How many divers on ship sponsored dives?

kathalinamarie

My husband and I have just been recently certified as scuba divers. YEA!!!! We are taking a cruise on the Mariner Eastern Caribbean, stopping in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin. They no longer offer a ship sponsored diving excursion in Nassau. However, we plan to dive in both St. Thomas and St. Martin. In any case, we are wondering what kinds of numbers we should expect on ship sponsored dive trips? Thanks in advance for your input. Kathalina

I have been on ship's dives with as few as ten other divers and as many as 24+. I think they usually tend to be fairly crowded. I would expect a crowded excursion from the Mariner since it is a huge ship (3,844 pax capacity) that tends to attract a more active passenger.

Bruce will probably post on here suggesting an independant shore dive from Coki beach in St. Thomas. He swears by that dive site. Being new divers, I would suggest you look into some local operators that can give you a little more attention than a crowded boat. Also, you would not be held up by the fellow passenger that has not been on a dive in 5+ years and has trouble with everything (there is usually one on ship's excursions).

Bruce will probably post on here suggesting an independant shore dive from Coki beach in St. Thomas. He swears by that dive site.
OK, I have to post now. I do usually suggest Coki Beach, especially for mixed groups of diver/non-divers, or people who what to do a discover scuba. It is also good for people who are trying to save a bit of money. It is a decent dive, but it surely isn't the best that St. Thomas has to offer. If you are looking for the best possible dive for the conditions of that day, you will want to go on a boat dive.

Being new divers, I would suggest you look into some local operators that can give you a little more attention than a crowded boat. Also, you would not be held up by the fellow passenger that has not been on a dive in 5+ years and has trouble with everything (there is usually one on ship's excursions).
I agree with Bull in that you would be well advised to search our local operators. Be honest when discussing your level of experience and you should get looked after as much as you feel comfortable with. Not everyone wants the same level of attention. Personally, I like to set up my own gear and do my own dive. I like UW photography so I like to go really slow. Because of this, I make a terrible dive buddy.

Chris Sawyer has an excellent reputation. Admiralty dive center is another I would suggest you contact. They have small 6 pack boats, so you would definitely not be diving in a crowd. There are other dive OP's on St. Thomas as well. If you do end up going with the ship's dive excursion in St. Thomas, you certainly have have the potential of being with a large group of divers.

We dove with Admiralty in St. Thomas. We enjoyed great personalized service. Marty picked us up at the pier and dropped us back after the dive. They were very safety conscious. Our guide Stacey was great. They set out all our equipment for us, and rinsed it when the dive was over. We would dive with Admiralty again.

My only concern about going with an operator outside of the cruise line is the possibility of something going wrong and being in a position of waving goodbye to the ship from the wrong side of the pier! However, I really do not want to end up with a huge boat full of people...

My only concern about going with an operator outside of the cruise line is the possibility of something going wrong and being in a position of waving goodbye to the ship from the wrong side of the pier! However, I really do not want to end up with a huge boat full of people...
If you are in port the normal times, say around 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and you do a morning dive trip, I think there is little chance that you will miss the ship. If you go to coki as soon as the ship lets people off, then you can easily be done diving by noon. Walk next door to Coral World and get a taxi back to the ship for lunch. Then you'll have the rest of the day to do whatever.

Same goes for a boat dive trip. The operators do know that you are on a cruise and need to be back before the ship leaves. I can't see them making you miss the ship. Usually the morning trip is over by 1:00 pm. I have been on 2 cruises as a diver and have only used the ship's operator one time out of 7 excursions and that was because in St. Maarten we had to tender. I haven't even been concerned that I wouldn't make it back to the ship in time. Of course, if you still feel concerned, I definitely understand where you are coming from and that is fine. You might be better off with the ship's excursion, especially if this is your first cruise.

I'm paranoid the same way, but I have to say that on our last cruise (we've been home only a couple of weeks!), we booked all our dives independently and had NO problem with worrying about missing the boat. We dove in Nassau, St. Thomas, and Tortola.

