WHO was your FAVORITE waiter in MDR?

Cardancer4

Komang, our head water from Indonesia, on our Glory sailing. Remembered our names, always had a smile, loved to chit chat at the end of dinner when he had time, asked what we had done/were planning to do in ports, really enjoyed the kids. He was the best Carnival crew we've had on any of our cruises thus far.

Edited by MamaParrotHead

Onesimo from Hounduras, our head waiter, and Jeffrey from Costa Rica, assistant head waiter on our Glory 2009 trip. They were just all around fantastic. Friendly, efficient, humourous and attentive while working so many hours. They were especially attentive to the 4 teenage girls in our travelling party with jokes and showing tricks. They best I've seen on any cruise on any line. Glad that we all submitted such glowing reviews not only on the survey but sending on emails to the corportate office and they were thrilled when selected as employees of the month.

The one that brings me 2 extra lobster tails on formal night:D

Ive only had bad service in the MDR once in 15 years I cant remember his name but all my servers have been wonderful otherwise

Twanboo from Thailand on the Holiday. I had the pleasure of having her as my head waiter for two cruises in a row. She is now gone to Galveston, TX on the Ecstasy and is serving on the same ship as her husband for the first time in 5 years. Not sure what her new title is but she was promoted and is a supervisor in charge of MDR waiters. Once she found out that I spoke Thai that is what we spoke for the rest of the two cruises. I think it sort of annoyed the rest of my table mates, but it was fun for the both of us. It was specialy good for me as I don't have a lot of oportunites to keep in practice with my Thai.

Terence from India on Price 2/?/02 - Our first "family" cruise and he was the best we've ever had - we compare all to him and they may be good - but never as good as Terence. Knew everyone's name the first night and how we all liked our meat cooked etc. Never seemed rushed. Just the absolute BEST!!!!

Twanboo from Thailand on the Holiday. I had the pleasure of having her as my head waiter for two cruises in a row. She is now gone to Galveston, TX on the Ecstasy and is serving on the same ship as her husband for the first time in 5 years. Not sure what her new title is but she was promoted and is a supervisor in charge of MDR waiters. Once she found out that I spoke Thai that is what we spoke for the rest of the two cruises. I think it sort of annoyed the rest of my table mates, but it was fun for the both of us. It was specialy good for me as I don't have a lot of oportunites to keep in practice with my Thai.

I thought it was considered extremely rude to carry on a conversation in a language that the majority of the people in the group don't understand. I don't think I would want to risk offending my tablemates by doing so. And I wouldn't want to get the crew member in trouble either, I think that Carnival wants them to speak English when in public.

As far as memorable MDR crew. They have almost all be very friendly, efficient and in some cases entertaining. I appreciate them taking care of me but learning their names and making note of them isn't something I usually do.

I did have one waiter on the Freedom that was from Croatia and didn't have much of a personality one way or the other. He was efficient, just not at all friendly. In his defense, this was the inaugural voyage and the crew had not worked together before and I don't think he actually knew anyone else. He just took our orders and served our food, which is okay, that's all I needed him to do.

On the Dream this past December we changed our table assignment for the 2nd evening and the waiter was terrible. Many orders were incorrect at most of his 4 tables, disappeared for LONG periods of time. Apparently the 1st evening hadn't been much better. Several of the gentlemen went collectively to the MD and the waiter was moved back to the crew mess for more training and the 1st assistant was promoted to head waiter.

I thought it was considered extremely rude to carry on a conversation in a language that the majority of the people in the group don't understand. I don't think I would want to risk offending my tablemates by doing so. And I wouldn't want to get the crew member in trouble either, I think that Carnival wants them to speak English when in public.

As far as memorable MDR crew. They have almost all be very friendly, efficient and in some cases entertaining. I appreciate them taking care of me but learning their names and making note of them isn't something I usually do.

I did have one waiter on the Freedom that was from Croatia and didn't have much of a personality one way or the other. He was efficient, just not at all friendly. In his defense, this was the inaugural voyage and the crew had not worked together before and I don't think he actually knew anyone else. He just took our orders and served our food, which is okay, that's all I needed him to do.

On the Dream this past December we changed our table assignment for the 2nd evening and the waiter was terrible. Many orders were incorrect at most of his 4 tables, disappeared for LONG periods of time. Apparently the 1st evening hadn't been much better. Several of the gentlemen went collectively to the MD and the waiter was moved back to the crew mess for more training and the 1st assistant was promoted to head waiter.

Thank you for your input but was not looking for a criticism of my post.

but was not looking for a criticism of my post.

but wouldnt expect anything less from the CC:eek:

I wasnt offended I was impresed you knew Thai :)

Edited by jonbgd

but wouldnt expect anything less from the CC:eek:

I wasnt offended I was impresed you knew Thai :)

Thank you, I lived in Thailand for a couple of years and it was a matter of survival and just good manners to learn it.

Plus I was sent to the DOD language school, so I was happy to take advantage of the oportunity.:D

Thank you for your input but was not looking for a criticism of my post.

I wasn't trying to criticize your post, just mentioning what I thought was not just a point of social etiquette, but also the potential jeopardy that you may have put the crew member in.

I believe that John Heald had a discussion on his blog just recently about passenger criticism of crew members who didn't speak very clear English and the "rule" that they speak English whenever in the public area of the ship.

Sorry if you were offended I guess that's the risk that we each take posting on a public forum.

In 2006 we had our first family vacation on the Legend out of NY. The DH and 4 children ages at the time: 20,17,16 and 8. Whenever the kids talk about our cruises the first thing any of them mention was our waiters "Giddy and Goose". That's was how they introduced themselves as their names were hard to pronounce. They catered to us every evening and joked with the family daily. Even when we were not in the dining room. We saw them many times throughout the ship. A few times they hung out with us on the outside decks. We have many pictures of them with the kids. I have never had a wait team yet that has come close to their status. I hope they are both doing well and still doing what they do best!

Sensation (Jan 17-21,2010) Ecstasy dining room server,

Tatyana from Lithuania & her asst Andi from Indonesia.

Very friendly & talkative, & even ran to the kitchen to suprise my 10 yr old with brownies when she noticed his chocolate addiction. This was Andi's first cruise but you couldn't tell, he kept right up !