AA Meetings on board for a friend

texasnana

Yes, Friends of Bill W. has been held on Princess and Carnival when I have sailed. I never knew what that was until I asked someone on my last Princess cruise. I would imagine that RC will offer the meetings as well.

They are no longer posted in the Cruise Compass, but the time and place of the meetings will be the Community Bulletin Board which is usually by the Pursar's Desk.

Just a bit of an update. The times of the meetings are no longer listed but the meetings are listed in the area that says "24 hours" at the beginning of the daily schedule. They mention to check the Bulletin Board.

On the Jewel earlier this month, DH and I were doing our daily walk on the Promenade because it was raining, and we were cutting through the doors just before the theater to go from one side to the other (instead of going up to the helipad). Anyway, we noticed the Friends of Bill W meeting sign outside a small room facing the theater (part of the Conference Center). We glanced in because we saw an open door before we noticed the sign (we were not being nosy!) and it was set up with tea and coffee. We walked by the room many times (we walk for an hour) and the room was empty the whole time.

All this to say that if your friend really has to attend the AA meetings, s/he should know they may or may not take place. It would be hard, I'm sure, to go thinking that s/he will have the support of the meetings and not be able to get it. My best to your friend!

There is not a moderator from the cruise staff assigned to the friends of Bill meetings. Rather the book is left on the table and it's up to the group to moderate the meeting . Even if you are the only one , it's still a nice quiet place to go to daily to help keep structure in your life. If you don't travel with your AA book, than it's nice to know that one is available if needed. As with any meeting no one wants to be the first, so that lends to the problem of no one attending. Don't be afraid to be the first and sit alone for a few minutes, they will come.

I endorse the previous comments. My experience, which is limited to two prior cruises with RCL, has been that there were attendees at some of the scheduled meetings but not all of them. The odds are on any given cruise there is more than one member of "Friends of Bill W" however circumstances such as shore excursions precluded them from attending a meeting. :o

Even if I cannot attend a meeting, I check the bulletin board daily for the schedule as my plans could change. I place a card under the meeting announcement listing my first name and stateroom number indicating other "Friends of Bill W" are welcome to contact me. :D

I understand the issue of anonymity is different for each individual and it was especially critical to me in early recovery. :cool: Most passengers do not know what the phrase "Friends of Bill W" means nor do they care. Maybe a card on the bulletin board would help your friend.:rolleyes:

I endorse the previous comments. My experience, which is limited to two prior cruises with RCL, has been that there were attendees at some of the scheduled meetings but not all of them. The odds are on any given cruise there is more than one member of "Friends of Bill W" however circumstances such as shore excursions precluded them from attending a meeting. :o

Even if I cannot attend a meeting, I check the bulletin board daily for the schedule as my plans could change. I place a card under the meeting announcement listing my first name and stateroom number indicating other "Friends of Bill W" are welcome to contact me. :D

I understand the issue of anonymity is different for each individual and it was especially critical to me in early recovery. :cool: Most passengers do not know what the phrase "Friends of Bill W" means nor do they care. Maybe a card on the bulletin board would help your friend.:rolleyes:

That's really nice. I think the people who know what "Friends of Bill W" means would find that helpful. Coming from a family that has many "Friends of Bill," I know they would appreciate knowing there was someone else on board in case they were looking for support.

I have a friend that is also a Friend of Bill W, and he shared this story with me and I wanted to share it on this thread for those who may find it helpful, (in case they are slightly discouraged at the lack of attendance on ships)..

He was in an airport and heard an announcement:

"Friend of Bill W-- please report to Terminal "X" (a specific terminal at this airport)

Being a Friend, he went to that terminal, and found several other friends who were talking to an individual that was in need of support. He said it was a very reassuring feeling, knowing that even in a place like this, there is support if needed.

I'm sure the same would happen on a ship, if needed. I think the card on the bulletin board is an excellent idea-- just to let people know that someone is available.

Happy Sailing!

Archived