Tour Saver Book question

starlit

I'm pretty new to cruising and definitely new to Alaksa. I just found out about this book, it seems great. Does anyone ever sell these books after their cruise? I only need 1 coupon and I'm sure a lot of people buy the book to use a coupon or two. Any advice on the best way to get one? If I do purchase a book, is there a market to sell my book to someone? I didn't find any one ebay.

Here's the deal on the Toursaver:

When you buy the book, in order to use the coupon you have to take the entire book with you, and the vendor tears out the coupon. Any coupon torn out of the book is invalid. That means you can't buy the book, remove the coupon you want, and pass the book on (or sell it) to someone else. Likewise, no one can remove a coupon and pass it on to you.

Having said that, no one is going to list a coupon book on eBay until AFTER they return from their trip, because they must have the book with them to use any coupons themselves. The most likely candidates to sell the book are those traveling early in the season, and the most likely candidates to buy the book are those traveling later in the season. You will find Toursavers on eBay after the Alaska touring season begins. (May)

Toursavers are not permitted to be bought or sold on Cruise Critic, so the only way to acquire one is to buy one outright, pick one up on eBay or another online auction site, or make a private arrangement with someone traveling to Alaska either before or after you are.

Toursavers are not permitted to be bought or sold on Cruise Critic, so the only way to acquire one is to buy one outright, pick one up on eBay or another online auction site, or make a private arrangement with someone traveling to Alaska either before or after you are.

Last year I offered my used Toursaver book for free on Cruise Critic and it wasn't a problem. All I asked was that they pass it on to someone else.

A couple of years ago I had 6 TourSaver books (we travel in a large family pack.) I listed them on Ebay & they all went. We went in June and people who were going in August & Sept snapped them up. As we stayed near the coast for a week before our cruise, we used quite a few of the coupons. We saved like 5 tmes the money we had spent on the books.

My family is going to Alaska with the book and we are only using 1 of the coupons. For us it was worth it to have the book just to save on one excursion. I plan on selling mine off after our May cruise. If I only get a few dollars back on it on Ebay, at least I save more than what I was originally planning on spending anyway.

LOOOOONG story;)...we bought our first toursaver book and left it at home!!! When we arrived in Anchorage (June '09), we went to Carrs (Safeway and bought a second one. We saved a lot of money (3 days RV rental with 3 days paid, riverboat, etc.). When we got back home, we listed both on e-bay and they sold quick. My advice would be list one on ebay if you go early in the season, or shop for one if going later in the season. Most importantly, have fun...I wish we were going back:o.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and as of right now, will only be using 2 of the coupons. I was going to wait until closer to the cruise date since we don't go until June, but one of my excursions wouldn't book without the book number. I will sell on ebay when I'm back but I don't care what I make since I saved so much by using the book!

I sold mine on Craigslist for $50 last July.:) I am from Michigan and I sold it to someone from Iowa. I shipped it out to her, we used Paypal.

This is good to know. I'm returning in July and was worried that it might be too late to sell them since it's pretty much in the middle of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like none of you who have purchased the toursaver book have "listed" it for sale here on CC (since it is against the rules). I don't want to break any rules, but it sounds like iamaqt2 is cruising prior to my June cruisetour, so I'd be happy to send a nominal amount to you for your trouble if you would be interesting in passing on your book to me. I'd be particularly interested in the Temsco 2-for-1 if you aren't using it. Let me know if interested at drnriordan@yahoo.com. If I'm breaking rules, someone please let me know. Thanks much!

When we booked our passage on the RR for July 2010, they told us, "we know it says not to rip out the coupon but we want you to". They initially charged use the full price and they had us send the coupon into them in the mail and they credited our account for the full price of the second ticket within days.

• 2 months later...
I just got mine in the mail yesterday and as of right now, will only be using 2 of the coupons. I was going to wait until closer to the cruise date since we don't go until June, but one of my excursions wouldn't book without the book number. I will sell on ebay when I'm back but I don't care what I make since I saved so much by using the book!

Ebay is pretty strict about selling tour books (they don't allow it but there is a chance you wont get caught), I wonder if you were able to? I've seen them on Craigslist (as another poster mentioned). And further more CC doesn't allow you to post them, it seems they make it pretty hard to sell.

I'm hoping to sell our 2 when we return in mid June. Never tried selling anything on EBay or Craigslist or anyplace else. I guess this will be a learning experience. We won't be using many of ours since we started so late, but just the one we are using is enough to pay for the books. I notice that a few, including the Portage Glacier trip, say that you can only use one ticket per group. Since I bought two books for the 4 of us- do we go in seperately or what? Anyone encountered that?

Archived