In St. Thomas, both Admiralty and Blue Island Divers pick you up right in front (literally) of your cruise ship if you dock at Havensite. Both run similar sized boats and are very aware of cruise passengers and timing. They also drop you off at the same spot, so it's a very short walk to the ship. Ironically, the ship's excursion has the same pick up/drop off spot, but they were running 2 HUGE pontoon type boats where they packed snorkelers and divers on together. There must have been 50 people on these boats coming from 3 different ships. I'd really recommend strongly that you consider booking privately in St. Thomas. We dove with Blue Island and had about 10 divers on our boat and didn't feel packed in or crowded at all.

In Nassau, we booked with Nassau Scuba Centre, who picked us up in front of the pier and dropped us off in the same place. Chris Sawyer's bus was in the same spot, so they do the same thing. We were back in more than enough time to get back to the ship, and again these ops are very aware of the time schedule. Again, we dove with about 10 divers and because the conditions were less than ideal (lots of current) wound up with a shark dive that we won't be forgetting for a long time!!

We didn't dive in St. Martin since it's well known to not be a great place to dive. In our case, we were very happy we didn't dive since the waves were running 4-6' and the surge was pretty strong (barf fest!). We were told that this is fairly typical for St. Martin since the dive sites are in the ocean and not protected reef systems like other islands. The divers were spoke to later in the day did not have a good time and enjoyed their afternoons at the beach MUCH more. We spent the day at Orient Beach and just relaxed, enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful water.

Hi! You just knew, Bruce, didn't you that I'd jump in with my defense of the ship sponsored tours, since we all know that the company I work for is one of them!! Didn't you?

First of all, ship endorsed tours adhere to the PADI standards of 8 certified divers to a divemaster. Even if you're in a large group (24) the largest group you'll be in under the water is 8, where it counts.

Some of our guests even comment that they like this system so they can brag about what their group saw over the other group. ("oh, what a horrible shame you missed that giant turtle")

Another issue is safety level. There are alot of policies and procedures that we have to adhere to, and these run the gamut from safety to insurance.

For example, on the insurance front, we are required to keep $2million policies, not only for the shop, the boats, but every single divemaster or instructor you would come into contact with. These are internationally recognisd insurance companies with AAA ratings. I'd wonder if some of the smaller operations are able to match these standards.

Our boats and safety equipment routinely has to be tested, and these tests exceed what is required here by the harbormaster. Our oxygen kits are current, our boats are US coast guard approved.

There's also the time in port issue, discussed before.

Ok, I've said my 2 cents. I also think that either way, whomever you decide to go with, it's all about your needs and expectations, and finding someone who matches if not exceeds them.

The caribbean, especially Cozumel, is one of the most fantastic dive destinations in the world. Get out there,. enjoy it!!

Happy Bubbles!

Kathalina!

MY BF and I were newly certified divers on our cruise too!

I second Coki beach -- Damien is the main DM and he is AWESOME! Coki was my very first warm water dive and it was a perfect way to start off. Very easy (since it is beach entry) and you get to see a bunch of stuff! If you go early the beach is nice and deserted -- we snorkelled and swam in the morning and did our dives starting at 11am. Still made it back to the dock with enough time to shop (liquor and perfume!).

We also dove in St Martin -- it was an experience to be sure. This would be my first boat dive EVER -- we pull out of the harbor and start going to the dive spot and then we stop in the middle of nowhere with the waves at about 6-8 feet. Backward roll into the water was the easiest part -- the waves were coming in so fast my mask was getting ripped off my face and the boat was knocking me in the head. I actually started getting seasick and had to cancel the first dive. I managed to do the second dive and it was nice -- but there wasn't a whole lot to see compared to all of the other places we ended up going on the trip. I've read on a couple of scuba sites (after the fact!)that St Martin is known for the rough waters and little to see.

We didn't do any ship sponsored dives -- but did chat with a couple of the divers who did and they didn't have anything good to say about it (although they were different locations than you are going). We had a LOT of divers on our cruise tho....

