World Cruises, are they worth while?

trevgbb

Having done Baltic, Med, Canaries, my wife is now dropping heavy hints about doing a WORLD, 100+ days, can I cope, over 3 months of the same thing, the same meals and the same table companions, the same bars, the same quiz in the Golden Lion, the same clothes, it all gets so samey, even , dare I say it, boring,doesn't it?

OR does it?

My personal opinion (and it is just that- and no I have not done 104 days on a World Cruise) I think that there must of necessity be a certain amount of sameness.

You could have changes in table companions as people do segments of the cruise thereby causing a turn over. You could also request a change of table after say 2-3 weeks, though this could be ambarassing meeting your ex table companions, better to start with a table that has segment people from the beginning.

You will be able to recycle your clothes of course , especially if you have mix and match outfits.

Entertainment wise, there will be a number of single acts, or local folk acts. There are of course a large number of ports, depending on your interests, these could become a tad tiresome.

How many ancient monuments can you see? Not forgetting that often seeing X means a LONG drive from the ship. For instance Ayes Rock would require very LONG drive, a day there and a LONG drive to next port of call, and of course $$$$

I have done 4-5 weeks at a time, and I have travelled around the world, recently I was asked questions from someone who thought an ad for a World cruise showed a "really good price" when I did a true figure comparision,supplement, tips,port tax, Gvnt tax,Ins,spending money on board (drinks even for coffee),Tour costs. etc she was shocked to find out that the final figure would in fact cost 250% more than the ad stated.

No, you don't get bored.. at least none of my friends did. Actually, they were quite surprised how quickly time flew by.

There are activities on WC's which you don't find on regular voyages.

If you book a WC early enough, your hotel and dining gratuities are complimentary. You also receive onboard credit based upon the length of your voyage and cabin category.

Many people arrange their own tours independent of Cunard.

The luxury consortiums also have included shore excursions for their groups.

Grill passengers receive a number of complimentary excursions from Cunard.

We were on maiden voyage of QV WC. I thought 99 days would be too long, but as the end grew nearer, we regretted the fact that we would be parting from new friends who had become very close. There were some ports I would not wish to visit again, but some I would consider living in. You will find, if you allow yourself to do it, that you will make good friends with various crew members. They are eager to talk about their families and their home. We knew we would be giving notes of thanks with cash...we knew that before we started from previous experiences. We also brought along tee shirts from our town in Florida which we gave as gifts in addition. You will be on board for holidays. The ship will recognize them.....often with lavish food displays. Remember how you used to pack games for your kids to use on long trips? Might I suggest you bring along some tasks you wish to complete. Mine was a daily diary which included pictures and was sent to a large group of friends. Certainly take the classes. Learn bridge. Write that novel or short story. Enhance your photographic skills by creating photo essays on a particular subject. Make use of the extensive library. You will see everyone carrying a book. Perhaps establish a fitness regime for yourself. After the first week or so, I began to eat more sensibly for breakfast and skipped the delicious French toast in favor of oatmeal so I could splurge at noon and at night. If you are the man in your couple, offer to participate in the daily ballroom dance classes. After you wife recovers from her faint, gird your whatevers and do it. It is great exercise and no one else will give a damn how you manage since they probably are trying just as hard. Your kids used to say "Are we there yet?" My guess is you will, by the end of your journey, say, "I hope we are not there yet!"

Set forth Magellan and have the bangers and mash for me...

I realize that I made some assumptions which might be incorrect with regards to the dancing. We are a gay couple who will celebrate 45 years of togetherness in September. We did not/do not dance. We did take the line dance class. Not knowing I just assumed you were ...well you know what I mean. If you are then offer to dance with your lady. If you are a gay female couple, women seem to be able to manage dancing with each other and not attract attention. Guys can do it in the disco and no one will notice. Unfortunatly at our ages, we can't stay up that late. ;)

My husband and I were on the last world voyage of the QE2, and we can't say enough about it. When we unpacked, knowing that the cabin and ship would be our home for the next three months or so, we seemed to relax like we have never relaxed before.

We made friends with the Cruise Critic group for the trip before we even left, which made for a ready group of friends when we arrived onboard. We couldn't have ordered up a nicer group of people from all walks of life (and from lots of different countries). We had pre-arranged to meet up on the night we sailed and on the first night of each segment -- meeting up with CC members on each segment as they boarded. That group made our trip! What a great group of people--who even to this day communicate on CC.

Did we ever get bored? With the ports we visited, the speakers and entertainment we had, and the people and crew onboard, there was no way we could get board. And, if we had a few spare hours, the library on board filled the hours.

If we had any criticisms, it would only be that we got a bit tired of all the formal nights, which was easily solved by going to the Lido on the QE2 (Kings Court on the QM2) for a less formal meal occasionally.

The dinner for those on the World Voyage was one like we have never attended before. My husband, who is a man of few words, couldn't stop praises it. You really are treated well as a world cruise passenger.

When people asked me if I got tired of the trip, I say that I could have continued sailing beyond our final port of NYC--this after living in a very tiny cabin on the QE2.

Go--you will never regret it. Remember, it is the things in life that we don't do that we regret the most. Opportunities like this don't come along often in life.

Archived