Mahogany Bay/Beach

#1Ranger

This morning I booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream for myself and my grandson, and we are sailing on February 6th, only 18 days from now. I have been to Isla Roatan before, but that was before Mahogany Bay was complete. We took an excursion to Tabyana Beach, which was wonderful, but it took a 30 minute van ride to get there, and a rickety old bus on the way back.

What I would like to know is how close is Mahogany Beach to where the ship docks? Is it close enough to walk, or do we have to take a taxi, or is that new chair lift easily accessible?

Thanks everyone

We were also at Mahogany Bay Beach last week! Your grandson will love it! Take the "flying chairs" lift (like a ski lift for only $5 round trip)....it is a gentle ride to the beach. No charge for chairs on the beach!! Sand was white and clean.....just bring bug spray for sand fleas! There is food for purchase and also bathrooms too! There are a few shops opened but nothing great to buy by any means. Had to laugh....people were buying medicine at the drug store.....on the outside of the box it had a good experiation date but on the "crip" the dates expired last year! Buyers beware!!

We were there last week too. Bring cash with you for the chair lift as they were not set up for S&S card or credit cards. I know many mention sand flies/fleas on Roatan beaches but, for what it's worth, our family of 7 did not have a single bug bite between all of us and we did not use any repellant and we did sit in the shade. Maybe they are seasonal. There is also a zipline right inside the Mahogany Bay terminal! It's $40 and people told me it was wonderful - great scenic views coming down. Allow an hour to do it. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone straight there and done that first thing before we went to the beach. They also have clear bottom kayaks for rent ($20 for a half hour) and water trikes. Have a great time. We sure did!

You can also buy the $5 lift ticket, in advance, at the excursion desk. Personally, I thought that Mehgans Bay was waaaay too crowded and would never waste my time there. I was on the Dream and the Crown Princess was there too.

Roatan has beautiful beaches and IMO, this isn't one of them.

This morning I booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream for myself and my grandson, and we are sailing on February 6th, only 18 days from now. I have been to Isla Roatan before, but that was before Mahogany Bay was complete. We took an excursion to Tabyana Beach, which was wonderful, but it took a 30 minute van ride to get there, and a rickety old bus on the way back.

What I would like to know is how close is Mahogany Beach to where the ship docks? Is it close enough to walk, or do we have to take a taxi, or is that new chair lift easily accessible?

Thanks everyone

DW and I were on the Legend in December. Here is a pic of the beach area from our balcony.

191.jpg.3c3094068264e87dfecef0c68b6d0284.jpg

Archived