Good luck and have a great time!! Even the worst dive is better than sitting here in the freezing cold waiting for a couple of months to see the sun!! :)

Thanks everyone for more information...

Sara, it sounds like Coki beach would be a really good idea. I just did my open water dives at a spring in Florida and think that starting out slow with a nice calm shore dive would boost my confidence. It does not sound like I would enjoy diving at St. Martin very much. One of my few fears about diving is having problems getting back into a dive boat in rough waters. Of course losing my face mask doesn't sound like fun either!

I wonder if it would be possible to squeeze in a dive in Nassau given that I believe we are scheduled to leave Nassau at 2pm? Has anyone been able to successfully swing that schedule?

Y'all are just great to share so much! Kathalina

Hi! You just knew, Bruce, didn't you that I'd jump in with my defense of the ship sponsored tours, since we all know that the company I work for is one of them!! Didn't you?

First of all, ship endorsed tours adhere to the PADI standards of 8 certified divers to a divemaster. Even if you're in a large group (24) the largest group you'll be in under the water is 8, where it counts.

Some of our guests even comment that they like this system so they can brag about what their group saw over the other group. ("oh, what a horrible shame you missed that giant turtle")

Another issue is safety level. There are alot of policies and procedures that we have to adhere to, and these run the gamut from safety to insurance.

For example, on the insurance front, we are required to keep $2million policies, not only for the shop, the boats, but every single divemaster or instructor you would come into contact with. These are internationally recognisd insurance companies with AAA ratings. I'd wonder if some of the smaller operations are able to match these standards.

Our boats and safety equipment routinely has to be tested, and these tests exceed what is required here by the harbormaster. Our oxygen kits are current, our boats are US coast guard approved.

There's also the time in port issue, discussed before.

Ok, I've said my 2 cents. I also think that either way, whomever you decide to go with, it's all about your needs and expectations, and finding someone who matches if not exceeds them.

The caribbean, especially Cozumel, is one of the most fantastic dive destinations in the world. Get out there,. enjoy it!!

Happy Bubbles!

Well said Laura.

In my opinion, unless you have been to Cozumel and already have your favorite dive operator OR if you are very adamant on smaller boats, then you should stick with the cruise sponsored operators for numerous reasons.

1. They cater to the ship passengers therefore accommodating your exact schedule. You can guarantee not to be left behind (unless you find C&C's on the way back to the ship).

2. They MUST meet more rigid standards and inspections than other operators in Cozumel per ship requirements to contract with them

3. Being a one day diver, you will not get to do the more advanced sites or choose your dive site anyway regardless of who you dive with. Remember, there are other people on the boat that have probably been diving a week or several days with that operation. They have a louder voice on the boat as far as site selection goes and may have been to your desired site the day before.

4. They are the only operators that can provide transportation from the ship pier to the dive boat/shop.

5. If there are weather issues or any other problem, it is MUCH easier to communicate from the ship. The activities directors on the ships are in constant communication with the tour operators at each port. You never have to wonder what's going on.

6. There is not a bad dive in Cozumel, so you WILL have 2 great dives no matter who you dive with.

7. The ship dive may be a little more expensive, but aren't the above reasons enough for the extra $10 to $15??? If you are spending thousands on a vacation, what's another $10 to $15?

I'm sure there are more advantages, but I think this gives you the idea.

Sand Dollar is a fine operation and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They would not have grown into what they are today if they weren't.

Dive safe and often :)

SandDollar Laura,

Dare I regress to the beginning? Just how many divers are on a ship's sponsored excursion?

My saltwater diving has thus far been limited to Hawaii, but not on a cruise. One operator had about 18 divers aboard one day and all we seemed to do was trip over each other. The DM/diver ratio was 1:6.

Next month we're headed to Tahiti, on a 10 day cruise, where I have 3 days of 2-tank diving planned. Only one day is a ship's excursion. Following the cruise we're going to Hawaii for 8 days and I again have 3 days of 2-tank diving planned, all with a private operator since we won't be cruising.

So you can see my ship's excursion diving experience will be very limited.

