Smuggling Booze No More?

sailor44

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']and since people post pictures of how they are getting booze online and others post how they are getting their booze onboard you are giving Carnival all the answers.

Seems to be a game of cat and mouse.

Bill[/quote]

lol i confess to being just too lazy to go looking for booze after the plane lands or i'd have tried smuggling myself, yet these ideas, devious really; im afraid:p

as another poster indicated, we're in habit of budgeting for booze on board; so no biggie for us. Im wondering though, if truly a big clamp down, maybe the increase in bar revenue will result in lower fares? [SIZE=1]not[/SIZE]

[quote name='Texas Realtor']Bon Voyage doesn't sell liquor or am I missing something. TO me it is a convenience issue. My wife loves Franciscan Merlot, but that is not offered through bon voyage.[/quote]
Yes you may buy wine and liquor in advance of cruising by the bottle....

[quote name='Texas Realtor']Thanks. For the info. I will call tomorrow. I will let you know what they charge me.[/quote]

Probably won't reach them tomorrow as you need to call them Mon - Fri 0900 to 1730 EST.

I just ordered 1 bottle of Absolute vodka $40
1 bottle of Capt. Morgan spiced rum $40
1 bottle of Malibu rum $60

All bottles are the 1.75ml size, so the "big" bottles. Spendy yes, but I will enjoy them.

[quote name='Texas Realtor']Thanks. For the info. I will call tomorrow. I will let you know what they charge me.[/quote]

I'd be curious how much they charge for Johnny Walker Black Label these days...

They aren't open on weekends but here is some contact info:

Our knowledgeable Customer Service representatives are available to answer your questions about our products, help you make a selection, and take your credit card order. You can reach our BonVoyage/Gifts and Services Department by telephone, toll free, at 1-800-522-7648 during the following hours:
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm, Eastern Time
Phone orders are accepted up to one week prior to sailing. Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network and American Express accepted.
Customer Service is closed Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

[quote name='Roscoe13']Probably won't reach them tomorrow as you need to call them Mon - Fri 0900 to 1700 EST.

I just ordered 1 bottle of Absolute vodka $40
1 bottle of Capt. Morgan spiced rum $40
1 bottle of Malibu rum $60

All bottles are the 1.75ml size, so the "big" bottles. Spendy yes, but I will enjoy them.[/quote]

If 1.75ml size, you really got ripped off. I believe they are typically 1 liter bottles = 1000 ml.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']If 1.75ml size, you really got ripped off. I believe they are typically 1 liter bottles = 1000 ml.[/quote]

D'OH!! I just looked at a bottle at home and it is the 1.75 LITRE size.

Dang metric sysytem anyway.

We were on Freedom last week. Packed original sealed bottle in each checked luggage, plus carried on a bottle of wine. Also, when we were in Jamaica we bought 2 bottles of liquor (gifts) and a six pack of red stripe (not a gift:D) and put it in our backpacks...what's the worst that could happen, they'd hold it till the last day? Nope, right through the xray machine, no questions asked. Funny thing was, I noticed the liquor check in table after the scanner. The guy looked half asleep. I also noticed there weren't any checked liquor packages anywhere.

And just for the record...we purchased plenty of drinks onboard!

[quote name='Roscoe13']D'OH!! I just looked at a bottle at home and it is the 1.75 LITRE size.

Dang metric sysytem anyway.[/QUOTE]

you did not get ripped - you actually got 1750 mils the litre is 1000 mils so it ain't dang it is wooooeeee. What it kind of rounds out to is 1000 equal to your quart 1.75 is 40 ounces a whole lot more than a quart. So you done good.

[quote name='Chacooe']There is that old saying, "NEVER SAY NEVER, BECAUSE IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!!!"[/quote]

Don't tug on Superman's Cape?

I'm already on borrowed time. It's ok, I've made out like a bandit. I can't take it with me.

I'll give away a common sense freebie - divide and conquer. Don't put it all in one bag. Check about 50 bags and put a small amount in each (a slight exaggeration). Even if they find one or twenty, you still get the bulk through.

:)

[quote name='sailor44']Looks like Carnival may be cracking down on smuggling - changes to their liquor policy.

From Carnival's FAQ website:

Can I bring liquor on board?
A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

[B]Liquor and Beverage Policy
[/B]
Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, [B][COLOR=Red]only in their carry-on luggage[/COLOR]. [/B] A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. [B]All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages [COLOR=Red]will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. [/COLOR][/B][/quote]

That's how it's always read in my experience, or at least how I've always read it. ;) What's changed?

[quote name='Tbay-eh']you did not get ripped - you actually got 1750 mils the litre is 1000 mils so it ain't dang it is wooooeeee. What it kind of rounds out to is 1000 equal to your quart 1.75 is 40 ounces a whole lot more than a quart. So you done good.[/quote]

but Bon Voyage doesn't sell the 1.75L (+/- 1/2 gallon to Americans) size. In the duty free shop, perhaps.

Through Bon Voyage, I once purchased a bottle of JW Black Label (scotch) and I was told it was a 40 oz size - it wasn't. I forgot the exact size but I think about a liter. Not all brands are available, and not cheap, but cheaper than buying by the drink.

Think the metric system is confusing? Heck, US pints and UK pints aren't equal - 16oz vs 20oz.

[quote name='Roscoe13'][URL="http://www.carnival.com/Redir.aspx?ciid=649&cachename=advertising&PageGroupId=35&url=http%3a%2f%2fcarnival.victorydyo.com%2f%3ficid%3dBFunTees"][IMG]http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/promo_content/Banners/210x170_funtees_banner.jpg?CEVT=%7BT=CAMP,CI=649,PG=35,EVT=DOWNLOAD%7D[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

[quote name='cruise_crazy68']Does someone have the # to call Bon Voyage I cant find it on the website. Also does anyone know if they deliver in Galveston?[/quote]

From Carnival:
[B]Note![/B] Please note, due to restrictions with "Alabama and Texas Liquor Laws"
We are unable to deliver select gift items at Embarkation. Some items are delivered the following day.

So, you will get it, its just be in your room when you embark.

I keep seeing people mention that they purchase their booze after they get off the plane and then pack it in their checked luggage before boarding the ship. Is there any reason for this that I don't know about yet other than weight? I was under the impression you could have alcohol in your checked luggage on the plane.

Tracking it down after I get to CA is going to be a pain in the butt..and for the piddly amount I'm taking I'm not worried about the weight..would much rather have my rum runner all loaded and ready to..um..run.

[quote name='KruznKel']LMAO.. do tell your secret??? Rum runners??? what come on.. you must tell your CC friends:p[/quote]

On our cruise in Oct we took 6 bag/bottles of the rum runners and they all made it!! Even our one bag who was late getting to our room, still had all her goodies in it!
Where there is a will there IS a WAY.

Has anyone sailed out of Tampa since the policy change? Did you lock your suitecases? Did you have Rum Runners and still got caught??

We are leaving in three weeks, just bought Rum Runners and were planning to try them out....what do you think??

Carol

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']but Bon Voyage doesn't sell the 1.75L (+/- 1/2 gallon to Americans) size. In the duty free shop, perhaps.

Through Bon Voyage, I once purchased a bottle of JW Black Label (scotch) and I was told it was a 40 oz size - it wasn't. I forgot the exact size but I think about a liter. Not all brands are available, and not cheap, but cheaper than buying by the drink.

Think the metric system is confusing? Heck, US pints and UK pints aren't equal - 16oz vs 20oz.[/QUOTE]

750 ml = 25.4 oz

1 L = 33.8 oz

1.75 L = 59.2 oz

Archived