Which port (in west caribbean) is best for scuba diving?

travelbug323

My hubby and I will be traveling on the Carnival Glory.The ports: Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan. He has one request only for the entire cruise and that is to SCUBA DIVE!!

Any help would be great!!!!

I've dove in Cozumel and Belize and thought Cozumel was better -nothing beats the ease of a drift dive. But Belize didn't suck! :D

You should do a wall dive in Grand Cayman - that's world class diving. Belize is also supposed to have some fabulous spots, but I haven't done any diving there. You should check with a local dive company to make sure your port times will align with their dive trips. Check the Scuba boards here for some recommendations.

See CC message boards- Discussion Topics - Snorkeling and Scuba

Roatan, easy choice, much less dive and snorkel activity so the reef is pristine. i would go to the West End on my own (taxi) and find one of the dive shops which are plentiful. A short boatride and your on a number of fantastic reefs. Snorkeling is good there as well. fish life is abundant.

Cozumel is second but the best reef is Planacar and its a decent ride and takes alot of time so planning is more difficult. The other reefs are basically ok but devoid of much fish due to hurricanes. I did have one of my more memorable dives there as a tourist "sub" came out of the blue and powered 20 feet from me. A boatload of tourist waving through the underwater portholes and undoubtibly wishing they were me.

Never dove Belize but always because of lack of time. Dove Cayman many times. there is a easy and inexpensive spot called Eden Rock right near the port. Not a great dive but very inexpensive as you can shore dive.

Wall Diving is what you go to Cayman for but this is also very time consuming as the walls are quite aways from the docks, and make it undoable unless you are there for an unusual amount of time.

I would choose Roatan first. Belize and Cozumel are good as well. Really, and of these would be fine. I've had wonderful scuba trips to all of these, years ago, pre-cruise. Probably most importrant is see what you can arrange. Can you get picked up at ship's dock someplace, and brought to dive boat? What stops are your longest? (That would be best - it can take a while to dive.)

One last thing - Make sure you're not diving within 24 hours of having flown anyplace - coming or going. On a cruise, I think you're safe, however.

Kathy

Just my two cents worth, OK maybe three... We've been on the Western Itinerary 4 times and dove every time.

Belize was OK but our least favorite. Marine life was the most sparse and water visibility was poor. It was a long ride, although pretty, from the port to the reef. The operator anchored right in the coral. We had a pretty good surge that day due to the 5-6' waves. We will do something other than dive next time we go, soon.

Grand Cayman has a great shore dive at Eden Rock and I used them for a boat dive as well. Marine life is good but visibility has been hit and miss. I will say that the "bad" day was about 30' visibility, which is still good, very little current the times I have been there. Will be doing the shore dives shortly.

Cozumel our best so far, been there every cruise. Water clarity has always been great, marine life plentiful and well taken care of. Drift diving is an escalator under water... get on and enjoy. The Santa Rosa Wall dive is breath-taking and very popular. We will be there soon.

Roatan.... Haven't been there yet...Yet. We leave on Feb 7th on the Valor and will be there on the 10th and have already booked a 2-tank dive on the West End. I have heard that the diving there is great. I look forward to taking many pictures

Hope this helps...

Archived