In 2006, we are taking a 14 night cruise to the southern Caribbean. I sure don't want to end up with 50 people onboard after my experience with 18. Is there a limit to how many you take?

Bruce, I broke down and bought an Inon D-2000 strobe, ULCS tray/arms, and an Inon UWL-100 WAL for my C5050. Can't wait to try it in Tahiti and Hawaii.

Denny

Bruce, I broke down and bought an Inon D-2000 strobe, ULCS tray/arms, and an Inon UWL-100 WAL for my C5050. Can't wait to try it in Tahiti and Hawaii.

Denny

That is going to be a really nice set up. You should be able to capture quite a bit of color.

As to how many on the boat, it will depend on a couple of things. How many sign up for the ship's excursion is the main one. Some of the dive operators that the cruise ships use have more than one boat so they probably should use a boat that is large enough for the group and have enough DM's for a ratio of about 1:6. Some operators will add non-cruise divers to a trip to make sure the boat is full. It is just like the airlines, they want to have no empty spaces to make the most money. I can't blame them either. I do have a problem with the few dive operators that over crowd their boat for what ever reason.

I think in Tahiti you won't have any problem with crowded boats. It is just a feeling that I have that of the population that can afford a cruise to tahiti, there isn't a high number of divers. I certainly could afford such a cruise, but then I'd be tapped out, whereas with the same money, I could get 2 trips to Cozumel for my family.

In the Southern Caribbean, if you are going to Aruba, I think I'd avoid going with the ship's excursion there. It is highly likely that it will be redsail. They us a really big boat. I think they also take snorkelers along on the dive excursions, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it will be a very structured, limited bottom time dive. That is fine for a more inexperienced diver who uses up their air quickly, but not necessarily good for photography where slow is better.

For Cozumel, I certainly can't answer for Laura if there is a limit to the number on her trips. Check with your cruise line as see if they have a quantity of spaces on their trips. I think I remember Princess had an 18 for the number of divers on a trip. That could be the potential maximum number for the boat, unless the dive operator includes non cruise divers too.

Please feel free to email me at idiveoregon(at)yahoo.com

I'm sure Sand Dollar is a very professional operation, but DH and I would never consider going on a boat with more than 6 divers. Who wants to dive in a pack of 8? On our recent cruise, we booked independently in Cozumel and St. Thomas and had a divemaster to ourselves on each dive. We got maximum bottom time because we never had to surface early because of an inexperienced heavy breather in the group. On the cruiseline's private island, we had to book through the ship, and lucked out again. We were the only two divers, so had the captain and divemaster to ourselves.

Personally, I set up my own charters at as many ports as the schedule will allow. This is the result of experience aboard many of the cattle boats the cruise lines often charter.

Just a couple of the more memorable dumps was in Nassau, when my son, nephew and myself along with 20 + snorkelers, and a dozen or so divers were dumped in the channel above the cruise ship docks. Or the time my wife had an ear block on a dive in Cozumel and we surfaced to find no boat. The crew was off fishing someplace, not even following the fourteen other diver's and divemaster's bubbles. There are also dives where you know you'd be pushing making the ship's departure. Belieze comes to mind where the distance requires the dive boats bring you directly back to the ship, not the dock in order to be in time for departure.

Now understand I've been certified for over forty years and do have people either I know or are a friend of a friend of a friend, who I can contact to schedule my dives, and that allows me to privatley book a dive operation in ports where the schedule will allow. This means I'm not locked in to a specific daily morning dive time or afternoon dive time. It also permits diving with a minimum of other divers, which I really enjoy, especially when diving wrecks and making videos.

For instance, on my next cruise, I've booked two dives in Grenada on the wreck of the Bianca C, a dive the cruise ships won't touch, too deep at 140'. Right now, there are only two of us diving, my wife and I. The ship is there for eight to ten hours, so no problem. I've also booked two dives in Barbados, one on the Stavronikita and the second on a reef. Again, time is not an object. However in Tortola, we're only in port from 7 till 1, and I sure don't want to miss the ship, and I want to dive the Rhone, so I've booked through the ship.

