Booking autoprogresso at the pier ?

grammy c

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY where to find this place? I,ve heard the pier, and then someone said the flea market, which I'm not sure where that is. Is it before or after going thru the shopping area? Have been there once, but was picked up by the ccl excur. people. Not doing that again if I can help it. Help, please! :D

Hello,

We can help you. When you get off the ship, there is a circular store with alot of liqour and perfumes. By pass that and you will walk on a path that has flea market style shops on each side of you. This is the path that takes you to the buses that take you from the pier into Progreso. There will be someone along that pathway near the end with an autoprogresso sign advertising the city and mayan ruins combo tours. They will be located in the front of their shop. To put you at ease, you can't miss it. We use autoprogreso everytime we are there. Hope this helped. Happy Cruisin!!

Hello,

We can help you. When you get off the ship, there is a circular store with alot of liqour and perfumes. By pass that and you will walk on a path that has flea market style shops on each side of you. This is the path that takes you to the buses that take you from the pier into Progreso. There will be someone along that pathway near the end with an autoprogresso sign advertising the city and mayan ruins combo tours. They will be located in the front of their shop. To put you at ease, you can't miss it. We use autoprogreso everytime we are there. Hope this helped. Happy Cruisin!!

Thanks for this helpful tip!! This info is helpful. Since you have toured with them before, both my friend and I are really want to do the city tour of Medina. Do they have alot of people in this tour? Also, do we have time after to shop in the area and return by taxi (how much this cost?) or by the bus?

It may be best for you to hire a taxi to take you to the Dz ruins, wait while you tour, then take you into Merida's historical center. Most people that have reported doing this said the cost was $40-45. When ready you can either take a taxi (about $25) back to Progreso or take the bus ($3.00). This way you are not part of a herd moving at someone else's pace and interest. Merida is very safe.

Hello,

Cruisin Cajuns, Thank you sooo much! That is exactly what I needed. And WHAT ABOUT THOSE SAINTS! Happy cruisin! Diane:D

We just returned a few weeks ago from a Carnival cruise and booked a city tour to Merida when we got off of the pier in Progresso. This is how it worked for us. Carnival has free shuttles that take you from the cruise ship into Progresso. The pier is about 3 miles long and it takes about 10 minutes to drive the pier. It just so happened that the "free shuttle" provided by CCL to get us into Progresso was an Autoprogresso bus (I guess they hire out the local buses). So before we got off of the bus, the guy got on the bus microphone and told us that he was with Autoprogresso and if anyone wanted to book a tour with them, to follow him. The free shuttle basically drops you off in an area that looks kind of like the meeting point for all the shuttles and has some shopping, bathrooms, tour stand, etc all set up. It was easy. We got there at about 9:45 and just made it for their 10:00 tour (or maybe it was their 10:30 tour, not sure). We booked on the spot. We enjoyed the tour. We were a full bus of people but I never felt too crowded. We made one stop at a monument, then went on to Merida. He took us through the church for a quick tour, then pointed out places of interest around the plaze square. I think we had about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to walk around, which was plenty of time to shop, get ice cream, and see a museum on the square (free admission).

I am not 100% sure that all of the shuttles used by CCL to get the people into Progresso are from Autoprogresso but ours was.

We just returned a few weeks ago from a Carnival cruise and booked a city tour to Merida when we got off of the pier in Progresso. This is how it worked for us. Carnival has free shuttles that take you from the cruise ship into Progresso. The pier is about 3 miles long and it takes about 10 minutes to drive the pier. It just so happened that the "free shuttle" provided by CCL to get us into Progresso was an Autoprogresso bus (I guess they hire out the local buses). So before we got off of the bus, the guy got on the bus microphone and told us that he was with Autoprogresso and if anyone wanted to book a tour with them, to follow him. The free shuttle basically drops you off in an area that looks kind of like the meeting point for all the shuttles and has some shopping, bathrooms, tour stand, etc all set up. It was easy. We got there at about 9:45 and just made it for their 10:00 tour (or maybe it was their 10:30 tour, not sure). We booked on the spot. We enjoyed the tour. We were a full bus of people but I never felt too crowded. We made one stop at a monument, then went on to Merida. He took us through the church for a quick tour, then pointed out places of interest around the plaze square. I think we had about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to walk around, which was plenty of time to shop, get ice cream, and see a museum on the square (free admission).

I am not 100% sure that all of the shuttles used by CCL to get the people into Progresso are from Autoprogresso but ours was.

This is the exact info that I needed!! This will allow us a tour and some time to walk about on our own.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a local tour guide,but this is a good backup!!

If any of you have any questions, e-mail autoprogreso as we did. We wanted to know if the church would be open for the city tour. A rep contacted us with the info that it would be open, gave us instructions on where to meet at the pier, what the person who would meet us looked and dressed like. Now that's service. On our first trip the church was closed and we didn't know about it. This time it will be open. Happy Cruisin and Diane, you go girl :D GEAUX SAINTS!!

If you schedule a tour and have time before it starts, or just messing around in Progresso take the 1/2 hour double-decker bus tour of Progresso. Only $2.00 and gives a great overview of a pretty community. (Be sure to go upstairs-watch out for power lines)

We took the Autoprogresso tour to Merida, pronounced MAER-a-duh. Here are my thoughts:

1. Beautiful city- worth seeing-not touristy- very safe-police on every corner.

2. Autoprogresso is very reliable, when coming back a little late they took us directly out to the pier rather than back to Progresso to save time.

3. We arrived downtown slightly late-cathedral had just closed-disappointing.

4. If you want to shop, skip eating. We only had a total of one hour.

5. Tour guide was humorous and very informative.

As suggested earlier if you want more shopping time, take a taxi. Tell them to take you to the Cathedral in downtown Merida. You will pass Sam's Wholesale Club, Costco, and a number of chain hotels and restaurants.

In Progresso one of the best places for shopping for souvenirs (wine, candy, other food items) is the one grocery store. 5 minutes by taxi.

Same applies in Cozumel: huge grocery store on main drag that has clothes and other items beyond food.

We went to these locations on the Ecstasy last January and are doing it again on February 20th.

Archived