Wotton Waven OR Soufriere Sulphur Springs

DanielBu

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment on Screw's Spa as I have visited it twice. The first visit was a couple of years ago and the changes made since then have been remarkable. Gone are the narrow, sometimes tricky footpaths and rough-edged pools.

Screw has invested considerable time and money improving the spa experience to include sculpted pools and water features as well as creating a second cabana where you can store your towels and shoes while wallowing in the blessed soothing pools. There is also a nice little bar and fresh fruit sampling available.

I would love to know if you can just take a cab to Screw's and if so how much is it? How long does it take to get there? Thanks.

I can only comment on Screw's Spa as I have visited it twice. The first visit was a couple of years ago and the changes made since then have been remarkable. Gone are the narrow, sometimes tricky footpaths and rough-edged pools.

Screw has invested considerable time and money improving the spa experience to include sculpted pools and water features as well as creating a second cabana where you can store your towels and shoes while wallowing in the blessed soothing pools. There is also a nice little bar and fresh fruit sampling available.

I would imagine that taxis could take you there, however, I have only ever gone as part of a tour. Mind you they were custom tours with the Spa a specific stopping point. I can tell you that entrance to the spa is $10 pp. A sign says it is $10 per hour but I know that we only paid $10 per person. In truth I'm not sure how long we were there but I believe it was for longer than an hour.

If you do hire a taxi I would recommend hiring them to stay on until you are finished. Wotten Waven is a little remote, perhaps 20 or 30 minutes from Roseau (I'm just guessing but that's how long it seemed) and doesn't seem to be the kind of attraction where taxis just hang out. It may be possible to call a taxi from the site but that's something you'd definitely want to arrange ahead of time.

Thank you for your reply:) Who did you use for your tour and what did it include besides Screw's. There are just 4 of us. Any idea the cost? Thanks

I would imagine that taxis could take you there, however, I have only ever gone as part of a tour. Mind you they were custom tours with the Spa a specific stopping point. I can tell you that entrance to the spa is $10 pp. A sign says it is $10 per hour but I know that we only paid $10 per person. In truth I'm not sure how long we were there but I believe it was for longer than an hour.

If you do hire a taxi I would recommend hiring them to stay on until you are finished. Wotten Waven is a little remote, perhaps 20 or 30 minutes from Roseau (I'm just guessing but that's how long it seemed) and doesn't seem to be the kind of attraction where taxis just hang out. It may be possible to call a taxi from the site but that's something you'd definitely want to arrange ahead of time.

We had a group of four and toured with Beno (Ben-Oh) of Beno's Nature Tours. The cost was $250 for all four of us. This did not include a $5 pp fee to get into Trafalgar Falls (this was an optional stop that we agreed to) nor the $10 pp for Screws Spa (which is what we designed the tour around).

The cost may seem high but broken down works out to about $65 per person. Included in the price were plenty of cold drinks (beer, water and soda). While we have greatly enjoyed less expensive tours (on other islands), lower prices typically meant larger groups. The price difference for a private tour was well worth it given that the tour operated on our schedule tempered by Beno's knowledge of the island and the time it takes to get from place to place. While there may be tour operators who can offer the tour cheaper, we have visited Dominica twice and twice used Beno. We have never been disappointed.

Dominica has a number of beautiful natural sights and Beno was very flexible in coming up with a itinerary that allowed us to spend as much, or as little, time at the stops as we wished. Knowing how much we enjoyed the spa last time through we asked if the tour could finish there giving us as much time to luxuriate in the water as possible.

Thank you:)

We had a group of four and toured with Beno (Ben-Oh) of Beno's Nature Tours. The cost was $250 for all four of us. This did not include a $5 pp fee to get into Trafalgar Falls (this was an optional stop that we agreed to) nor the $10 pp for Screws Spa (which is what we designed the tour around).

The cost may seem high but broken down works out to about $65 per person. Included in the price were plenty of cold drinks (beer, water and soda). While we have greatly enjoyed less expensive tours (on other islands), lower prices typically meant larger groups. The price difference for a private tour was well worth it given that the tour operated on our schedule tempered by Beno's knowledge of the island and the time it takes to get from place to place. While there may be tour operators who can offer the tour cheaper, we have visited Dominica twice and twice used Beno. We have never been disappointed.

Dominica has a number of beautiful natural sights and Beno was very flexible in coming up with a itinerary that allowed us to spend as much, or as little, time at the stops as we wished. Knowing how much we enjoyed the spa last time through we asked if the tour could finish there giving us as much time to luxuriate in the water as possible.

The ship didn't dock until 10 and we found Beno at about 10:30 or so. he was just outside the pier area and is fairly well known by both the pier security staff and other tour operators. After some nifty driving to get his van out of the press of tour vans and taxis our tour started in earnest. I would estimate that we were back at the pier by about 3:30 pm though I'm sure he would have kept us around longer if we had so desired.

Being part of a private tour gives you, and the driver, far more flexibility than a larger tour as part of a mixed group of travelers. While I wouldn't hesistate to recommend Beno (we've enjoyed his tours twice already), I would definitely suggest you go with a private tour if you want to see specific sites and enjoy them on your own schedule.

Our ship stopped in Dominica on Feb 2. We walked off the ship asked how much for a taxi for two people to the Screw Spa and a short tour of the island. Inside the port area we were quoted $120, outside the port we were quoted $40, and I said how about $35? We were taken to the Screw Spa and set a time (2 hours) for the driver to return. He was right on time and gave us a short tour to the botanical gardens and the overlook for pictures. We paid at the end of the day and did give him a very good tip! :D

P2020029.jpg.cb1deda4c8a7c547dbac991b3905a08e.jpg

P2020017.jpg.c195482dfa8e4bdad33393841bdae0ea.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your recommenation. I e-mailed Pascal Beno for my visit on Thanksgiving of this year. He has been amazingly helpful planning a half day for us around our proposed visit to Screw's Spa

Thanks

Peter

Archived