Most good diving operators in the Caribbean cater to cruise ship divers and will send a taxi, or a van from the shop and actually meet you at the cruise ship dock. They also realize that divers need to be back to the ship at least an hour before departure and will schedule dive locations accordingly.

I think the bottom line is if you have at least eight hours in port, you're probably safe making your own arrangements using a reputable operation like a PADI 5 Star facility etc.

I'm sure Sand Dollar is a very professional operation, but DH and I would never consider going on a boat with more than 6 divers. Who wants to dive in a pack of 8? On our recent cruise, we booked independently in Cozumel and St. Thomas and had a divemaster to ourselves on each dive. We got maximum bottom time because we never had to surface early because of an inexperienced heavy breather in the group. On the cruiseline's private island, we had to book through the ship, and lucked out again. We were the only two divers, so had the captain and divemaster to ourselves.

Who did you dive with in each place? Always good to know who is cruiser friendly.

Personally, I set up my own charters at as many ports as the schedule will allow. This is the result of experience aboard many of the cattle boats the cruise lines often charter.

...Or the time my wife had an ear block on a dive in Cozumel and we surfaced to find no boat. The crew was off fishing someplace, not even following the fourteen other diver's and divemaster's bubbles...

That is interesting considering that there is no fishing allowed in the marine park where you would have been diving. Who were you diving with so we can stay away from them.

Now understand I've been certified for over forty years and do have people either I know or are a friend of a friend of a friend, who I can contact to schedule my dives, and that allows me to privatley book a dive operation in ports where the schedule will allow. This means I'm not locked in to a specific daily morning dive time or afternoon dive time. It also permits diving with a minimum of other divers, which I really enjoy, especially when diving wrecks and making videos.

So who do you recommend in Cozumel, Cayman and Belize?

Most good diving operators in the Caribbean cater to cruise ship divers and will send a taxi, or a van from the shop and actually meet you at the cruise ship dock. They also realize that divers need to be back to the ship at least an hour before departure and will schedule dive locations accordingly.

Disagree. A lot of reputable operators have a strong following of land based customers and don't need or want to mess with one day cruise ship divers. Often the ship schedule doesn't match or even come within an hour of the normal departure times. This is the problem I've had on two previous cruises. Why would they hold back a boat for a couple of one day divers? I can't say I blame them. We had 4 people in Cozumel, so the operation was willing to send out a boat just for us at a time that met our schedule.

I think the bottom line is if you have at least eight hours in port, you're probably safe making your own arrangements using a reputable operation like a PADI 5 Star facility etc.

Why do they have to be a PADI 5 Star? All that means is that they paid to have that rating.

[First of all, ship endorsed tours adhere to the PADI standards of 8 certified divers to a divemaster. Even if you're in a large group (24) the largest group you'll be in under the water is 8, where it counts.

My apologies if I wasn't clear enough. 8:1 underwater. Group size depends on the boat used. Largest boat we have carries 24.

Girasol

On the Cozumel dive I wrote about, I really can't tell you who the operator was, just that HAL's shorex set it up. I also can assure you that the charter boats do go fishing. Since that time, I always use Tony Castillo onboard the Yucab III. You can email him at Castillo@NautiGirlCharters.com. The Yucab is a 40 footer, and I've never had more than 8 divers aboard. Tony also makes the absolutely best homemade salsa.

In Belize, I really think the only choice you have is going with Shorex. I haven't been there since 2003, but unless things have changed, the cruise ships have to anchor five or ten miles off the port. Its about a twenty-five minute run from the ship into shore. Its also a long, long boat ride out to the barrier island where the reefs are. If you book privately, you have to get into town by tender, get a boat there at the Ramada dock, get out to the reef, make your dives, head back to town and hope you don't have a breakdown, catch a tender and hopefully make it back to the ship. The NCL Shorex trip has the boat pick up the divers at the ship and drop them back there after the dives.

