooth transaction. My son is an only child and did not want to go unless he could take a friend so lucky for him his friend's mom said sure! The kids are more excited about the trip then we are. Just go over the ground rules! I did and they know it's ok to have fun but if they ruin it by doing things that gets them in trouble with Carnival it will be the last time I ever take them. Also get a notorized letter for permission and medical attention along with a copy of insurance card. Just in case! I did not get asked for this when I took my nephew a couple years ago but you never know.

Kelly

We are taking our son's best friend. My son is 19 and his friend is 19. I don't know if we even need any sort of permissions. Aren't they of legal age at 18? Do we need parental permission as well? And, he has his passport.

We are taking our son's best friend. My son is 19 and his friend is 19. I don't know if we even need any sort of permissions. Aren't they of legal age at 18? Do we need parental permission as well? And, he has his passport.

He's not a minor so they wouldn't ask for the parental permission. You should be good to go.

Archived