As for Cayman, I've dived most of the reefs and now find that my most enjoyable diving is at Eden Rock. I get off the ship, wheel my gear the two blocks to the dive shop, rent a couple of tanks and a locker, suit up, step off the breakwater, and I'm into the canyons and chimneys. Twenty bucks tops!

I also might mention that at least in my experience, I've always either been met by someone from the dive shop, or a taxi sent by the dive shop at the cruise dock, or in quite a few places, picked up by boat right at the dock. Maybe they look at my instructor certification numbers and figure this guy has got to be ancient and take pity on the old guy :eek:

Girasol

On the Cozumel dive I wrote about, I really can't tell you who the operator was, just that HAL's shorex set it up. I also can assure you that the charter boats do go fishing. Since that time, I always use Tony Castillo onboard the Yucab III. You can email him at Castillo@NautiGirlCharters.com. The Yucab is a 40 footer, and I've never had more than 8 divers aboard. Tony also makes the absolutely best homemade salsa.

And, I can assure you that if the charter boats are caught fishing within marine park parameters, they will be heavily fined and risk losing their permits. Considering that marine park permits are next to impossible to obtain these days, losing existing permits is not an option for any operator.

I know Tony and Suzanne actually. They are wonderful people and run a nice personalized operation, Emerald Dolphin Dive Services www.cozumel-diving.net/edds . The Yucab is not quite 40' as it is excluded form going out when the port is closed to boats under 40'. They also offer fishing, outside of the marine park.

I also might mention that at least in my experience, I've always either been met by someone from the dive shop, or a taxi sent by the dive shop at the cruise dock, or in quite a few places, picked up by boat right at the dock. Maybe they look at my instructor certification numbers and figure this guy has got to be ancient and take pity on the old guy :eek:

In Cozumel, the only boats permitted to pick passengers up at the cruise ship pier are the cruise ship sponsored operators or those with special permits or a shop at the pier. I doubt seeing your intructor certification number got you any preferential treatment. Instructors vacationing in Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, etc. are a dime a dozen as are "ancient" instructors as you put it.

Girasol

Gee, so I guess they weren't fishing, just drowning bait, as a former outdoor sports columnist, it sure fooled me. But, my wife and I were left on our own, with our dive boat clearly MIA, and actually were noticed by another boat who finally motored over to us and was able to raise the boat that dumped us on the radio. Those are simply the facts of my experience with a Shorex dive offered by HAL in Cozumel. I also must admit that I was mistaken about dive boats actually picking up and dropping at the curise ship dock in Cozumel. It was actually behind Ernesto's Fajita Factory adjacent to the cruise ship dock. I do agree with you that Tony and Suzanne are wonderful people and are part of the reason I do not dive with Shorex in Cozumel.

I guess you couldn't possibly know what type of treatment I receive if the places I dive, but let me assure you, I don't make an issue of the level of my experience. That's not what diving is about. My diving experience is just that, mine. However, having been in the sport, as well as commercial business for forty plus years, does have its perks and I've enjoyed the company of many divers in many countries who respect that experience and treat me accordingly. Maybe its my certification number maybe it isn't.

I believe this thread had to do with how many divers on ship sponsored dives. Its been my experience that very often, there are too many. I'm not talking about the ratio of DM's to divers, I'm talking the total number in the water, from one boat, at one time, on one site. I recall a Shorex dive where a party of maybe ten divers from the ship I was on were joined by a group from a different ship from a different cruise line, packing the boat to the gunwales. For that reason alone, I choose to book as many private charters as possible during a cruise.

The diving business is just that, a business. The more divers on a boat, within the legal passenger capacity, equals more money for the dive operators. This is simple economics. You can't blame them for wanting to maximize their profits. However, personally, I simply enjoy diving without crowds, and am willing to pay for that privilage. The interesting part about that is generally, my private charters are cheaper than the ones offered by Shorex. Go figure.

Girasol

Gee, so I guess they weren't fishing, just drowning bait, as a former outdoor sports columnist, it sure fooled me. But, my wife and I were left on our own, with our dive boat clearly MIA, and actually were noticed by another boat who finally motored over to us and was able to raise the boat that dumped us on the radio. Those are simply the facts of my experience with a Shorex dive offered by HAL in Cozumel. I also must admit that I was mistaken about dive boats actually picking up and dropping at the curise ship dock in Cozumel. It was actually behind Ernesto's Fajita Factory adjacent to the cruise ship dock. I do agree with you that Tony and Suzanne are wonderful people and are part of the reason I do not dive with Shorex in Cozumel.

I guess you couldn't possibly know what type of treatment I receive if the places I dive, but let me assure you, I don't make an issue of the level of my experience. That's not what diving is about. My diving experience is just that, mine. However, having been in the sport, as well as commercial business for forty plus years, does have its perks and I've enjoyed the company of many divers in many countries who respect that experience and treat me accordingly. Maybe its my certification number maybe it isn't.

I believe this thread had to do with how many divers on ship sponsored dives. Its been my experience that very often, there are too many. I'm not talking about the ratio of DM's to divers, I'm talking the total number in the water, from one boat, at one time, on one site. I recall a Shorex dive where a party of maybe ten divers from the ship I was on were joined by a group from a different ship from a different cruise line, packing the boat to the gunwales. For that reason alone, I choose to book as many private charters as possible during a cruise.

The diving business is just that, a business. The more divers on a boat, within the legal passenger capacity, equals more money for the dive operators. This is simple economics. You can't blame them for wanting to maximize their profits. However, personally, I simply enjoy diving without crowds, and am willing to pay for that privilage. The interesting part about that is generally, my private charters are cheaper than the ones offered by Shorex. Go figure.

WHOA! Hold on there, no need to get so defensive. Frankly I don't know why you got so defensive. There was no ill will whatsoever intended in my response to you.

I am not saying that the boat you were on wasn't fishing, I am saying that it is rare and if caught, it means big trouble. How can you take that personally?

I think you totally misunderstood/mininterpreted my comments about treatment based on cert number, and I'm not going to bother explaining myself if you are that eager to jump to conclusions.

Trust me, I understand alot more than you think about the economics and inner workings of a dive operation.

Relax and enjoy your cruises and your dives.

Kathalina,

You've probably already made your decisions but our advice would be "ask." Call the cruiseline and ask who they use for their scuba trips and then call or e-mail the operator and ask them how many people they take, how big their boat is and how many divemasters they use. Then make your decision based on their answers.

Our experience with ship-sponsored dive trips has ranged from four people to about 20. Both those extremes were great dives and the only bad ship excursion dive we've done had nothing to do with the number of people. We've also never had a dive where there was more than one boat at a given location.

The other piece of advice we'd offer is to look beyond the numbers--a dive with 10-12 or more people with an excellent operation may be way better than a six-person dive with a lesser operator. Put it this way--if your divemaster sucks it doesn't matter if you've got his/her personal attention.

So read these boards and other scuba boards for recommendations, go with your gut and (since I see you're from the frozen North) perhaps you'd like to adopt our motto: "The worst dive at Latitude 20 still beats Latitude 47." We love our PNW diving but being able to dump into bathtub-temp water with few weights and no hoods is our idea of heaven!

Kathi & Leo

Kathi and Leo:

You are very right about the cold/warm thing. Love the water in Michigan in the Summer, but the water in the Caribbean is just too cool (in this case cool meaning warm;P).

In Nassau we are stuck using the ship's tour because we are going to be in port for such a short period of time there is no way to use another operator. Royal Caribbean had inexplicably cancelled their dive trip in Nassau and now it is available again. Since Nassau is our first stop, we will be taking our first boat dive AND our first salt water dive with the ship excursion.

My plan is to be as up front and humble (try grovel) to the folks in charge as to my concerns about getting our salt water weights right and getting on and off a boat with dive gear. Not so much getting off, I got that giant stride thing down! Honestly, If I get really rational, I know it ain't no big deal. I have gotten on and off boats while snorkeling. I have gotten in and out of pools and a florida springs with dive gear. Ok, that is the rational voice. The not so rational voice is AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks for the ear and for the advice. Kathalina

Archived